1996 Skeeter 190C

I have an opportunity to buy a 190C with a bad 200 merc on it (they say the block is bad), for 1400.00 (asking price).

First off, what is the "c" designate? It is on a tandem axle trailer, needs some interior work, and some hull scrapes, but could not find out the differences in a 190 and the 190c. The boat has a MG trolling motor also.
    Here are a few pictures........if the hull is not damaged much, is it worth it?00P0P_4y6XHVUI96S_600x450.jpg00W0W_jEFYfqSWBAT_600x450.jpg00i0i_acChri8sAn2_600x450.jpg00n0n_gWVRjm4BeyI_600x450.jpg Thanks

To go with my original post, I have read conflicting stories that this is the first year that Skeeter made the boat composite and not fiberglass. Any truth to that?
    I have also read that there is an SX, a ZX and a TZX, what do these mean?
    Thanks again.

3. Banned
    C stands for composite. I believe that only alludes to the transom though and not the entire boat. I believe there is wood in the decking and stringers on that boat. Someone will come along who knows more than me and confirm that. SX, Z, etc. is jut trim levels re: equipment etc. If it's in good condition, offer $1k. Worse they can say is "no" or "how about $1,200"

4. Banned
    Call Skeeter with the hull ID # and ask about the C for composite on that particular model. It's really the only way to know for sure. On a boat like that it's all about the transom and stringers. Good shape, then it's worth $1,000 - $1,200, bad shape, it ain't worth $100.

Thanks to everyone for your input, it is more than i knew before!

6. Banned
    you gonna rebuild or new motor?

If the transom is solid BigJfrank, I will probably buy it and let a pro look at the motor. It could be something completely different from what they think. I am a Hot Rodder by heart, and can do motor work, but afraid that it might be costly.

8. Banned
    If boat/hull is solid it sounds like a solid deal.

9. Member
    Here's a link to Doug Vahrenberg's site and the 1996 Skeeter brochure. That should give you some additional information. On the USCG plate next to the passenger side, the exact model number should be stamped in it. I'm no Skeeter expert or historian, but I believe the SX's are the base model and will not come with a backplate or other feathers of the higher end Skeeters. I believe the ZX used to be their top model back then but has since been replaced with some other higher end models.

Skeeter1996

I would ask where the prop is also. That's another $300 or so extra cost. Know going in, that you will have much more than just the motor to consider. You are probably looking at rebuilding the livewell valves and potentially replacing the pumps, rebuilding the trailer brake system, new trailer bunks, etc. Crawl under the boat and take a good look at the hull and spin the prop shaft to see if it is bent or seized up too. Sounds like you are mechanical. If you take it somewhere, you are going to run up a bill quick. Another option would be to buy a short block or dressed powerhead and do the swap yourself. Here's a link to a company that does that kind of work.

Welcome to Texas Outboard Rebuild

I haven't dealt with them, but I have seen people post good things about them, so I bookmarked the site in case I needed their services at some point. I really have no idea other than just a hunch, but I would venture to guess it could take another $4K + or - to put it on the water if you do some of the work and depending on how far you take it. That is, if you do cosmetics, carpet, electronics, etc. you will be on the + side for sure assuming the powerhead is shot.

Here's an example of a 1996 ZX200 where the guy started at $8100 and is now at $7000 with no takers. It looks to be a real clean boat. I'm not saying take this boat. I don't know the guy. But if you end up with $5K or so total in the boat plus your time, it may be better to find a complete running one. If you want a project, that's a whole different story and may make it worth it knowing going in that you, at best, could be at a break even excluding your time.

1996 Skeeter ZX200

Not trying to be a downer. It could be a good project boat, but it will take a fair amount of time and money. Just trying to look at the other side of this.

