Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Praying ????'s about carpet

Ok so I'm preparing to install new carpet 24 oz with Pro Tech padding on both decks, I purchased carpet from bass boat seats.com .i'll be using birdsong adhesive.the question I have is to carpet orientation. New carpet is 8 foot wide 27 foot long there are "glue lines running long ways on back of carpeting. In my Triton none of the front compartments are square port to starboard but they are fore to aft. When cutting the new can I orient the fore and aft edges with the glue lines on back of carpet. So carpet will be square or is this A bad idea. I've read a lot about making sure all carpet runs in the same direction. Any thoughts???

2. Member
    When I did mine, I keep the new carpet oriented the same way and set up all the lids as they would sit on the boat. If you rotate any of the lids relative to the centerline of the carpet then the grain will be off. It was a game of Tetris to minimize the scrap but the orientation of all your pieces must be identical. I think I used the old pieces as rough patterns. That definitely helps in laying out a plan before you cut. I used a sharpie to mark the orientation of the new carpet and the old pieces. Just keep all the arrows going in the same direction and you'll be ok.

3. Member
    Thanks but I don't think I explained it right my new carpet is 8 footx27foot I'm wondering if I can use carpet from left to right in 8 foot long sections, the width of my roll of carpet if I could do this I could use the glue lines for reference to keep square

4. Member
    What the hell are glue lines? Oh, I've carpeted about 100 bass boats in the past 3.5 years and 1000's of sea rays before that, Glue line? 24 is going to be snug, really snug on some boat brands.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

5. Member
    On the back of carpet approx. every 1/8 inch there's aline of plastic/glue/carpet fibers that are melted in a straight line. Holy mackerel simple question seems it would be easier to keep square. This is my time my money want to do it right took a long time to convince my better half this is what I needed to do. I'm trying to find the most practical way. Does it matter if it's not quite square

well im trying to figure out what your talking about but i would picture the carpet lengthwise just like your boat is laid out. Make sure you install the carpet on every piece including deck and compartments the exact same direction from front to back. If you dont it will look like you used a different color on each piece. Dont try to save carpet by fitting your compartment lids in sideways between the cut pieces of deck carpet it will look wrong its not worth saving a few feet of carpet
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

7. Member
    I think the lines he refering to are the lines that the knap is attached to the backing and wants to know if he can use those as a line of reference.I wouldn't think it matters as long as each piece is oriented the same way.As stated above,arrows on the back are a good way to keep it all going the same way.

8. Member
    One thing I did was mark back with arrows that y you can keep carpet oriented. But them about 2 feet apart from across both w x L it makes doing lids with grain in right direction

9. Member
    One thing I did was mark back with arrows. That way youu can keep carpet oriented. But them about 2 feet apart across both w x L it makes doing lids with grain in right direction a lot easier

10. Member
    Thanks folks my only concern is none of my front compartment lids are square. All the utube videos show people having square lids

11. Member
    I believe I used an 8' wide piece for my 361v. I ran the carpet lengthwise. You'll figure out the odd shapes. Can you take the old carpet off and use the piecs as patterns? I did that and cut out the new pieces an inch or so bigger on all sides.

12. Member
    That's what I plan to do

13. Member
    Tabidon,I think you are getting some great advice, I am an upholsterr by trade.All of the carpet needs to run the same direction to look professional. Take your time and you will be happy you did.

14. Member
    Thanks everyone, what about the padding is as simple as everyone says

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tabidon View Post

Padding is simple, no need to worry about orientation on that. Keep it 1.5-2" off the side, so the carpet an be glued to the deck.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tabidon View Post
    If you have a lid that open towards the deck then you'll need to bevel the padding on one or both parts. Just think it through and you'll see what you need to do. I have one lid that I probaly should have beveled more. It opens up but it won't stay open on its own.

Don't let the lid shapes frustrate you, lay your carpet out the full 8x27 frt . To back, cut your lower deck from the middle, then use your front leftover for the front deck, and rear for rear deck,and this will keep your carpet oriented,and yes, if those glue lines are all running the same way , by all means use them as a guide, but if you have an offset lid, just use what you need, to keep the lines oriented,8' wide is enuff to do the USS lexington, you will have plenty leftover,cut plenty strips of plywood ,to go underside of your lids for good, even clamping pressure.

You will have issues w/24 oz. carpet around your hatches closing, on older boats in the 80's /90's they used 16oz. A good tool to use is a cheap walmart beard trimmer to "shave" the synthetic fibers and still look like a custom fit, instead of a razor knife.

19. Member
    Again thank you everyone when shaving lids do u use a guard or not

Yes, use a guard to keep it even.
    1991 Blazer VLX-150 / 2003 Mercury 150 XR6
    2015 Ranger 521C/ 2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast