Thread: My new project

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar

Lightbulb My new project

I have been wanting an old car for a long time, and have a good friend that knows a ton about them. He is one of those guys that can fabricate a masterpiece in his head and make it come even better.

Anyway, I bought a '62 Skylark that he's been sitting on for many years. He knew I was looking, and I just kept saying I want something different. Once I drove to his house for the first time, I knew this was it. My friend Steve has a helluva collection and a real passion for this stuff. I washed it up, and we now have it on the rack at his house. I Went over Sunday for the second time and began taking stuff off the car preparing for my replacement goodies to come in. This is going to be a great project for an apprentice like me. I won't spoil all the surprises, but I Will post update pictures as we get it coming around.

This is my Skylark as it sat before the bath
    1962 Buick 3.jpg

This was after soap and water - All original (for now) and all straight, no rust issues
    After 7.jpgphoto 3.jpg

A few of Steve's creations as we moved them around the shop to get mine in there. The shop is packed full of neat stuff ready for a museum! LOL
    This is a bubble top impala and his Woody. The Studaber truck is his latest project. He just finished putting the final touches on it last week.
    Steves Toys.jpgStudabaker.jpg

2. Not a member
    Thats cool Bobby. Always wanted to do the same. Started one once but didnt have the patience to see it through. Good luck and post pics when your done.

Enjoy Bobby, looks like a fun project.

Neat project Bobby

5. Member
    Very neat car Bobby. Enjoy your project.

6. Member
    That is nice. I use to have a olds like that it had a 285 alum V6 if I remember correct. Wounderful find.

That's really cool, Bobby!! Keep us posted!! I watched Tom Cruise in "Jack Reacher" the other day, and they just totally destroyed a cherry 1970 SS 396. I wanted to cry!!

8. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by westexbill View Post
    That is nice. I use to have a olds like that it had a 285 alum V6 if I remember correct. Wounderful find.
    This is the same power plant. 61-63 "Y" body car. Cousin to the Olds, Tempest etc...
    Not many around anymore. I plan to sell the entire drive train at the Pate swap meet this April for more than I paid for the whole car

The Dynaflow 2 speed tranny, and the aluminum V-8 are still sought after. I plan to add a little more rumble under the hood and get the car prepped to accomodate it......

9. Member
    Fun project! Good luck and keep us posted! That looks like a monster shop. Wish I had one.

10. Member
    This should be fun for you, I love projects like that. All of mine have been Jeeps. It's pretty satisfying to turn nothing into something.

Very cool Bobby, fun project What you gonna slip under the hood?

~~~~~ Bury my soul where the blue bonnets grow ~~~~~~
    https://www.mccainfishing.com/

12. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I've always wished I had a place with a shop where I could do a car project. I've had 2 in my past that I would love to have a sample of either, a 64 Grand Prix (421 HO w/3 deuces) and 69 Cougar XR7 (428 4 bbl). If your Tempest is all original, it may be worth more than restored. I've been watching Chasing Classic Cars since inception and I drool every time it comes on ... . Love that 61 bubble top, those are some of the coolest cars Chevy built IMHO. Good luck with your project!!

13. Member
    Way cool. My first wife's dad had a 62, powder blue convertible. Beautiful car.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

14. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    Karl,
    My litle car is going to have a 383 Stroker motor, Dart block, forged crank, H beam rods, Howards ca, Dart Pro 1 heads, Dart dual plane with a quick fuel 750SS carb...and maybe a few other goodies along the way.

Reggie,
    You're right. The true Buick guys have already disowned me when they heard resto-mod in their circles on the internet........
    I should make more off the drive train at Pate swap meet than I paid for the car. I plan to do the right thing, and give some of that money back to Steve for his kindness.
    He really, really has hooked me up with not only a car, but his mad skills and new friendship. I look forward to learning and watching a master at their craft as we put this together. His son has inherited his Dad's skill also. He paints and does a ton of custom work as well. The main reason for getting away from the original motor is it just couldn't get enough ponies. Some folks get these old motors and the new turbo from Range Rover who now owns the design this engine came from. It still won't compare. I know it will never be of great value at auction, but I don't have any plans to sell it after it's finished.

15. Member
    that is a great looking project!!! have fun with it and take pics along the way. I have done a number of projects similar to yours. lots of work but worth it in the end!!!

Sounds like a great plan for the power, Bobby
    Last edited by pYr8; 01-14-2015 at 09:30 AM. Reason: brain fart

~~~~~ Bury my soul where the blue bonnets grow ~~~~~~
    https://www.mccainfishing.com/

Lookin good Bobby! That's neat man, sounds like yer pretty stoked and soon to be stroked!

It will be cool to see your progress, keep us posted.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

Nice looking project! It hard to find them in great shape now days. I got two project cars I need to get rid of.

19. Member
    What do you have Kev my bud is looking for a project.

I have a '64 chevy II wagon with a inline 6 and 3 on the tree I think?? And a '66 plymouth fury vip with a 383 super comando. Both need some glass, body and interior. Been sitting around the farm for 15+ years.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast