Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question RH vs LH Casting Reels

Gents,

It is really odd that I am right handed but fish with left handed casting reels? In the for sale section is seems like almost everyone exclusively uses RH reels since that is the majority of what is purchased an sold.

Cam

2. Member
    I'm the same as you. I fished right hand from my start on casting equipment but moved to lefty for jigs and plastics since I couldn't get the hang of using my left hand to pitch or cast. I've moved from doing a lot of crankin to mostly plastics and jigs so the shift to left hand reels was pretty easy for me. I did have a hard time with crankin with a lefty that was a slower ratio (5-1) so I simply went to all 6.3 :1 and up for moving baits. Now its all natural and lovemy lefties
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me...Phil 4:13

I've been doing this for the last 40 years. the only downside is a somewhat limited selection of reels. Most high end reels do come in a lefty version. Lefties do show up on the for sale forum, but tend to sell quickly if they are well taken care of and priced right.

4. Member
    It's good to be left handed and reel with the right hand. The one advantage we lefty's have in this world.!
    John the Garage Doorman

5. Member
    I switched over a few years ago and I haven't lost as many fish due not switching hands. Yes the down side is availability of leftys but the Daiwa, Shimano and Abu Garcia have a very good variety. Lews came a very long way the last year or so on offering lefts as well. For me it was,a very good switch

Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    It's good to be left handed and reel with the right hand. The one advantage we lefty's have in this world.!
    My Dad would totally agree with you!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I broke myself of casting, switching hands and then reeling a long time ago...Good thing is I can go fishing with my Dad, who is a true lefty, and don't have to worry as much about bringing my own rods and reels since I can still manage to fish backwards!

I'm a lefty and use RH reels, I have to use a RH spinning reel as well. For some reason I just cant reel left handed
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

8. private pond ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    I'm a lefty and use RH reels, I have to use a RH spinning reel as well. For some reason I just cant reel left handed
    same here
    __________________________________________________ ______________

9. Member
    I don't think it's odd, in fact imo a righty reeling with the left is natural. Switching hands just doesn't feel right or efficient to me.

I'm a righty and used to use all RH casting reels, made the switch to LH reels several years back. I still have and use some RH casting reels, but much prefer LH reels. I do know what you mean about selling LH reels however, they're generally much more difficult to sell than a comparable RH. It seems that more and more RH guys are making the switch to LH, or at least buying one reel to try it. It took me a couple months of fishing exclusively LH before it felt natural, except walk the dog - that took longer

11. Scraps
    I tried this last year and gave up, using some LH reels. I long ago taught myself to pitch lefty so that wasn't an issue. Now I can hardly pitch with my right hand. I'm not sure what was less comfortable, feeling uncoordinated reeling the LH reel, or just holding the rod with my right hand. Cranking was definitely weird. I was looking for a way of spreading the fatigue, but over the years I've become as accurate casting both righty and lefty, so the reel is almost immaterial. I may try this again over the winter in the yard.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I'm right handed 100%, have to cast with right hand, hold rod in left and crank with right hand.. But I can also right hand cast and hold rod with right hand and crank away with left hand.. But only tried casting left handed a few times in my 62 yrs lolo..

13. Member
    I'm right handed and I use left handed reels. I see a lot of guys fishing right handed reels and they constantly have to switch hands to make a pitch or cast, I don't know but I can't do that.
    Last edited by kercha83; 04-15-2018 at 12:40 AM.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    Same here also

15. Member
    Im right handed and fish spinning and baitcast left hand. It feels natural to me and dont have to switch the rod around how I see some right hand people do. It probably has to do with how you learned to fish when you were little. I have a lefty Metanium on here for sale and havent had hits yet, if it was a righty it might have sold already.

I am right-handed, always cast or pitch RH, and use either RH or LH crank. It takes 3-4 casts with some concentration, then I'm on automatic. I especially prefer LH for spinnerbaits and pitching, but there are things I much prefer a RH crank, like C'rigging. Just bought a RH Lew's Super Duty Wide Spool 8:1 for C'rigging, in fact. There are some things where I don't care whether LH or RH (crank), but generally I like a RH (swap rod to LH) so I have better leverage for hookset plus hold the line between thumb and index finger while dragging the bait with the rod. If I wanted to hop a jig or worm, I'd go with a LH, because my left arm doesn't work as well as it once did, thanks to being rear-ended in my car by an azzhole texting or something. Both arms were numb at the scene...no bueno.

17. Member
    I am left handed, and I fish all right hand casting reels because I don't have to switch hands .. my buddy is the exact opposite he is a righty and fishes lefties.. I tried s lefty once and screw that I will never buy another
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

make a simple 12v motor powered reel. push button to cast and push another to reel in

19. Member
    I'm the same as the OP. Right-handed but use lefty casting equipment. I tried RH gear when I first started fishing but hated switching hands when pitching especially. I still keep some RH reels around for situations where I'm burning spinnerbaits all day or similar and want to distribute the workload.

20. Banned
    I have to use my right hand for a bait caster and left hand for spinning. Weird

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast