Thread: Battery needs?

Battery needs?

I have a nitro 750 and I have noticed that my battery power gets drained pretty quick with the use of the console graph and i'll hear a low battery beep after a few hours. I am adding new electronics and LED lights from bluewater. Currently I have 2 deep cycle for trolling and a cranking. My thoughts are this. I should leave the cranking battery just for the motor and install a 4th battery for the an HDS 8, Elite 5, LEDS in compartments and deck, bilge and livewell pump. Just curious how others tie all this in and what is the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallie24 View Post
    I have a nitro 750 and I have noticed that my battery power gets drained pretty quick with the use of the console graph and i'll hear a low battery beep after a few hours. I am adding new electronics and LED lights from bluewater. Currently I have 2 deep cycle for trolling and a cranking. My thoughts are this. I should leave the cranking battery just for the motor and install a 4th battery for the an HDS 8, Elite 5, LEDS in compartments and deck, bilge and livewell pump. Just curious how others tie all this in and what is the best option.
    I run 4 batteries. I left the original 3 (1000 cc amp cranking, 2 TMs) and all accessories including graphs , hydro wave, and LEDs hooked to the 3 bank onboard charger and added a new 1000 cc amp battery, strap, and tray. I then hooked only the motor and Talons to the new battery. So far, the motor keeps it charged, if I feel it needs a bump after a long day I hook a small Tender to it overnight when I plug in the onboard charger. So far, so good
    Pittsburgh PA Area
    2010 Nitro Z7
    150 Optimax, 6" CMC Manual Jackplate, Tempest Plus 23p, (2) Talons
    USAF Veteran, Penn State Alumni

3. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Only tie in between the two batteries is usually a short ground strap of 4 AWG or so between the negative post of the House Electronics battery and the negative post of the cranking battery. This ensures motor and console use/share the same reference ground.

I also like to route the 2 short positive leads from the batteries through a special 'dual switch' that can turn ON/OFF disconnecting the batteries or allow ADDing them in parallel in an emergency. If you need a link, I can look it up.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 12-21-2014 at 04:58 PM.

4. Member
    Thanks for the advice. The link would be great. Luckily KVD's brother has a store about 10 mins away so I may just see if they will give me advice. Just bought the boat this past year and I found they had the basic stuff from 2002 and just ran the the leads from the console graph directly to the cranking battery and not through the panel. I'm sure it worked but the bigger graphs seem to drain it. Also, Treeman12 thanks for your service. I too was in the Air Force.

Thanks for the advice. The link would be great. Luckily KVD's brother has a store about 10 mins away so I may just see if they will give me advice. Just bought the boat this past year and I found they had the basic stuff from 2002 and just ran the the leads from the console graph directly to the cranking battery and not through the panel. I'm sure it worked but the bigger graphs seem to drain it. Also, Treeman12 thanks for your service. I too was in the Air Force.
    Thank you for your service also! And I forgot to mention the negative tie.
    Pittsburgh PA Area
    2010 Nitro Z7
    150 Optimax, 6" CMC Manual Jackplate, Tempest Plus 23p, (2) Talons
    USAF Veteran, Penn State Alumni

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas

Here is the dual circuit plus" switch that I selected in my boat for a dual battery setup:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5511e/featured

Article:
    https://www.bluesea.com/support/arti...Battery_Switch
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 12-21-2014 at 08:05 PM.

7. Member
    I got the idea now. Pictures helped out a lot. Thanks again
    Nitro NX 750
    USAF Veteran
    Western Michigan Alum