Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Another helpful thing I did when the carpet was off my lids, I took some painters tape along the inside of the lids and marked the screw holes. This made things a lot easier when I had to attach the piano hinges.
    1991 Blazer VLX-150 / 2003 Mercury 150 XR6
    2015 Ranger 521C/ 2019 Mercury Racing 300R

2. Member
    All lids are off carpet removed (I think I'll be able to use them do templates). I got all but 2 lids done ,I used a grinder with a combination of flap discs(80 grit) and paint/varnish remover discs(these I found at lowes for 5 bucks each seem to do a really good job. I was able without too much effort to get down to clean metal. I'm not sure if this is what it's would recommend but took very little time . Although it's been 30 and below all day. I sprayed goof off on the underside corners these seem to be the difficult parts can't get the grinder to them . The scraper helped on the high spots but grinder and flap/paint remover disc can't reach corners. Hopefully scraper will help. Incidentally I had to remove foam from underside of cooler lid what do I replace it with???
    Last edited by tabidon; 01-01-2015 at 06:21 PM.

3. Member
    If the lids are a lil too snug but they will open and close, get you an old 1" ratchet strap black and cut in 4-6 inch pieces. Make you some pulls and install one or two on each lids with self taping screws. Once carpet wears in some you can take them off. Do this so you don't break any locks or latches pulling to hard on them and sometimes keep you from having to shave the edges by letting them wear in

4. Member
    do u double the material to make a loop ???

5. Member
    Yes fold it even I guess is what your asking

6. Member
    I wasn't sure if u were sayin to make a loop or a tab. I have a car top net that was run over by the lawn mower has 3/4 nylon webbing black think I can use this.

7. Member
    tabidon. don't worry ahead on the lids with the 24oz carpet. i recently rehabbed a '93 basscat and used the 24 oz. i have no trouble with any of the lids. before i shaved anything i'd do what doug suggested and make some pull straps to use for a while. the carpet will compress over time and you may find you don't have to shave them at all.
    regarding the curved lids. i had the same thing on the cat. just square up the straight sides and glue the curved sides last shaping them around the curve as you go. the carpet will work around just fine.
    padding is really easy. cut the lid pieces to size and taper the edges. for the deck leave that 1 1/2" around the edge to glue the carpet directly to the deck. this was pointed out in another post and is good advice. measure a lot and take your time fitting the carpet in the tight areas before you put down any adhesive. i'm sure you'll do great!
    carpet completed.jpginterior forward (2).jpgIMG_0359 (3).jpgDSCN0316 (2).jpg

Does anyone know of anyone or company in the Metropolitan Detroit area that does carpet replacement on Bass Boats?

9. Member
    Question for you Basscat Dad: I'm in the process of re-carpeting my 1989 Stratos 201 and curious if some folks simply pad the front deck only or do the entire deck? I do not tournament fish, so really questioning the need for it. I've never had a boat with it and I've re-carpeted several boats over the years, so I don't mind taking it on just curious if it would make that much difference to me and my boat. By the way, your carpet job looks amazing. Excellent work and the boat looks great. Just like to hear from you and your thoughts on the padding of my front deck only. My concern is if I only do the front deck and not the rod locker and other lids, it will be too noticeable. Thanks again for your feedback.

10. Member
    I put 1/2” on the front deck and 1/8”on the rest of the boat. I was amazed how that 1/8”was enough to take the sting out of kneeling on the back deck. I would do it the same if I had to do it over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12