Thread: Dog shedding?

Dog shedding?

Has anyone else fed their dog Omega 3 fish oil to help control shedding? My vet recommended it and it is working very well. My dog was shedding about two full fur coats worth every few days and I'd say it's down by 3/4 of that after 2 weeks.
    Eric Gandy

Doesn't work on a Lab! Lol. I didn't know it's suppose to reduce shedding though. I did it for the shiny and soft fur elements. I couldn't stand a fish smelling dog any longer so I took her off that crap.
    Support 81

3. Member
    I just put it on her food and I don't ever smell it on her.
    Eric Gandy

My lab goes in phases. There are days that we have to sweep our hardwood floors 2 times a day and other times we can go a week without sweeping it because of the hair. I've never given him the supplement, but his food has it in it.

I've been giving my dogs fish oil for their skin, joint, and intestinal issues for the past couple of years, however, I haven't noticed any improvement in their shedding. I give them a recommended safe dose between 20-50mg per pound per day. I first started giving it to my mini fox terrier (Jasper) after I stopped giving him the expensive pain meds that the vet recommended for joint pain in his neck and hips. I initially gave him to my mom when he was just a pup and almost 9 years later I inherited him after my mom passed in 2005. I had no idea that the little fart would live this long and I'm pretty sure he has a few more years left in him.

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    My dogs both have been getting it for several years. Has not helped with shedding, but does make their coats shinier. They don't smell fishy.

7. Member
    Mix a raw egg with the shell in their food. This does help, plus it helps with the shine on their coat.

8. Member
    My shepherds get fish oil but the only way to control shedding is to shave them...lol

They make a liquid supplement that is suppose to curb the sheding. Guess it doesn't work on all dogs.

A good question I have for lab owners...what kind of brush do you guys use to groom them? The standard brush doesn't work well with their short hair

No, we just start feeding the new dog. We use a good no grain dog food and it helps a lot but they are still going to shed no matter what you do.