Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    IMO too many people count out an electric steer motor without ever even trying it. Seems as though there is a lot of "well I heard this guy who said this" or people not even learning them. Yes I like them and yes they have some pros and some cons, however I truly believe someone should spend a coupe of outings on a boat with one before making a judgement.

2. Member
    I have been running the MG Xi5 PinPoint GPS 105# 60" 36 Volt for over four years now on a ZX250 Skeeter and do now ever intend to be without one. It take the work out of running a trolling motor. Anchor in place and do not have to loose location while tending to a catch or re-baiting. I only use the remote fob for control.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    I run the MG Xi5 as well, and have been for about a year and a half. Really love it when fishing in open water, when I have to retie and thing like that. Shallow water not so much. Mine (and I can't speak for all) has a tendency to move me side to side than actually anchor me. I've completed all the calibration steps than MG says do, but as for holding close to still doesn't really happen. If I head into long creeks, with over head trees, I loose the satellite signal and those swings back and forth become dramatic. It's even come close to backing me up onto the bank a couple of times. It will shift from slow to high in seconds and you have to be ready to react quickly. I've been in a friends boat who has the MK Ultrex and when I can afford one, on my next boat probably, I'll go with the Ultrex. I cannot use the foot pedal that comes with the MG Xi5, since it's no where close to a trolling motor normal foot pedal. The Ultrex was easy to steer shallow water or deep. It also held us in place with little to no movement. I'll be getting a quick release bracket so I can switch back to my foot controlled motor for the spring bed fishing.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

4. Member
    Had an Xi5 on my last boat. Great for fishing off shore with some wind. Terrible for beating the shore. The things go batshit crazy when its calm constantly correcting. Was great for fishing with my wife. Anytime should would get a tangle, put it into anchor mode and no stress lol. New boat has an Ultrex. No comparison IMO.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Go ultrex forget motorguide..

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sethwvu View Post
    What are you thought and/or experiences with the Motorguide XI5 with pinpoint? What voltage are you using and how is battery usage?
    I've had on for 3 yrs. 36 volt never had any problem with battery fish all day with wind battery indicator always green. linked it via. nema 2000 to my HDS carbons this year now I can operate trolling motor from my touch screen as same as remote. you can pick an icon on your map tell it to go to set speed it will take you to it ie brush pile or whatever you marked. made my own prop leg for the head unit so no bounce in rough water. I love it no problems so far

7. Member
    I have had the ultrex and xi5 and I choose the ultrex hands down. Better control, better durability, better battery life and more features. It's a no-brainer.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    I have had the ultrex and xi5 and I choose the ultrex hands down. Better control, better durability, better battery life and more features. It's a no-brainer.
    exactly

9. #FRB
    I bought my Xi5 before I knew the Ultrex was coming out. If it weren't for the spot lock being so nice I'd put the dinky 45lb thrust Edge back on that came OEM on my Tracker. I've gotten used to the foot pedal but still miss the control of a cable steer. Since I'm not made of money it will be a while before I buy an Ultrex. Maybe I'll go Ultrex next spring? At the time though the Xi5 was a way better motor than the Terrova and I was and still am a Minn Kota guy. The Xi5 was just the better tool for my needs at the time. Now, as for the battery light on the Xi5...mine has been solid green with two mostly dead batteries so that light can't be trusted.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

I bought a used basscat with an xi5 on it. I was always a mk guy and still prefer the cable steer but, I am impressed with the xi5 capabilities. The Anchor feature works great on a lake but I also fish a river with current running 3-5 mph and it does suprisingly well there. I frequently fish around the wing dikes where the current is the strongest and back eddies are moving you in opposite directions. This would be tough on any manufacturers "anchor or spotlock" feature. The current changes any second in velocity and direction. This xi5 handles it as well as my buddy with the ultrex. The electronic foot pedal took a little getting used to but I have adapted fine as I think most anglers could. I would still prefer the "cable steer" but for the money I will use this xi5 happily until it is dead.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

Love my Xi5. No issues that were not my own fault. Anchor mode is great and the complaints about the pedal are exaggerated. Would get another without hesitation.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

12. Member
    Here's my two cents as I was in this position two years ago. For my boat I was going to need a method to move the Xi5 back away from the bow due to the over hang and having it hang on my bow roller. The combined cost of the Lift Saver plus the Xi5 put me in the same money range of the Ultrex. So I went MK. Both are good motors.

