Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs Up Allison vs Ranger as a tournament fishing platform- review

As most of you who follow this board know by now, I traded my Z21 Ranger for an XB21 BasSport Pro about a month ago. This weekend was the first local tournament where my partner and I used my new ride. This is also the first time I have had the boat loaded to the gills for a tournament. 15 or so rods, 7-8 loaded plano boxes (the double deep model), net, life jackets, plastics, cooler full of ice, 25 gallons of fuel, my partners 7-8 rods and limited tackle.

Here is my assessment- 300XS running a stock 27 Promax

PRO's

• The headlights are so cool and functional at blast off time, especially picking up your partner at the dock.
    • I wish the rocker switches were lighted- not being familiar in the dark was a chore
    • This is the sexiest bass boat on the planet
    • The hole shot is good- (I am 260 and partner is 200 plus gear and fuel), the Promax wants to rev a bit, but when it comes over and grabs....it pulls like crazy.
    • It was fun running down and past several boats...easily I might add. Runs 70+ at barely 5000 RPM
    • I am still not comfortable driving it once I get past 75ish....getting better....but still a bit new to me
    • Much easier to drive and balance when a passenger and weight on the port side helps spread the weight evenly. Drove it to 80 for spurts, and not to scary....
    • Most people have no idea how fast their boats really run loaded, or, are afraid to admit the truth. I passed many boats on my initial run, driven by guys that claim they can run mid 70's, and I was running 75 and passed them like thay were sitting still...and I had so much more.....can't wait until I am comfortable opening this beast up!!
    • Did I mention this is the sexiest bass boat on the planet?
    • This thing rides better than any bass boat I have been in, by a lot. My partner cant stop talking about it. (he has Z21 also). Every time someone says...."but how does it ride" with that look on their face like I must be sacrificing ride for speed, my response is always...."Go ask Scott." Maybe there are others that ride better, but you would have to show me to believe it.
    • I love having a boat that people stare at when you go by...fast or slow, just don't see many of them, and that was one of the reasons that drove me to make the change.
    • The amount of storage in this thing is comical. No way you could fill this with gear. My Ranger was packed to the brim with the same amount of gear. I aslo bought some extra trays so many of the smaller items you need are high up in the compartments. Love not having to bend down in the bottom of a compartment to dig anything out. I used 2 or 3 of the shallow trays, and everything you could possibly use in a tournament day will fit in them nicely, and very easy and convenient to get to.
    • The cooler will keep ice for days.

CON's

• It is definitely narrower than my Ranger, and with dual consoles versus single in the Ranger, it is very noticible. Not uncomfortable, but you feel the difference.
    • the rod storage in my Ranger is miles better and user friendly (I carry many- too many)
    • It is a bit tippy compared to the Ranger. Again, not bad, but you feel the movement of your partner more than the Ranger
    • It is lighter and sits higher in the water, so the wind does affect it more when on the trolling motor
    • The livewells are deeeeeep.....not a bad thing, just wish the lid was a bit wider.
    • If your partner has more than 3 rods out at any time, he better keep them on the front deck, because there really isnt room for more than 2 or 3 in the rod rack......he better get used to it, because it didn't bother me. LOL

That's about all of the con's...very minor stuff that takes some getting used to, but the pro's of this boat are not to be believed. Did I tell you that this is the sexiest bass boat on the planet?? Can't remember.

I will say that once the livewells were full, that seemed to really impact hole shot. Once it finally broke over, it pulled great again, but much more bow rise and noticeably slower to do so. May need to have a smaller wheel for tournament days, while the 27 will be fine when the weather cools down a bit. (I have 1.62 lower unit)

Then, at weigh in, there were guys all over it. Asking loads of questions and looking at every nook and cranny. It's beautiful.. "thanks"...how fast will it go..."fast"...BUT how does it ride......"ask Scotty"...with a big SMILE!

Would I trade back for my Ranger........Oh hell no....why would I, I have the sexiest bassboat on the planet!!!

MET

It is so funny to always here that about the go fast boats. Guys always called my Allly's tater chips and said it fast till it gets ruff .. I would just laugh.. If they only knew.. I just started asking guys how many have they rode in.. That would shut them up. I have never rode in a XB 21 ,, so when you get used to it .. I will be waiting for a RIDE.. LOL .. I am going to try and make the BBC rally on Lanier in Jan.. Gonna pull my Stroker up there.. maybe we can meet up and swap rides .. LOL .. Glad to hear your comments.. I will say I never want to go back to a cookie cutter.. Having owned about 30 boats.. I have decided to stay on the TATER CHIP side... Love the speed and ride of these things.

HAd no idea the BBC rally was going to be on Lanier. I will definitely be there.....Lanier is awesome in January. The big Spotted bass should be chewing good! We will definitely meet up!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeod View Post
    It is so funny to always here that about the go fast boats. Guys always called my Allly's tater chips and said it fast till it gets ruff .. I would just laugh.. If they only knew.. I just started asking guys how many have they rode in.. That would shut them up. I have never rode in a XB 21 ,, so when you get used to it .. I will be waiting for a RIDE.. LOL .. I am going to try and make the BBC rally on Lanier in Jan.. Gonna pull my Stroker up there.. maybe we can meet up and swap rides .. LOL .. Glad to hear your comments.. I will say I never want to go back to a cookie cutter.. Having owned about 30 boats.. I have decided to stay on the TATER CHIP side... Love the speed and ride of these things.

I will say- that is truly one of the most honest and fair assessments of our boats.

I will never get tired of guys asking...... how dang fast were you running when you went by me ??

My favorite answer..................... You know I think we ALMOST hit 75 gps.. The look on there face is priceless..

5. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    "The amount of storage in this thing is comical. No way you could fill this with gear."

Yeah right, I thought the same thing....that's the problem with having so much room!!! And even after I load it with everything I own I can still outrun most other boats on the water!!

"the Promax wants to rev a bit"

Ask Lee to have Robbie build you a Bravo in I'm guessing a 28 and you will be so far ahead of the others on hole shot you won't have many to pass during your run!! My Bravo that Robbie built builds to about 3100 RPM's by myself and is gone in less than 3 seconds. With a rider it's only another second with no revving and the bow drops and you're gone!!

"the rod storage in my Ranger is miles better and user friendly"

I never had a rod storage system in a boat so this is my first. I too, try to stuff too many rods in my starboard rod organizer but if you are willing to scale down a bit you will quckly figure out where and how to put the spinning rigs in with the casting rigs for peak efficiency!!

My partner puts 2 or 3 rods in the pasenger side rod tray and the 2 or 3 he's using from spot to spot go along his left leg. More than that and i store them in the port side front locker til he needs them.

great write up!! Very non biased and accurate!!

Try to make the Watts BAr Rally this year, one you will not forget!!
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

6. Moderator
    Great write up once again Michael.

Sounds like a good time at the tournament.

Hope you don't mind that I made your other post a sticky and will do the same with this one if that's ok.

Fine with me Lee. I stand by every word. Post away. What do you think about Craig's suggestion on the Bravo? Worth taking a shot at having Robbie build something for better hole shot when loaded? Let me know what you think. PM/email or call to discuss. Remember, I also have the brand new 28 promax in the box. Not sure when I would use it, unless when the weather gets really cold?
    Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    Great write up once again Michael.

Sounds like a good time at the tournament.

Hope you don't mind that I made your other post a sticky and will do the same with this one if that's ok.

Would it be too much to ask that you post this in the General Bassboat Topics as well ??
    I would like to see the responses it would generate.

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

Quote Originally Posted by 22R View Post
    Would it be too much to ask that you post this in the General Bassboat Topics as well ??

22R
    This is a great idea !!!!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22R View Post

22R

it will generate a lot of hate I predict

Thanks mgeod, I posted over there. I am planning to attend!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeod View Post

13. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    "The amount of storage in this thing is comical. No way you could fill this with gear." You will be making a correction to this statement!!!

I told Nancy that the one thing that I did not like was that the boat (same as yours) had two much storage!! She said she had never heard that as a complaint and ask why! I said "Now I have to go out and buy more baits to fill the dam things up!!" Which I did! Those back to compartments are LARGE!!

I have been in a lot of boats over the years and the XB 21 bass pro was the best riding boat that I have ever been in, in the rough stuff!!!!

14. Banned
    MET, Ive been running that hull for 7+ years. If you keep it long enough (some do not), you will find that it's as easy to drive as any other. It's funny how the rougher the water is, the slower everybody else seems to run!

You're about to have some fun with those "80mph Basscats and Tritons"...

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Commander View Post
    MET, Ive been running that hull for 7+ years. If you keep it long enough (some do not), you will find that it's as easy to drive as any other. It's funny how the rougher the water is, the slower everybody else seems to run!

You're about to have some fun with those "80mph Basscats and Tritons"...

That last sentence is so true.. I m amazed how many 75 mph rigs I pass at 75.. LOL

16. Banned
    Thanks for the honest description of how this boat performed under tournament loading! Everything sounds nice but I don't thing I could get over the narrow deck and the tippiness but that is just me. Maybe one day Allison will come out with a wide body design.

17. Banned
    ^ God I hope not...

I'm with you Rob. I hope they don't change a thing. Seems like the perfect balance between ride/speed/functionality...start messing with the recipe and I am sure you sacrifice in other areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Commander View Post
    ^ God I hope not...

19. Banned
    Ive owned all of the fat/wide/hull forward/ and whatever else they've come up with from Arkansas, Missouri, and Texas

20. Member
    After reading this I want one even more combine this with the XB21 in the boats for sale and I'm losing sleep. MET if you ever get down to Lake Oconee give me a shout I would love to see how that girl rides.
    3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast