ranger 620VS - adding front deck tip compartment

Anybody with an older 620VS or 621VS thought about adding the new tip compartment which the new 2015 FS has installed on the front deck? If so has anybody actually done it. Would be interested to know costs and ease of installation......

I've been thinking about doing this for awhile, since before I saw them on the FS series. Not being able to lay a rod down on the front deck has always been my biggest beef with my '04 620. I was never able to find an insert that was the right size so I'd put it on the back burner. I may have to call Ranger parts to see if they sell them but I'd also be interested to see if anyone else has found out yet.

3. Member
    Yes, they do sell them and can be installed. I had one installed on my 2013 619VS. Had to install it on the port side due to too much clutter on the starboard side. Had to make a homemade trim edge for it, but it works great and I can now lay an 8' rod on the deck with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
    Yes, they do sell them and can be installed. I had one installed on my 2013 619VS. Had to install it on the port side due to too much clutter on the starboard side. Had to make a homemade trim edge for it, but it works great and I can now lay an 8' rod on the deck with no problem.
    Can you post a picture and what size rods can you get in it?

5. Member
    Yes would be interested in seeing your install.. I just picked up a 04 621..

6. Member
    Yep gonna need something.. Just went out and checked and a 7' rod won't lay on front deck.. hmmmm

7. Member
    Alright so here is an update.. I finally called Ranger direct today and was told they would not retro fit to the older boats.. I told them I am sure I can come up with a way to make them fit.. So I ordered 2 of them at $81 each I believe is what he told me.. The whole issue with them is the overall length of them.. I had the guy take a couple pictures of them and text them to me.. Appears that they are all most 24" long and when I measured under the console of my 2004 621 it seems that they will be a little long..

So I wil likely have to cut the end off of them to keep them from coming to far back under the console.. Guess we will see when they show up next week..

8. Member
    Sorry guys.....I haven't been on this forum in a while. The compartment does not interfere with anything when installed on the Port side. I can now lay an 8' rod down flat on the front deck. It could not be installed under the driver side console because there was too much other stuff already mounted up under and on that front wall. It may be different on a 620. If I get a chance this weekend I'll take a few pics and post them.

9. Member
    I did get one of mine installed couple weeks ago on my 621.. Installed the one on the Starboard side and it tucked in perfectly behind the fuel gauge etc. without having to cut it down.. Haven't done the Port side yet but that one I may have to cut down to make it work right from sticking out from under the dash..

I do need to figure out a trim piece or something to put around it and dress it up.. However this past weekend spent 4 days on Erie bass fishing and worked out great..

Pictures?

11. Member

12. Member
    Here are some pics of the Starboard side install.. I gotta contact Ranger tomorrow and check on part numbers for the tip holders.. They sent 2 of the same ones and believe the way they are designed with angles etc the Port side is different.. So before I cut another hole and that need to make sure.. Cause the Starboard side one is not gonna work on the Port side console..

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
    Sorry guys.....I haven't been on this forum in a while. The compartment does not interfere with anything when installed on the Port side. I can now lay an 8' rod down flat on the front deck. It could not be installed under the driver side console because there was too much other stuff already mounted up under and on that front wall. It may be different on a 620. If I get a chance this weekend I'll take a few pics and post them.

Do you have the part number for when I call Ranger?

14. Member
    Are these available?
    Rad Brewer

15. Member
    I just got off phone with Ranger and have two on order. $155.07 each. They tell me port and starboard side are same part, just flip it 180 degrees.
    Rad Brewer

16. Member
    Last edited by I fish 4 Bass; 01-04-2024 at 04:09 PM.
    Rad Brewer