HDS7 touch gen2 with bundle package/ returning to way points

I am having a heck of a time returning to my way points. When getting close and slowing down it just doesn't respond quick enough for the boat Icon to maneuver over the way point. Very frustrating. I would think you shouldn't have to spend another 400.00 dollars on a point 1 antenna for it to work well enough to return to way-points. Before I bad mouth the unit any farther, I will admit it could be operator error. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 2000-21ssextreme
    Not sure how fast they update without the point one, when my 12's were put on I had the antennas also and it is quick

3. Member
    It is not operator error and it is not the fault of the unit. It is the nature of GPS. GPS can only fix position it's position based on the relative distance between the receiver and at least 3 satellites. This gives it a point in space where the three (minimum) lines coming down from space converge. That is not literally what happens but you can imagine it better that way. It cannot determine direction, only location. The units are able to draw a line in the direction of travel when moving at speed because the unit infers direction based on the previous position fixes. It says for the past few readings the receiver was heading north, it is reasonable to assume it will continue north. When making a turn, the unit lags slightly to catch up. You don't notice this because you are moving fast.

Having a dedicated compass/position sensor in addition to a GPS receiver is the only way the head unit can accurately display heading and distance to waypoints when moving at slow speed or stopped.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

4. Member
    Don't mean to disagree with you NoCal but before I switched to lowrance I always used Garman and the one I still have is 7 or 8 years old and it never had a problem returning to way points. I have to be doing something wrong, these units should be more accurate than this. I guess i'll call Lowrance Monday.
    Thanks for the responces and please keep them coming with any helpful info.

5. Member
    I have the same problem with a
    hds 8 .

6. Member
    Well, Garmin has come out with some pretty cool new units. Maybe give one of them a try and see if it performs any better?

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

What software version are you running? Update 2.0-45.135 addressed this, plus has several features.

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...se%20Notes.pdf

Changing HDS refresh rate to update on "time" 1xsecond.
    This may help when approaching waypoints to keep the map from turning erratically. The default setting is automatic. Changing this will increase the points on your trails using them up faster. You may want to try both settings and see which way you prefer it.

Press menu twice, hylight chart then press enter, arrow down to "waypoints, routes, trails" and press enter. Use right arrow and hylight trails, then press menu, arrow down and hylight settings and press enter. In box called logging type change that to time. Then in box below that which says time period change it to 1 sec then exit back out.

Adding a point one antenna with the heading sensor would be the best thing you can do. jmo

9. Member
    Hey, thanks guys for your in put. MarkNY, I did what you said and changed from distance to time/ 1 sec. next time out I'll let you all know how it works. Like I said before, I would not have bought the Lowrance had I known you have to purchace an additional $400. worth of equipment just to bring it up to par with the other brands, namely GARMIN. Oh well, It does beat the old flasher type and triangular method to get on your spots.
    Thanks again and tight lines

10. Member
    One more thing to justinp61. I did check and I am up to date on the latest up dates.