Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1025
  1. Member

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Sweet, Roy!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan805 View Post
    do you talons weigh down your stern. I have a 193 and it sits very low (without anchors)

4. Member

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawg72 View Post
    Oh yeah!

6. Member
    More of a family pic than a Champion pic, but here are my parents and boys pulling out of the launch ramp at Navajo Lake in Colorado last year (June 2020).

As far as I know, this Champ's a 184 Fish n' Ski (model year 1983, built 1984) with original everything, including upholstery and Evinrude 150 outboard that must have 10,000+ hrs on it. That rig's darn near immaculate considering its age and almost constant use during fishing season.

Probably one advantage there that it has always been a dry climate boat (AZ/CO) that was garaged whenever off the water.

But main thing is my father took VERY good care of that boat, maintained and rebuilt that motor multiple times all by himself. My mother likes to tell the story of how she drive down to Phoenix one week to visit here sisters. Came back home and couldn't park in any of the four bays of the garage because dad had completely disassembled every part of the engine and spread out all the pieces and components across 1,000 square feet of concrete. He assured her - "it's OK - it's all under control." And by the end of the week, so it was, back together and running like a top.

Good times over three generations!

I'm heading out west again end of the month. I'll try to re-post better pic focused on boat, not folks.

P1110709.JPG

7. Member
    One more from that trip - showing what this old rig was designed and built for.
    P1110905.JPG

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CobbRookie View Post
    One more from that trip - showing what this old rig was designed and built for.
    P1110905.JPG
    Those are some very cool pics and great story. I know we will get down to Navajo at some point. Maybe this summer. Looking forward to it.

9. Member
    Well worth it. Navajo's an outstanding lake for just about anything people want to do on the water. Location's a bit remote and Arboles certainly isn't much to shout about it, but that's some good deep water and scenery once you get there. After retirement, dad built his house about a quarter mile off the water and actually worked part-time a few years at the boat inspection station defending that lake from the invasive mussels. Wish I had spent a lot more time on it when dad was still running the Champ - but unfortunately, that location is a long, long drive from Georgia. He put me onto a lot of fish whenever we were there though, mostly working the rocky banks and points with jigs or topwater lures on ultralight. It's typically teeming with smallmouth in the 1-3lb range this time of year. And of course just miles and miles to run if you prefer skiiing or cruising. I've heard there's trophy trout to be caught down below the dam. Fly fishing guides work that area successfully.

By all means make sure to avoid whatever weekend the bikers hold their annual "rally in the rockies" - gets a little nuts, and a lot loud with those Harley exhausts ricocheting all over the countryside. (Of course this summer, I think just about every lake and park is going to be little nuts all season long with all the pandemic-freed travelers turned loose on mother earth.)

FYI, from reports I've heard this year be aware that the rivers and lake levels in that part of the country (San Juan) seem to be down considerably. Snowpack wasn't awful, but my mom's guess is the parched soils are soaking up more than their usual share of the melt. I'll be out there first two weeks of June. If I remember, I'll send you a DM with direct report on conditions.

10. Member
    1986 18'4 Super Vchamp 1.jpg

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CobbRookie View Post
    Well worth it. Navajo's an outstanding lake for just about anything people want to do on the water. Location's a bit remote and Arboles certainly isn't much to shout about it, but that's some good deep water and scenery once you get there. After retirement, dad built his house about a quarter mile off the water and actually worked part-time a few years at the boat inspection station defending that lake from the invasive mussels. Wish I had spent a lot more time on it when dad was still running the Champ - but unfortunately, that location is a long, long drive from Georgia. He put me onto a lot of fish whenever we were there though, mostly working the rocky banks and points with jigs or topwater lures on ultralight. It's typically teeming with smallmouth in the 1-3lb range this time of year. And of course just miles and miles to run if you prefer skiiing or cruising. I've heard there's trophy trout to be caught down below the dam. Fly fishing guides work that area successfully.

By all means make sure to avoid whatever weekend the bikers hold their annual "rally in the rockies" - gets a little nuts, and a lot loud with those Harley exhausts ricocheting all over the countryside. (Of course this summer, I think just about every lake and park is going to be little nuts all season long with all the pandemic-freed travelers turned loose on mother earth.)

FYI, from reports I've heard this year be aware that the rivers and lake levels in that part of the country (San Juan) seem to be down considerably. Snowpack wasn't awful, but my mom's guess is the parched soils are soaking up more than their usual share of the melt. I'll be out there first two weeks of June. If I remember, I'll send you a DM with direct report on conditions.
    So what's a guy from GA doing on Navajo Lake? That's a pretty good run. Also you posted in your original post that "model year 1983, built 1984". that's not possible. Give me the last 4 of your HIN and I can let you know. It's probably a 84 built in 83 since the model year changes in the June-July time frame. Good looking boat!

12. Member
    Yeah - I grew up out west, but moved to Atlanta for work. It's the lakes in Arizona and Mexico that I was raised on, water-wise. My parents retired and built a house on the north end of Navajo (Colorado side) about 15 years ago. That's why I started spending time on that incredible but faraway lake.

Anything you can tell me about the boat would be most welcome. Unfortunately, my dad got swept away quickly and unexpectedly by a blood cancer last fall, and there are so many things I never thought to ask or write down about the boat and a million other things in life. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about how to take care of the old Champ. I'm hoping it's got another decade or two to run fast in the lakes of North Georgia.

The HIN (on the paper registration anyway) is TSB05727C483, which I thought indicated it was a 1983 model boat that was built in March 1984. However when I've searched for that HIN online it comes back as "invalid."

I'm making the drive to Colorado this weekend, so I can double check the HIN plate on the hull if there is one. it's possible there's a typo. And I will post a more complete pic of the boat!

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    CobbRookie going to PM you

14. Member
    Here's one of the final pics of my father's old rig getting towed away - 1984 Champion 184 FnS.

Tx Champ was right about the HIN, the paper registration had a typo. Correct HIN from hull plate was TSB05727C484.

Contrary to my earlier plans to tow it back to Georgia and repower it, the boat was sold to one of my dad's old fishing buddies.

Bittersweet for sure, but silver lining is it will stay in hands of someone who appreciates it and cruising for bass on Navajo Lake.

Wanted to thank all the pros on this forum for all the info and stories and advice re Champs. It meant a lot to me these last couple months.

Take care, boys. Tight lines!

champ184 IMG_20210606_140436992.jpg

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Looks like she was really pampered! Someone got a gem!

16. Member
    1999 221 DCX w/ a Merc 225 EFI.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Sweet Billy!!

18. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Really neat picture, Cypress!!!!!

19. Member

A Few of my 1995 202 DCX Elite

I just completed replacing all the switches. Working on upgrading other stuff as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Welcome Mark! Need to get you a Tempest 25, that'll make that 202 get out of the water and run ...

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast