Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Just stumbled across the Erie question. Yes I fish Lake Erie and St.Clair several times a year , but I have to be honest...I'm still not a rough water expert , I only go out if its a safe forecast and I typically don't travel far on the bigger waters , about 10-15 miles one way is pushing my limits of comfort. With that said I agree with the above "No bass boat is safe on a big lake that can get as rough as Erie will". But of all I've ridden in the 21' Allison is by far the best I've experienced . I have been caught out twice in changing conditions that weren't pleasant at all "I'd say easy 4-5'er's and it was no problem getting back in , had to slow down and took awhile but I never once took water over the nose sides or back , it was kind of funny the one time I got caught in the rough stuff " There were 2 guys fishing the same area in a Ranger Walleye boat that were headed in same time I was and we got back to the ramp at the same time , they came over to check out my boat after they got all tied down , they told me that they were betting they would have to give me a ride back in when we headed back to the ramp and they were shocked that I was able to stay ahead of them after we took off , what shocked them most was I was completely dry and wore no rain suit on the ride , they were soaked to the bone in rain suits "this was not a rainy day , they were wet from water coming over bow" . I hear some guys say they can run 3-4'ers on plane in the Allison.....well if that's true , which I doubt , I'd sure like to see how , because I can't. I can and have run 65-70 in true 2' chops for long runs and it's a very pleasant ride.

2. Member
    That is what I have heard about the boat. It does the job and does it better.

3. Member
    I agree that the Allison XB-21 is good in rough water. I only have 1 1/2 years of experience driving mine and the TN River is the limit of my exposure to rough water in an Allison. I know others have much more Allison seat time than me and probably in much bigger waters so I will stand down with my comments. I believe I have seen 3 footers on the TN and have driven my XB-21 through them on plane and it handled well as long as I was headed straight into the swells. If I got sideways to them I got pounded just like I would in my last bassboat (not an Allison).
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by JWW9589 View Post
    I agree that the Allison XB-21 is good in rough water. I only have 1 1/2 years of experience driving mine and the TN River is the limit of my exposure to rough water in an Allison. I know others have much more Allison seat time than me and probably in much bigger waters so I will stand down with my comments. I believe I have seen 3 footers on the TN and have driven my XB-21 through them on plane and it handled well as long as I was headed straight into the swells. If I got sideways to them I got pounded just like I would in my last bassboat (not an Allison).

My Allison XB 21 was the best riding bass boat I have ever been in. I fish mainly Toledo Bend and Rayburn. I was always amazed and pleasantly surprised at how well it did. I miss that boat!

6. Member
    Traybird what do you run now?

7. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    You know, I just read this whole thread and you guys are what BBC and owning a bassboat are all about. I don't fish Allison, but who knows...............I may in the future. This thread is what built BBC; Informative, sharing of information and all posted by informative BBC members.......................all without the constant seemingly never ending bashing that constantly goes on on BBC. You guys have awesome rides and one day I would love to go for a ride in one. With your permission, I may start hanging out on here from time to time...................good thread guys and fine, fine boats that you have ..................................Roger Rose

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

8. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Hey man...always welcome!!!! And thanks for the sincere post.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Good read and a very sincere non bias assessment it sounded like. That's what this place is for I need to get in one of these at some point before I buy another boat.

10. Member
    I don't even know what to say.....What a great thread!!! I have owned a number of Tritons but have often been curious about Allison's line....It all started on a trny. going out of the Kissimmee River...I was boat #6 in my Toon and passed the boats in front of me with ease. The water barely had a chop on it (perfect running conditions)...I was trimmed all the way up and running a whopping 73-74 on the gps....I began to hear this buzzing sound...Like a small group of bees flying around my head, clearly not the case going that fast, but none the less, that's what it sounded like...I began turning my head back and forth looking for the noise...my co-angler began looking too...Then he nudged my shoulder and pointed to my 4 o'clock....here comes this white and red boat...he stayed off my starboard side by about 100 yards and blew by me like I was a tugboat....I had no idea at that moment what kind of boat it was, all I knew was that it was FAST!!! I thought I was in a pretty quick boat. I passed plenty at tournaments all over the country. This guy just made me look foolish. Not on purpose, it just happened that way.....My goal for the end of the day was to find this guy and get him for cheating. There's no way a 250 (limit trny motor size) could be running like that. I did find him...with a pretty decent sack of fish by the way...Nicest guy in the world. I didn't get a ride in his boat that day even though he offered me one and I've never been in one since...I still own a Triton but I have long been wanting an Allison...I am not quite ready to pull the trigger yet because I am trying to stack up a little money first.......The one thing that has really been holding me back was the worry of how these boats would handle rougher water. I don't fish all over the country anymore but still fish plenty of tournaments and need a boat that will perform....

