anyone tried the vexilar sonar phone

A friend of mine just showed me the new sonar phone by vexilar with navionics. He is thinking about getting it for the front of his boat instead of replacing his hummingbird. Curious if anyone has used this and if so what was your set up? He is wanting to use it with an I pad, but make the mount weather proof. If you haven't seen it there is a video on YouTube vexilar sonar phone and navionics app. Curious for input...

3. Member
    I haven't seen the particular video that you're talking about but have used iPads and iPhones outside and on a clear sunny day I don't think the screens are near as bright as a fish finder.

2010 Triton 190 Escape w/150 Optimax pulled by a 2016 F-150 FX4 SCrew 3.5 EB

I think I'd spend my money on a fishfinder I can use in the rain....Great for bank fishermen though.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KSPropbender View Post
    I think I'd spend my money on a fishfinder I can use in the rain....Great for bank fishermen though.
    Lifeproof case will fix that. I'd honestly rather have the iPad with a brighter screen that I could easily take inside at the end of the day to review waypoints, or use to surf the internet, etc. A lot more bang for the buck. The navionics app also lets you make waypoints and then attach pics...especially helpful on reservoirs where the water level is dropped significantly during the winter and you can get out and take pics of structure.
    Last edited by ClaySlayer; 01-11-2015 at 09:34 PM.

2010 Triton 190 Escape w/150 Optimax pulled by a 2016 F-150 FX4 SCrew 3.5 EB

My luck a 60 lb flat head would eat my transducer and break my line!

The video I watched the guy mentioned that WiFI had to be turned on in your phone. I'm sure this is just to pick up the transducer signal right? I hope your phone doesn't need to be a WiFi hotspot because that will cost you about 30 bucks a month service fees or at least that's what Sprint charges.
    Last edited by NKY TRITON; 01-13-2015 at 03:38 AM.