Question no carpet on bunks ????

the guy that we just bought the boat from gave the reason for not putting carpet back on was it held water and rotted the boards and painting wood protect them. I know you don't need to completely warp all way around the boards so water will drain. But without carpet want it damage the toons????? not pulling it about a 1/2 mile the ramp and back most of the time. Might pull it home to do some work it sometimes and that would 120miles. Just don't want to ware hold in the toons.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

Plastic covers on wood bunks with grooves to allow the water to drain, is the standard on new trailers now. If I understand you, yours has just painted wood? To me that is as bad or maybe worse than carpet. It will still hold moisture and now there is no padding.

That's what we were thanking. I'll have more time this summer to do something with them, we can leave the boat in and pull trailer out and fix them at our house on the river.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

4. Member
    I replaced mine this year and didn't recover them. My carpet was being torn when I loaded it and the bunks were rotten at five years old. I'm going to keep it this way unless I see a problem.
    2014 Z8
    Pro XS 25
    Fortrex 112
    Humminbird 999SI/859DI

5. Member
    Anyone tried using some of that trek or other synthetic deck material?

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmanb View Post
    Anyone tried using some of that trek or other synthetic deck material?
    Its not strong enough and will not support it, unless you have support about every foot or less.