Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 1999 Champion 203 on 2001 Champion 196 Trailer

Hi, my name is Juan Solares and I'm new in the forum, I just got my first Champion Boat (203) after 6 years on a 18 ft. nitro, and I think its going to be very good new experience, but the trailer on the my "new" 1999 champion its in not very good condition, hubs really bad, very bad tires, no brakes, even the actuator and brake system is missing, anyway, somebody is selling me a 2001 Champion 196 trailer in very good condition with new tires, new wheels, good surge brake system, good lights, swing away thonge in what I think its a good price, BUT the question here is:

Can my 1999 203 fit good on a 2001 196 trailer????

Anyone has try it this? Please any response will be welcome.

Regards

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome!

The 196 is a wider boat than the 203. Not sure it would be a good fit unless the bunks can be adjusted. You don't want your boat sitting on pressure points which could compromise the condition of your hull. Hopefully someone will be along to say OK or not OK.

3. Member
    Thanks for your reply, with some luck someone else probably has some comments on this to take my decision.

4. Member
    Are you able to take them both to the lake nearby and launch the boat so you can see side by side comparisons ? You can probably do the same without launching but you will have to crawl around under it. Get them both together and get out your tape measure. I don't think there is much if any adjustment on my trailer for my 210.

If you had to cut off the bunks and reweld them in the correct place and then repaint would it still be a good deal for you ? My guess is the basic framework of the two trailers will be close to the same but the bunk positioning may be slightly different.

Welcome to the Champ forum ! Stick around , we help each other out whenever we can.
    GETFISHED !!!

5. Member
    The thing is Im in Laredo and the trailer that is for sell is on Dallas, is a 8 hour drive, to be honest I was thinking on not to pull the champ all the way to dallas (save some gas), the price is 800 USD and the trailer is thisphoto 1.jpgphoto 11.jpg do you think is a good deal?

My trailer is not near that conditions and has leafs not shocks. this one is everything in good working condition with new tires and new wheels

6. Member
    I would check it for you with my 202 if you can get the guy to meet me at some lake here in dallas.

7. Member
    Couldn't you ask for measurements? Width, length, etc. of bunk boards and between inside of wheel well etc.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by concept10 View Post
    I would check it for you with my 202 if you can get the guy to meet me at some lake here in dallas.
    I can call the seller to check if he cal do this, I honestly will really appreciate the help, I forgot the little thing that if I pull the champ and the trailer is good how can I came back with both at the same time :S

9. Banned

10. Member
    juanio1980 , If that trailer will work I think it is a pretty fair price, especially if it's in as good condition as posted here. New tires will run you half that much.
    GETFISHED !!!

11. Member
    Yep, that's a good price. The bunks look wider spaced out than my bunks for the 202.

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by concept10 View Post
    Yep, that's a good price. The bunks look wider spaced out than my bunks for the 202.
    That's what I was trying to point out. The bunks will not fit in the proper places on the hull of the 203, since the 196 is a good 5" wider, as well as being a beam forward design.

My buddy put a 203 on a 210 trailer and I don't think he had any adjustments.

14. Member
    the champion 202 and the 203 are the same size in bottom hull wide size??

15. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    There are two 202s. One, built in Mtn Home, AR, had a beam of 90" (as does the 203). The other 202, built in Murfreesboro, TN in 2008-9 time-frame, has a beam of 95".

The problem is that these measurements are across the top cap. I do not know how different the hulls, where they rest on the bunks, are. As concept10 said, the bunks on the 196 trailer appear to him to be wider spaced.

hydra...not sure how the 203 was able fit ok on a 210 trailer. Would never have thought it would fit properly without moving the bunks. Good if it did for your buddy's sake...

He post on here a lot and has shown pics of it before.

I would be more worried about the 196 trailer length being able to handle the extra length of the 203.

You can always move those bunks around with a little cutting and welding. If the 196 trailer is in good shape buy it and adjust bunks if necessary.

17. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Not disagreeing at all. Just wanted the OP to realize there may be some work ahead to make it fit properly. And good point about the length!

I know you weren't disagreeing. I had to take a call in the middle of that call and meant to say I will try to get him to post some pics.

19. Member
    Ha, I was talking to the same guy about that trailer. I have an older '85 around 19' that I was hoping to get on that trailer. Not sure it would fit though.
    Arnold Custom Cabinets
    214-931-8647

20. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    The 85 model is 86" beam. Probably not a good idea.... BTW, in 1985, it would have been the 184. 18'4". Next up is the 201....also 86" beam, but a lot longer at 20'1".

Thanks, hydra!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast