Banned

Info for Vets & their spouses when planning for the eventual death

Well the discussion came up and of course I worry for my wife when I'm gone. So among the discussion of where I'd be buried etc and paying off most of the bills in 2015 we talked about a casket etc. We talked about if we had enough funds for whatever kind of funeral she wanted to see me have. I know I can be buried in a military plot but wife wants to be next to me, so that's out. Fortunately I did get the free $10,000 life insurance that was offered to 100% disabled veterans and I got the additional 10 grand also free. I've done some research and thought I'd post it her for you guys who need to plan for what they know is coming soon.

Insurance for Service-Disabled Veterans & Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI), you'll find at this link. Insurance for Service-Disabled Veterans - Life Insurance

You'll need to apply for the VMLI before your 70th birthday. For me, the premiums would run about $250 a month for $90,000 payoff of the mortgage. Now for some, that might seem high premium to pay but to me, that's cheap and not having to worry about my wife ending up paying the mortgage on fixed income.

The other benefit for your spouse is the Dependency and Indemnity Compensation found here Dependency and Indemnity Compensation - Compensation. Its tax exempt and the wife can get it in addition to her (or yours) SS benefits. Forgot where I saw it, but its about $1400 a month.

You can get a Free headstone, markers or medallion for a private cemetery (in my case) but its your cost to have it installed otherwise at a national cementery its free installation, for more information about that look here Headstones, Markers and Medallions - National Cemetery Administration

Another is burial allowance. Now if your death is service connected (like Agent Orange related) the compensation is $2000. If non-service connected then its $300 for burial and $745 for the plot. For more information about that look here http://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/...als/Burial.pdf

This form VA Form 27-2008, Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes would have to be completed generally by the funeral director (if private) which is submitted to the local post office. This flag would be draped over the coffin and then presented to the next of kin as its not suitable for outdoor use.

and then of course the Presidential Memorial Certificate Presidential Memorial Certificates - National Cemetery Administration

Then I discovered that National Cemeteries CAN have both veteran and the spouse interned, but you need to check if it'll allow casketed remains (I don't want to be burned) as some ONLY allow urn's. Read here for more info Burial Benefits - National Cemetery Administration Some of the Veterans cemeteries are State owned/operated but are funded by the VA grants but its worth a look. A map and cemetery locator of the 131 listed (more are being added) is here Department of Veterans Affairs Cemetery Listing - National Cemetery Administration

Well, that's it from me. If you have anything to add that would help that I didn't cover or add, have at it.

3. Member
    Dang ! Thanks Wildcat Dude I had forgot some of these bennes .

Nice read Charles, thanks.

5. Banned
    Oh and the maximum Mortgage loan coverage amount can not exceed $200,000. I figure if you got that then it would be double what I had inquired about. I initially plugged in $100,000 and that was around $254 or something like that and 90,000 was like $248 so not a lot of difference on 10 grand, but you'll need to figure out how long you think you'll live based on your current health. I didn't see a minimum length of payment periods before policy went into effect to cover the mortgage you applied for. But keep in mind, the longer you live, the longer the payments, course we're all hoping to live to a ripe old age. I know from all the tests I've had done and from 2 years ago, I've got between 2-3 years maybe 4 max so I know I got to get on the stick to protect my wife's interests and well being. Having MS and two bouts of cancer and in a wheelchair for the last 5 years, makes you think - PROTECT. So been doing a LOT of research although I did some regarding burial when VA mistakenly read the wrong chart and indicated I had cancer and had only months to live (that was last year).

So hopefully this helps those of you trying to make sure your family doesn't suffer any more than they have to afterwards. If you have children, in some cases there's some benefits for them as well, you'll just have to explore the links I posted above. (mostly regarding DIC)

6. Airborne-Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Pretty good stuff, plus the list of agent orange disease's is pretty long now. Be sure your spouses are aware of these benefits, they will most likely apply to most of us disabled guys.

Added Oct 2,15, I found out that our spouse can also be buried at a VA Cemetery even if she passes first. Will be buried next to you or you next to her,
    Last edited by bassnman81; 10-02-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Lake Norman, N.C.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2016 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veteran, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

How about making this a "sticky". As more information becomes available it could be added. I for one very much appreciate your posting this.

V/R

I got my pension/disabled Vet check today and got a $51.00 raise.
    My Ranger 2014 Z119c

9. Banned
    Glad you reminded me, forgot all about it.

10. Member
    Good information. Thanks for posting.

11. Banned
    Now a sticky topic - so it won't get lost - Thanks Gunny

12. Member
    Don't forget.... These are FEDERAL... States also have bennies... I am 100% SC vet.. My biggest concern is what will happen to my wife if i kick the bucket. Just glad that i have past the # of years required so she will continue to receive some help.

13. Banned
    If you have any documented links to state benefits for widows of veterans, this would be the topic to post them in. I haven't researched TN for those benefits as generally any benefits the veteran gets, is gone when the veteran dies EXCEPT for taxes on a home/real estate the veteran had his name on that property.

Here's some I've found
    State Veteran Benefits South East

Alabama
    Florida
    Georgia
    Mississippi
    Tennesse

State Veteran Benefits South East | Military.com

14. Banned
    Not saying who but someone asked me via PM - wondering about 50% on PTSD. Keep in mind your wife will NOT get your service connected disability but they would get the DIC compensation IF (and I'm citing just one of several IF's)

Married the Veteran within 15 years of discharge from the period of military service in which the disease or injury that caused the Veteran's death began or was aggravated, OR
    The Veteran died from a non service-related injury or disease, but was receiving, OR was entitled to receive, VA Compensation for service-connected disability that was rated as totally disabling
    Last edited by Wildcat Dude; 02-13-2015 at 04:00 PM.

15. Banned

USA Dependency and Indemnity Compensation - Effective 12/1/14

Please review the current DIC compensation Rates

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation - Effective 12/1/14 - Compensation VA Form 21-534 will need to be completed http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-534-ARE.pdf

IF the service member died WHILE in service - VA Form 21-534A will need to be completed. http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-534a-ARE.pdf

16. Banned
    Now I could be totally wrong about not receiving DIC for 50% PTSD but I'd say tell her to try when the time comes.