Good information JoeFriday and BigFrank. Even if the "c" is composite and the transom is the only thing composite, and it is solid, not sure how much damage is on the hull, but if it is solid, might be a good investment. Heck, if the trailer is solid with no rust, it's probably easily worth half the price of the boat. Anyway, not going to get it for salvage, I want to build it to fish out of, the grand kids and I.
    I've done glass work, mechanical work, built my own (and raced) a 69 Camaro drag car. Built a dozen motors up to 650hp, but never an outboard. I am a woodworker also, so maybe it wouldn't be tooooooo daunting of a task.
    I did find out more info on it though, it only has a bill of sale and registration, no title, that is a deturant, and they bought it to resale, in a divorce settlement. Good thing is that they have no sentimental ties to the boat.........heck, maybe a 1k bill might get it, especially in the middle of winter.
    I am going over early this afternoon to look at it. We have a couple of inches of snow on the ground, but will brave the 15 degrees to peek at it.
    Thanks again for the input, Happy New Year boys.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I did find out more info on it though, it only has a bill of sale and registration, no title, that is a deturant, and they bought it to resale, in a divorce settlement. Good thing is that they have no sentimental ties to the boat.........heck, maybe a 1k bill might get it, especially in the middle of winter.
    I don't know what the laws are in Kansas, but in Texas that would be a no go. We can't get a title off of a bill of sale unless you go through the abandonment process which reading through ours, it's a royal pain. You have to file a bond, send registered letters to previous owners, etc. If someone during the process produces a title and says it's theirs during the process, you lose and they get the asset. At least that's what it was for a motorcycle, and I assume boats are the same here. We could go through the mechanics lien process, but I think that can get dicey too. Make sure to carefully read and understand the Kansas laws related to no title assets and make darn sure you can't lose. It would be a big bummer to go through the time and expense of getting it running to have someone appear with a title and claim it.

Just looked this up for Kansas Joe:
    All vessels powered by motor (gasoline, diesel, or electric), or sail, must be registered and numbered. The State of Kansas does not ,however, title watercraft nor does it register or title motors.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Just looked this up for Kansas Joe:
    All vessels powered by motor (gasoline, diesel, or electric), or sail, must be registered and numbered. The State of Kansas does not ,however, title watercraft nor does it register or title motors.

Cool. If you can register and number off of a bill of sale, then you should be in the clear. You might want to take some tools to pull the plugs and see if the motor will turn or is seized. Have you looked to see if you can find any used 200 hp complete running engines? If you can find a match for the current engine, the one on the boat will give you a parts engine. Also check on TFF. There is a thread where a father and son resurrected a Basscat and provided steps and pics along the way.

Just an update:
    I just went and looked at it and it looks soso. The motor thru a rod so block is gone. Hull damage looks like, well, looks like it came in contact with a wall (no kidding) and broke the right side all the way down. The hull under the cap is spiderweb-ed and crazed badly. The cap on the right is also broke/cracked up quite a bit. Where the cap joins the hull, going all the way aft around the back corner has no rub rail and is cracked up. The lids and carpet are all solid, the transom is solid, a few switches missing, 24v MG on front, trailer is tight with no issues, (tandem axle with brakes). I need a trailer for my bass hawk, but don't think I could make one work for the other. I think there are parts on the motor are salvageable, also sell the TM and recoup some money, maybe use the trailer, but unsure about salvaging the boat. It looks like, they had an accident with it, insurance paid it off, and they kept it or paid for it. I pounded on the side, on top of the crazing, and it still felt solid, but worried that it sprung the glass underneath it.
    Just what I found.
    I have to truthfully say, I like the hull (skeeter) shape better than I do my bass hawk boat, but size and all, it is pretty much the same, the bass hawk is a little more square at the nose, where the skeeter is more pointed/round off the bow. There are pros and cons riding on this. My bass hawk restoration will be a biggie, I need lids hull patching (not too extensize) and a transom. I need trailer work like a new nose and fenders. The skeeter has an awesome trailer, good body, lids and such, better dash area and seating, but the motor is gone. Not sure how much to put on a block to a 200 2.5.
    Combining the two, would be much work also because the trailer just won't slide out from the skeeter under the bass hawk.
    Maaaaannnnn, decisions decisions.

Thanks

Does the skeeter have any wood in the floor? This boat that I am looking at, well, lots of leaves and snow on the floor, it all feels solid, so not sure if it is glass or wood.
    Thanks

16. Member

wood in a skeeter ZX 190(c)

Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    C stands for composite. I believe that only alludes to the transom though and not the entire boat. I believe there is wood in the decking and stringers on that boat. Someone will come along who knows more than me and confirm that. SX, Z, etc. is jut trim levels re: equipment etc. If it's in good condition, offer $1k. Worse they can say is "no" or "how about $1,200"
    If I had come across this deal I would have bought. Reason being I just paid 5000.00 for a ZX190c this is what I know for sure there is no wood in the deck transome or anywhere that I can find I'm doing a 100% restoration meaning it's been taken apart by me. it came with mercury 200 efi in perfect condition compression check is 120 across the board the worse problem with this boat was bad gelcote on the gunrail which from what I've learned was a p[roblem on the 96 boats .after about 100 hrs of careful wet sandin taking off the old finish reapplying 4 coats of
    gel coat premixed in spray can from Dophinite products I'll put my 1996 ZX190c up against any I have fished from in appearance and performance.