That being said. This thread has pushed me over the edge! Next summer I will have an Allison in the garage. Not sure which one yet because I still need to investigate which is the best for performance and tournament fishing as well as taking the family out.

Only question I have is this.....I am only 5'9" tall....are these seats going to seat to where I can comfortably see the view in front of me to read the water or am I going to be sitting low and not have a good view?

Thank you for all that have posted up to this point....I will continue to be a stalker on this page until I have one in my garage... :)

11. Member
    Buktmouth, welcome to the unknown

My wife is 5'-7" and she has no issue driving my 2+2 in the same position I use and I'm 6'-2"

12. Member
    buktmouth, the seats are now on risers due to the increased size of the new consoles to fit the larger electronics. And Alison makes spacer sets for under the seats as well in various sizes to accommodate vertically challenged owners.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

You do sit in an Allison as opposed to on them like the majority of boat brands but Allisons running attitude is flat. Visibility is better than most would expect

I may have ALS but ALS does NOT have me.
    Contribute to the Ron Miller Nursing Scholarship Endowment Fund
    http://www.excelsior.edu/web/donors/...endowment-fund

14. Member
    Thanks for the fast replies...from what I've seen so far, it looks like the XB21-BasSport Pro would be the perfect boat to fit what I want to do...primarily trny fish. The wife and 2 little ones do accompany me from time to time on the boat but it looks like this boat is set-up like a Toon and we fit fine together in my that. Is there another model I should be looking at or is this the best one for tournament/fun fishing? It looks like these come standard with the ability to accommodate the larger electronics as well...Is that the case or have they been modified in some way? I am not as interested in going 100+ miles per hour (although that would be fun) as I am in a FAST boat that still handles rough water well (as any bass boat would...not trying to run through true 4 footers at WOT) and is ready to fish a trny on any given weekend....Thanks for suggestions and some urging in the right direction....Just want to cover all my bases so that once I have funds together, I am ready to pull the trigger on the right boat.... :)

15. Member
    With the little ones, I'd think a 2+2 would be the perfect choice. I actually ordered a Bassport last year then changed to a 2+2 when my daughter told me she was pregnant as you can guarantee that little one will spend a lot of time with my wife and I on the lake in the near future.
    We love the boat and absolutely made the right decision with the Allison 2+2

2+2 3.jpgOrange.jpg

16. Member
    Your boat is gorgeous sci, but aren't you sacrificing a lot of deck space? Not sure I want to give up that much fishing area....???

17. Member
    Thanks Buktmouth,
    I fished off the front of a 17'-9" Laser for a year then the front of my 2003, the over 7' of front deck on the 2+2 seems like a tanker to me

We never have the rear seats in place unless there's a third person and the space behind the front seats is great for me to stand when I'm tending to my wife's fish. Standing in the floor and setting on the back deck is really comfy instead of keeling.
    Last edited by scj; 04-26-2015 at 06:32 AM.

18. Member
    2+2 faster also

19. Member
    Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to have to weigh this in as an option. I do a lot of tournaments where I have to draw for a partner and not sure how much room I am willing to sacrifice. Generally when I go out with the family, we all have our spots to sit in and don't generally run very far. Spend more time beached for the kiddos to play or idling around.

20. Member
    Either the 2+2 or the 2 seater pro will fit your needs. Obvioulsy, the 2+2 will allow for your wife and kids to go along with their own seats. You will, however, sacrifice storage and deck space up front where you will need it most if you are a tourny fisherman. The 2+2 rod organizers are in the port and starboard gunnels alongside the passenger and drivers seat behind sliding doors. I'm told that the 2+2 now has a factory option of a rod rack in the center compartment on the front deck which would make it much more handy.

The Pro Is better suited to my style of boating and fishing. All my rods go in the starboard rod locker and my plano boxes in the port locker up front. The center compartment houses my containers with termial tackle, spare line etc. The cockpit is very roomy with more than enough space for a child to sit on the floor between moms legs in the passenger seat and another on the pottie lid if need be or facing to the rear if seated on the step up cooler.

I bought the 2+2 first thinking it would be neat if the wife and I ever wanted to take friends out on the boat. That only ever happened once in 3 years. I never kept the rear seats in so I realized one day that all that extra room back there could be used up front where I spent all my time anyway. Then I traded it in for the Pro and I couldn't be happier.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast