2003 Triton TR22 Yamaha 250 VMAX random starting problems after running

This has happened 3 times. Launch and run to a spot, fish for a while, andthen the boat won't start. Engine turns over and over but wouldn't start. Acts like the kill switch is engaged. Firsttime this happened someone near me suggested I check the kill switch. It washooked up but I jiggled it anyway just to see and sure enough, it started andworked the rest of the day. The next time it happened, the jiggle didn't work.I ended up disconnecting one of the wires on the kill switch and the motorstarted and worked the remainder of the weekend. It happened again this pastweekend and the kill switch was still disconnected. Ended up getting towed inand it never would start. While I was being towed I tried hooking up the wires to the Kill switch and trying it and then disconnecting them again and still nothing. It would turn over and over but just not fire. When I finally had it loaded on the trailer I tried starting it again just for giggles and it fired up. Didn't actually change a thing. Anybody got any ideas? Badignition? I'm clueless. Any and all suggestions welcomed.Rear view of ignition and kill switch.jpg

Most likely the key switch! When it does not start do the gauges activate?
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    Well I went out today in hopes of getting additional data but of course it didn't fail. Started every time. I guess I didn't get far enough from the ramp. I don't know if the gauges were working or not. I didnt really pay attention at the time. More to come next time. Thank you for the reply.

4. Member
    The kill switch usually works by grounding the circuit when activated. I would post this on the Yamaha board as I tend to think it's more motor wiring related.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    I finally changed out the ignition and that was definitely the problem. When the key is removed, it looks like it actually melted where the key goes. Including a picture. Weird. Hopefully it is fixed now!! Wish I knew how it melted!!!
    IMG_4549_35.jpg

6. Member
    Now that's good troubleshooting, but also it kinda jumps out at you once you see it. It kinda worries me, a lot of current was going through that switch by the looks of it. Did someone add on a jackplate, power poles or other high current device?

7. Banned
    You better find the source of that problem, its gonna re-occur again because that just doesn't happen that way.