13. Member
    I have had both the Xi5 and now the Ultrex. Let me sum up the feedback expressed in this post as it falls right in line with my position. It all boils down to your fishing style. The Xi5 is a good TM for the offshore guy, the crappie guy that wants to sit on the deep brush pile, or the walleye guy who is constantly on the move in a straight line. Lots of power but easy on the batteries. For the shallow water fisherman like me Ultrex is the way to go. In and out and around docks as well as other structure Ultrex is a work of art. Yes you can kind of adapt to the pedal on the Xi5 but it will always be a half baked solution IMO. Spot lock and Anchor mode are both good and I consider them equal. I do prefer the position of the spot lock button on the Ultrex over the anchor button on the pedal of the Xi5 because it is easier to hit with a recessed foot pedal. Again it boils down to fishing style as to which TM is best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    It pulls this 1800lb. boat along just fine, fished smallies in 3-4 foot seas in november on lake ontario, w/plenty of control ,
    Good looking setup

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Go ultrex forget motorguide..
    Go Xi5, forget Ultrex.

Depends on how you fish. I have the 24 volt xi5 with built in transducer. It is mounted on my Striper boat. It is the single best thing I have added to the boat. Spot lock is great. Fishing ledges or banks, I set the motor on a heading. When I catch one, I hit the anchor button, then reuse the heading when ready. It is super smooth and super quiet. It works well with my Lowrance units. When I want a clear front deck, I stow the pedal, and just use the remote. I think the Ultrex is a great motor for Bass boats, especially for fishing in tight areas. But, the local trolling motor shop is slap full of UltRex motors for repair. The only issue I have had is the pedal draining batteries while the motor is disconnected. I fixed that by adding a cutoff switch on the battery compartment. I am not happy that Motorguide did not find a fix, but I would buy another one today.

Quote Originally Posted by alabamaphoenix View Post
    Depends on how you fish. I have the 24 volt xi5 with built in transducer. It is mounted on my Striper boat. It is the single best thing I have added to the boat. Spot lock is great. Fishing ledges or banks, I set the motor on a heading. When I catch one, I hit the anchor button, then reuse the heading when ready. It is super smooth and super quiet. It works well with my Lowrance units. When I want a clear front deck, I stow the pedal, and just use the remote. I think the Ultrex is a great motor for Bass boats, especially for fishing in tight areas. But, the local trolling motor shop is slap full of UltRex motors for repair. The only issue I have had is the pedal draining batteries while the motor is disconnected. I fixed that by adding a cutoff switch on the battery compartment. I am not happy that Motorguide did not find a fix, but I would buy another one today.
    I also put a switch on the pedal for battery cut off. Before I was going through a set every other week. Now I’ve had the same set for a couple of months.
    I love my Xi5 but the pedal could be much better. I easily over steer all the time. I pretty much settled on using it like a bump switch to move the steering in small increments. If the Ultrex works like I think it would, it would be better in that regard.
    I have no issues with the anchor feature. Works great especially in the wind with my 16 tin bass boat. I have the 24v 80lb on my little tin rig so commenting on the power is kinda useless since its way more than what is needed for that boat.

18. Member
    A year ago I decided to upgrade all my electronics over the winter. I used Lowrance.

After a few trips in the spring my old MG 24v 71lb TM died. I had recently been on a boat with an Ultrex and was impressed. The sticker price made me do some research and I quickly learned about compatibility with the other electronics on the boat. MG goes best with Lowrance and MK goes with Humminbird. Since I had just invested in the Lowrance system I wanted to get the most out of it so I got the Xi5.

On the water the 24v 80lb model I got far outperforms the TM it replaced. Thrust is better and I never drain the batteries. I primarily fish In current. The old TM would leave me running out of juice after about 6 hours on the water.

The big thing is that you have to come to grips with the fact that it is not cable steer and is different. I did a lot of work settling up the pedal so that it was comfortable for me. I rarely turn it on anymore. I used to have a bicycle seat that I would lean on to work the pedal. I don’t bother with it anymore and it has really opened up the bow area.

I have gotten pretty good at using the remote and have learned to maneuver around with a combination of anchor, heading, jog, and just off. I mainly fish alone and now can move between the bow and stern at will. I think it allows me to pick apart spots more thoroughly. I don’t have power polls and with the Xi5 don’t need them.

You need to consider how and where you fish and if you are willing to learn how to get the most out of it.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

19. Member
    I liked mine, pin point worked great, the foot pedal is different than normal but the remote is easy to drive with. Battery usage was good on mine (80lb 24v) If I had option id choose ultrex for the more traditional steering but both work great IMO
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

Quote Originally Posted by edwonbass View Post
    I also put a switch on the pedal for battery cut off. Before I was going through a set every other week. Now I’ve had the same set for a couple of months.
    Do you turn the pedal off after you are done fishing? A set of batteries has lasted all year in my pedal.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast