Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69
  1. #1
    Moderator Mark Perry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    43,986

    How many JDM tackle fans are on here?

    Its a sickness for me. I actually have some older Japanese fishing magazines from 7-10 years ago and the crazy thing is so much of what we are just now seeing here from tackle manufacturer's was already in those old mags. What we think is cutting edge it seems a few companies over there already did it. The innovation and attention to detail is crazy on some of the stuff. Very skilled craftmanship. Sites like samurai Tackle are bad for my wallet. Half of it is so beautiful you almost want to put it in a collector's display.

  2.  
  3. Member golfpro307's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mesa AZ!!!
    Posts
    1,721
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Its a sickness for me. I actually have some older Japanese fishing magazines from 7-10 years ago and the crazy thing is so much of what we are just now seeing here from tackle manufacturer's was already in those old mags. What we think is cutting edge it seems a few companies over there already did it. The innovation and attention to detail is crazy on some of the stuff. Very skilled craftmanship. Sites like samurai Tackle are bad for my wallet. Half of it is so beautiful you almost want to put it in a collector's display.
    You know I am!!!
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

  4. Member avidbasser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    2,851
    #3
    Ditto! I have to stay away from japan tackle and samurai tackle. My wallet quivers when I click those links. LOL
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!


  5. Motors/Motor Parts Moderator skeeterj01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    chatsworth, Ga 30705
    Posts
    4,246
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Its a sickness for me. I actually have some older Japanese fishing magazines from 7-10 years ago and the crazy thing is so much of what we are just now seeing here from tackle manufacturer's was already in those old mags. What we think is cutting edge it seems a few companies over there already did it. The innovation and attention to detail is crazy on some of the stuff. Very skilled craftmanship. Sites like samurai Tackle are bad for my wallet. Half of it is so beautiful you almost want to put it in a collector's display.


    Yes sir I am the same way, except I don't have nearly as much as you probaly have.

  6. Moderator Mark Perry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    43,986
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterj01 View Post
    Yes sir I am the same way, except I don't have nearly as much as you probaly have.
    I don't buy a whole lot these days other than 2-3 items. My biggest issue now is I have access to Megabass JDM stuff at times through Megabass and that is not always a good thing......


    On a serious note if you can find some old or current issues of Lure or Basser magazine it is well worth the read. Every issue I have seen has some amazing stuff in it and a lot of it is written in English as well. The other crazy thing is how the Japanese love our older legendary American bait models. Its common to see an older bait tricked out with Japanese influence to it. I know MB has done some work with a company or two in that regard.

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rainbow River
    Posts
    6,380
    #6
    Yup, I'm a big fan of JDM and Samurai Tackle.

  8. Member golfpro307's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mesa AZ!!!
    Posts
    1,721
    #7
    I try to buy all Megabass oddities,, I have a Poster of the color chart its double sided which is pretty cool,, Stickers, Hats , Shirts,, Books.
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

  9. Moderator Mark Perry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    43,986
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm77 View Post
    Yup, I'm a big fan of JDM and Samurai Tackle.

    Funny story about Samurai. I started buying a particular bait from them and they seem to be hard to get. The color I wanted showed 2 and all other colors have long been sold out and hard to come by. I snatched them up. A week later I am looking again and this time they have 4. I buy them They keep repeating the process now so its like I have a box every other week from them. I am amazed they keep getting them in as they are extremely hard to come by so I am stockpiling them. They are not expensive at all so its no biggie. Even if they had 20-30 all in all I would not save any on shipping from what I have seen. I bet that guy packaging them up to send to me is like WTH? This guy keeps on buying the same bait over and over.



    Just checked. they have 4 more.....Dammit!!!!!

  10. Moderator Mark Perry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    43,986
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by golfpro307 View Post
    I try to buy all Megabass oddities,, I have a Poster of the color chart its double sided which is pretty cool,, Stickers, Hats , Shirts,, Books.
    The catalogs go for some decent money each year they go out of date.

    One thing I am trying to get them to do is have a MB phone app with the ENTIRE color chart and a reccomendation on how to use each bait so guys have a quick reference handy. Hopefully it comes to be a reality.

  11. Member rb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Statesville
    Posts
    3,010
    #10
    Thanks for the heads up. I WILL NOT be going to those sites.
    Thanking God every time I go to the lake

  12. Moderator Mark Perry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    43,986
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I WILL NOT be going to those sites.
    Yeah, I know better than that. Most guys buy their wife a less expensive rod to fish with than a MB like you do....

  13. Member bradjames12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    6,539
    #12
    I do my best nowadays to stay away from those JDM sites.
    Evergreen Showerblows and Showerblow Shorties were showing up on a regular basis for some time
    http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/

    “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place” George Bernard Shaw

  14. Member basscat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    on a lacrosse field
    Posts
    20,851
    #13
    Sounds like they catch fisherman pretty good......

    Just remember Fritts made a living on 5th grade shop lures, painted by the 1st graders........Poes........

    but I do marvel at the attention to detail of those lures.....

  15. Member socalcranker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Posts
    347
    #14
    Guilty here as well. I am big into Japanese handmade cranks among other things. Luckly I have made several builder friends other there and no longer need to go thru tackle shops.

  16. Moderator Mark Perry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    43,986
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Sounds like they catch fisherman pretty good......

    Just remember Fritts made a living on 5th grade shop lures, painted by the 1st graders........Poes........

    but I do marvel at the attention to detail of those lures.....
    You can get to work on a tricycle too but I bet you ain't riding one.

    Not all of them just catch anglers. A lot of times the premium build and components outlast other baits 2-3 times. Some are gimmicks but a lot ain't. Its about choosing tools. If its in my boat I know it works and I have faith in it and there is a reason I sought it out and believe in it. True of any gear in my boat.

    Writing stuff off sometimes is due to a closed mind. I have baits that cost $20 and I have baits that cost .20 and I use them all.

  17. Member KyLakeLunker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Grand Rivers and Benton, KY
    Posts
    3,059
    #16
    I love looking at the stuff, but that's where I stop. I have never bought anything. If I had more disposable income, then I'd have a few things, but what little disposable income I have goes to other areas, such as the Disney trip we're taking February. With the kids being little, I'm collecting memories/experiences at this time rather than items. But with that said, I love looking at JDM rods since I build. They are way ahead of many American version rods. If you want to see some really cool stuff, you should see what some of the custom builders are doing with bamboo grips, etc. Here is one site. I'd add more but can't find them right now. https://www.facebook.com/groups/fish520/
    American Tackle Company, Inc. - Pro Staff Rod Builder

  18. Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    15,600
    #17
    Ditto, it's the same on the saltwater side too.

  19. Member fastr19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Midland Ga.
    Posts
    6,403
    #18
    I have never heard of this. I guess I'm really out of the loop.


  20. Moderator Mark Perry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    43,986
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by KyLakeLunker View Post
    I love looking at the stuff, but that's where I stop. I have never bought anything. If I had more disposable income, then I'd have a few things, but what little disposable income I have goes to other areas, such as the Disney trip we're taking February. With the kids being little, I'm collecting memories/experiences at this time rather than items. But with that said, I love looking at JDM rods since I build. They are way ahead of many American version rods. If you want to see some really cool stuff, you should see what some of the custom builders are doing with bamboo grips, etc. Here is one site. I'd add more but can't find them right now. https://www.facebook.com/groups/fish520/
    The MB Arms rods are amazing especially being based off gunstocks etc. Crazy detail.

  21. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Scottsboro, Alabama
    Posts
    1,459
    #20
    with the yen as low as it is where are some great bargains over there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast