Yamaha Digital Guauge Problem

I have a 522VX with the Yamaha Digital Gauges. I am having a problem with the gauge with the oil level/trim/tach.

The Oil level shows fuel always. I replaced the sending unit in the tank in the bilge which did not fix the problem. I can however pull the sending unit out and the gauge will show empty and of course alarm will go off. At least that part is working.

Has anyone had this same issue?

Since the alarm goes off and there is a reserve reservoir on the motor plus I now am very diligent with keeping the tank full and 2 gallons spare in the boat I am not to the point to spend almost 400 bucks on a new gauge. And if the main tank is empty the boat will only idle when down to the reserve reservoir.

Plus I am not totally convinced the gauge is bad since it will show empty when the sending unit is out.

Wondering if there maybe some disconnected wiring between gauge and sending unit I do not know about.

Just for reference the oil level is 3 horizontal bars on the bottom of the gauge.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Banned
    Unfortunately I do not think anyone repairs these since Yamaha does not sell any of the parts. You might try doing a factory reset and reprogramming it. If not then you're faced with buying a new or used replacement gauge.

There is a set of dip switches on back of the gauge, check those!, I ran the same gauge ( think) on my boat b4 I re-powered with a SHO, seems I remember, that they only came off the full reading, when u almost empty. Do a search on the Yamaha forum, it was discussed at lenth, a couple, three years ago. Also,,,,I do have one I will sell, if u had to replace.
    good luck
    gene
    22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

4. Member
    I may be wrong, but I thought the gauge only referenced the small tank on the engine. I also think the oil alarm is only for the small tank on the engine. Unplugging the remote tank may interrupt the signal to the gauge.

Thanks Flybyy1. I will look for the thread and may get in contact with you if I need to go a purchase route. Wedawee you are half correct. If you go above idle with the subtank empty it will alarm and immediately drop to idle plus 500 rpm or so. And you are correct it will stay alarmed if the reservoir goes empty and I believe the motor cuts off completely at that point. Haven't been there yet and hopefully never will.