Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs Up Center seat mod Ranger RT188

20141227_120705_resized.jpgmiddle seat mod for rt 188. I used 3/4 plywood carpeted with boat carpet. stapled to back side and used the same 5 holes and screws from seat. The plywood is 15 x 18 with the edges rounded with a router.
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 01-02-2015 at 12:22 AM.

Looks Great! Very clean job. I moved your post to this new thread and I will copy the link up in the how to sticky. If you can take a few more pics to post that would be great to.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    looks good, I also removed my center seat, and the step down is a little soft, this should make for a firm place to step on without any give. Nice idea.

4. Member
    If it weren't for me planning on taking my kids out riding in the boat from time to time I would definitely do something like this. Great mod.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

5. Member
    Not trying to be a buzz kill here but just a word of caution for others.

Using plywood in marine applications requires it to be sealed completely and modified to prevent cupping and warping. Best way to seal it is with epoxy resin used in fiberglass repair. The better quality the resin, the longer that will last. Seal the top, the bottom, and especially the sides. The thicker the better. One coat is not enough. You need like 2 minimum and 3 recommended. And it takes longer to cure if it’s cold so above 50-60 degrees is needed for application. 70+ cures it faster.

Another issue with plywood is it will cup and curl. Depending on how you mounted it will determine how much. I’ve had some experience with plywood mods and one this is certain. It will rot and it will curl. Just a matter of how soon and how much.

I made a deck extension for my old boat and I sealed it with resin and reinforced the lids with aluminum sheeting to help prevent curling. It’s still holding up as I understand it and that’s been a year now.
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

6. Member
    ^ The thicker the plywood the less you have to worry about curling, I build a 4.5' deck in a 13' vhull and it never curled.. Sold it and it's still rock hard..

Nice work OP
    Shawn.D
    2015 Phoenix 618pro w/ 150 Evinrude Etec HO

7. Member
    Good idea on sealing the plywood. I used 3/4 pressure treated thinking i won't have problem with rot . I used the same 5 holes the middle seat was attached with . One in each corner and one in the center thinking that would keep it flat. I'll keep an eye on it . Thanks for the input.

8. Member
    If you used marine plywood and keep your boat inside I don't see you ever having problems with it.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

9. Banned
    Marine grade plywood must be a complete sheet. No holes or knots are allowed in any of the layers. It is also glued with water proof glue.
    You do not need to seal it. Doing so will make it last forever though.
    Last edited by mrc.in.wi; 01-02-2015 at 01:21 PM.

10. Member
    Is there anywhere (Bass pro, etc.) where we could buy only a small piece of marine grade carpet? If so I'd be interested in this, because with the seat removed, every time I step on that area, its pretty spongy under foot as this lid that lifts up to allow for under seat storage is not reinforced on the under side. I'm thinking a 3/4" plywood piece mounted would add a more sturdy feel to the step.

11. Banned
    I think the smallest you can buy is a yard×6-8'

Quote Originally Posted by tin wacker View Post
    Good idea on sealing the plywood. I used 3/4 pressure treated thinking i won't have problem with rot . I used the same 5 holes the middle seat was attached with . One in each corner and one in the center thinking that would keep it flat. I'll keep an eye on it . Thanks for the input.
    I wouldnt be too worried about it. Using 5 points to fasten it will hold it just fine and its not going to be exposed to water all the time. You did a nice job. I made mine out of 2 pieces of 3/4" ply stacked and glued with water proof tight bond and screwed together making 1.5". I simply used epoxy to fill any seams, sanded and painted it with gray gloss paint. Several years and still looks like new I just added a textured paint on the center for better grip the edges have held up great.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

EXACTLY what I did to my PT185!
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

14. Member
    The "ultimate" material would be StarBoard or a UDMA product. You could use an adhesive to mount the carpet and follow the same dimensions, procedure, etc. It won't ever rot, warp, etc.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Using 5 points to fasten it will hold it just fine and its not going to be exposed to water all the time.
    Totally agree. I looked at mine today and if you used the factory holes and 3/4 plywood, warping should be kept to the ends only like the corners. Since you routed the corners, that in itself adds strength and should help prevent the corners from pealing upwards. I'd say you're good to go as long as it's sealed well. With it being pressure treated, that will slow down the rot but it won't stop the plywood from peeling apart. Water gets in, freezes, pops, etc.

It's a cheap and easy mod so if it goes bad, just make another years from now! I may have over-stressed the sealing thing earlier.
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

16. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Another option instead of carpet would be to get it sprayed with bedliner. I'm sure most places would spray it for a few $ when they shoot a bed,and that would also seal it.

Thats a very good idea to.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I beveled the edges and used a tek stain on my 190. Then put strips of grip tape made for steps on . it lasted 5 years plus kept the center seat like new.

Curious why you needed to mount anything there. Was there not finished carpet under the seat when you took it up? With nothing there looks like you could just reattach the seat quickly when needed. Is it too weak to step on and needs stiffening?

20. Member
    I don't have anything in the space formerly occupied by the middle seat, no problems.
    Of course, I'm only 170-175#, depending on the last good meal.
    I have taken plenty of guys on the boat that are 200# and up, no issues there.
    It wouldn't hurt to have it, easy enough to remove later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast