Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    I am not a fisherman###but being in a buddies 2 seater versus the 2+2 as not an avid fisherman, the main thing I notice is the space between the consoles on the 2+2 is noticeably less if you like to re-tie sitting between the consoles....I use that a the place for the spotter to sit when pulling skiers...

Having a single console 2+2 could elieviate that issue however...........

so many Choices...

ALLYFISHING still super happy you needed a 2 seat boat.

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    my pleasure!!!! And a big thank you to Lee to make it happen
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    MET

I was wondering if any more " ah ha's " has hit ya regarding your A-boat? Now that you have fished several tourneys and prefished out it. Do any of your perspectives change? Ride (in boat chop, waves, big surf) , Storage (like versatility), rod storage, Fish-ability, stability at rest , deck space,trolling motor function (moving the boat around), how the boat turns, fuel econ and maybe what competitor anglers are saying. Has anyone just drop their rods and asked for a ride? Anyone get passed in the rough water and scratch their head? Peace

JDM,

Have any perspectives changed- good question.......not really.

All of the things I mentioned early are still the case. As storage goes, all compartments are huge. Way more total storage than in my old Z21 Ranger. The only things worth mentioning with respect to storage on a negative note is this. The rod storage in the Allison is not as spacious as the Ranger. The Ranger had awesome rod storage. The center rod box was exceptional and really easy to get in and out of all day. The Allison is really good for a normal fisherman, but if you have lots of rods and take them in and out throughout the day, it can be a little painful. To be clear, I probably keep 20+ rods in the boat.....

Ride: the ride is unparrallelled. Better than any Bass Boat I have ever been in. The bigger the water, the more it separates itself from others. There may be other brands and models that ride or handle better, but I have never been in one. I have given MANY people rides that have asked. They can't believe how this boat does.

Fishes just fine...2 on the front, no problem. Not as wide as some other traditional brands, but hasn't been an issue yet. Very stable at rest....not as much so as some of the other wider designs, but shape of the Allison I believe is somewhat responsible for the exceptional performance. I wouldn't trade more width and stability for a lesser ride. I know that. Trolling motor function and placement is awesome.

Fuel economy is stupid good. You wouldn't believe how much running you can do on a tank of fuel. No way to quantify for you, but I think I burn half the fuel I used to burn in my Ranger.

Like I tell everyone who asks.....there are things I really liked about my Rangers and my Triton that I would love to have back. None I would have if I had to give up my Allison to get them.

It really is an unbelievable machine. If you think you are going to come out of a Ranger/Triton/Skeeter, etc, and just have a faster boat, you are badly mistaken. This is a driving experience. Not point and shoot. Takes a bit of getting used to. The boat is "alive".....you feel and hear the water because it is not insulated with all of the foam that normally muffles your feel of the ride. You are ONE with the boat and the water. Everything is magnified and faster. It turns faster and sharper, it accelerates like nothing you would believe, very very trim and jackplate sensitive. It sounds like a cliche I know, but it is the difference between driving a big luxury car and a sports car. You need to be giving input. Won't drive itself.

Have I passed people in rough water......all day everyday. I fish Wednesday night tournaments on Lanier once a week. Last week, water was fairly calm at blast off. I caught and passed a Ranger Z521 w/250 merc. When I got even with him, my partner says..."go get him MT"...all I did was trim up a hair and pointed at the smart craft. We went by him running 74 at a ridiculous 4900 RPM.

When we got done with the tournament, the Ranger owner says to me '"you were toying with me weren't you?" He said.."I was running 73"....I said I know, I had to bump up to 4900 RPM to catch you.....I wasn't even trimmed up when I ran him down. I would also say, had it been rougher, he would have been slower and I would have been faster.

PLEASE don't get me wrong. Not bashing Ranger or any other brand. Just stating facts. I wouldn't trade mine for anything I have seen yet. The day may come when I want something difference, but right now, it is as good as it gets everytime I launch.
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

5. Member
    MET I think its awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by MET View Post
    JDM,

Have any perspectives changed- good question.......not really.

All of the things I mentioned early are still the case. As storage goes, all compartments are huge. Way more total storage than in my old Z21 Ranger. The only things worth mentioning with respect to storage on a negative note is this. The rod storage in the Allison is not as spacious as the Ranger. The Ranger had awesome rod storage. The center rod box was exceptional and really easy to get in and out of all day. The Allison is really good for a normal fisherman, but if you have lots of rods and take them in and out throughout the day, it can be a little painful. To be clear, I probably keep 20+ rods in the boat.....

Ride: the ride is unparrallelled. Better than any Bass Boat I have ever been in. The bigger the water, the more it separates itself from others. There may be other brands and models that ride or handle better, but I have never been in one. I have given MANY people rides that have asked. They can't believe how this boat does.

Fishes just fine...2 on the front, no problem. Not as wide as some other traditional brands, but hasn't been an issue yet. Very stable at rest....not as much so as some of the other wider designs, but shape of the Allison I believe is somewhat responsible for the exceptional performance. I wouldn't trade more width and stability for a lesser ride. I know that. Trolling motor function and placement is awesome.

Fuel economy is stupid good. You wouldn't believe how much running you can do on a tank of fuel. No way to quantify for you, but I think I burn half the fuel I used to burn in my Ranger.

Like I tell everyone who asks.....there are things I really liked about my Rangers and my Triton that I would love to have back. None I would have if I had to give up my Allison to get them.

It really is an unbelievable machine. If you think you are going to come out of a Ranger/Triton/Skeeter, etc, and just have a faster boat, you are badly mistaken. This is a driving experience. Not point and shoot. Takes a bit of getting used to. The boat is "alive".....you feel and hear the water because it is not insulated with all of the foam that normally muffles your feel of the ride. You are ONE with the boat and the water. Everything is magnified and faster. It turns faster and sharper, it accelerates like nothing you would believe, very very trim and jackplate sensitive. It sounds like a cliche I know, but it is the difference between driving a big luxury car and a sports car. You need to be giving input. Won't drive itself.

Have I passed people in rough water......all day everyday. I fish Wednesday night tournaments on Lanier once a week. Last week, water was fairly calm at blast off. I caught and passed a Ranger Z521 w/250 merc. When I got even with him, my partner says..."go get him MT"...all I did was trim up a hair and pointed at the smart craft. We went by him running 74 at a ridiculous 4900 RPM.

When we got done with the tournament, the Ranger owner says to me '"you were toying with me weren't you?" He said.."I was running 73"....I said I know, I had to bump up to 4900 RPM to catch you.....I wasn't even trimmed up when I ran him down. I would also say, had it been rougher, he would have been slower and I would have been faster.

PLEASE don't get me wrong. Not bashing Ranger or any other brand. Just stating facts. I wouldn't trade mine for anything I have seen yet. The day may come when I want something difference, but right now, it is as good as it gets everytime I launch.
    Last edited by JDM; 06-14-2015 at 03:06 PM.

6. Member
    Question MET, Is is possible to get rod storaged draw systems in both rod lockers?? Would that give you more rod storage?

7. Member
    i am sure it would be possible the fixtures would
    Just have to be flipped
    180 for them to be installed

8. Member
    Yes, the rod storage system can be installed in port and starboard rod lockers on a Bassport Pro. Comes standard in the starboard compartment and an option for the port side.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Member
    maybe that would help his rod situation?

10. Member
    JDM which model 21 do you have?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Member
    don't have yet….lol… eventually…someday.

12. Member
    Sorry JDM....I got mixed up, it's MET needing more rod storage, right?

MET, which model do you have? 2+2 or the Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

I have the Pro- wouldn't say I need more storage per se, just saying relative to the rod storage in my Ranger, the storage in the Allison is a bit tighter and not as user friendly.

All other storage in the Ally is awesome.

14. Member
    ohh my bad MET I was thinking if an extra draw system would make it easier drawing rods that would help. Yeah the Z21 has the most generous rod arrangement out of any boat I think.

15. Member
    I'm pretty sure after all my research, my next boat is an Allison. So, how to outfit it? 2 PP's a must, but what about a 36V TM? Would the extra weight of the batteries hurt the balance or the ride and performance, hole shot? Obviously it will hurt some, but any experience? Is the Allison so much lighter that a 24v TM system works fine?

16. Member
    a 36 V lithium battery would not be a bad idea if you think you need a 36 V troller, not sure how many if any have used a 36V troller. When not fishing I leave my 12/24 in 12V mode.

17. Member
    There are a few that run 36v TM's TB21 runs a 36v MK and he did mention the 3'rd battery made a bit of a difference. Those that I know of that moved on up to the 36v in a 21' model did so due to the area and type of fishing. Guys down south in Fla and really heavy vegetation run the 36v for cutting thru weeds or if you fish tidal and heavy current rivers you may need 36v. I have a 24v with a Lithium Pro battery and never have an issue with power. But I don't run in those conditions I mentioned. I do fish an electric only lake occasionally and have never been down on power either.

as for power poles, that is user preference only and how you fish. If you need pp then have the brackets installed at the factory. The Allisons designed their own brackets and are the best mounting solution for the 21' boats. I have no use for PP's
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

18. Member
    I have the 21' BasSport Pro Elite with twin power poles (with the Allison factory brackets) and a 36V trolling motor. I am in Florida and fish in heavy vegetation where the extra thrust comes in handy. If you don't absolutely need the 36V trolling motor, definitely give a 24V 80 lb. thrust trolling motor a try. The extra battery weight does make a difference. I opted for an AGM battery. The lithium batteries are still too new and too expensive for me.

19. Moderator
    I have several local customers that fish the James and Chickahominy rivers which have a 4+ mph current, in their 21's with 82# 24-V trolling motors. They fish some pretty big tournements and have no problem.
    CPA Basser is the only one with a 21 I have rigged with a 36-V troller since the 21's came out in 2003, I can see why he needs it chopping new channels through the weeds, the rest I have talked out of doing it and have not had any complaints.
    I don't know how much speed and fuel economy the fourth battery and larger t/m takes away, but I have learned that the two powerpoles take 3.5 to 4 mph off of the top speed on the Allison's due to wind resistance. They also handle different, especially in windy conditions, not bad, just different.
    I'm sure an extra battery, bigger t/m and powerpoles effect all boats, not just Allison's.

Squire-

I was convinced I wanted a 36V troller on my XB21....was told by many I didnt need it. I decided to take the advice, and have no regrets. I fish open water, no grass, and it is plenty. No regrets at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I'm pretty sure after all my research, my next boat is an Allison. So, how to outfit it? 2 PP's a must, but what about a 36V TM? Would the extra weight of the batteries hurt the balance or the ride and performance, hole shot? Obviously it will hurt some, but any experience? Is the Allison so much lighter that a 24v TM system works fine?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast