Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    I own a ranger but stalk the Allison facebook page and now this page and after reading this it just makes me want to get a xb21 bassport that much more! The amount of thought and ingenuity put into Allison's is just mind boggling........the little things like a working wind shield, head lights and telescopic front graph are things that no other cookie cutter brand has ever attempted to my knowledge. Keep it up Allison!!!
    Hey Fish Boy,
    Stalk and step in any time, glad to have you.

2. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    I often dream of a light 2.0ish litre 4cly 4 stroke twin turbo putting out 330-360hp and sips gas wen out of the boost on a 2002 :drool:
    I'll go for that too!!!!!

3. Member
    I like the comparisons!!.

How would you compare the Allison to Z21's:

Dry ride (staying dry while runnin?
    Consoles protecting the drive from the wind ?
    Seating comfort?
    Riding stability at 50 60 70 mph
    Durable? like in waves?
    Turning underway?
    Runnin the Trolling motor, is the boat agile?

JDM,

Welcome to the board. I think most of of your questions were answeres in my original post, but here you go:

Very very dry ride. You sit down in the Allison versus on the Z21. I also think the hull deadrise promotes spray away from the hull moreso than the Ranger.
    See above...the fact that you sit down in the Allison also assists in wind prtection. The console and windshield protect you.
    The bucket seats are extremely comfortable and stable....adjustable as well.
    The ride is exceptional at any speed. Very stable and connected to the water. Once again, the deadrise of the V is long and pronounced. You just have to ride in one to believe.
    Turns like it is on rails.
    The boat is very agile with the TM down. As I mentioned above, it is lighter and sits higher in the water. This means it is more affected by wind than the Ranger, but takes much less TM to do the job, and very responsive to TM thrust.

Hope that helps.

MET-
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    I like the comparisons!!.

How would you compare the Allison to Z21's:

Dry ride (staying dry while runnin?
    Consoles protecting the drive from the wind ?
    Seating comfort?
    Riding stability at 50 60 70 mph
    Durable? like in waves?
    Turning underway?
    Runnin the Trolling motor, is the boat agile?
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

5. Member
    very cool thk U very much

I like a lot of rod storage and thought they talked about the boat holding 30 rods. Is that with an option?

You could probably get 30 in there, but that would be a bit of a stretch. You could use the center box and the port side compartment to put them in in bulk, but the starboard rod storage rack will hold 10-15 comfortabley, and you could squeeze in more if you wanted. Just my opinion.
    very cool thk U very much

I like a lot of rod storage and thought they talked about the boat holding 30 rods. Is that with an option?
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

7. Member
    thanks
    Hey Met reading your post it sounds like the boat is stable at rest.
    Does it float and fish well in Big water (waves).
    Whats the biggest waves you have had to navigate it in?

8. Member
    thanks
    Hey Met reading your post it sounds like the boat is stable at rest.
    Does it float and fish well in Big water (waves).
    Whats the biggest waves you have had to navigate it in?
    I have the same question as well, how would this hull do on Lake erie in 4' swells?
    If at first you don\'t succeed,dont take up skydiving

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hometownhandyman View Post
    I have the same question as well, how would this hull do on Lake erie in 4' swells?
    PM TB21; he has his 21' Allison on Erie as much as anyone.

10. Member
    Maybe TB21 could weigh in when hes not busy. I would be Erie..lol..not talkin with me lol It seems like an amazing fishery thanks guys!

11. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I'll PM him and ask him to chime in here.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

That is a very nice comparison Michael. I especially liked the cons and think they showed some real honesty. I've been into Italian sports cars for over 30 years and someone told me that 'Allison was the Ferrari of bass boats;' I think I've been interested in them ever since. I have sniffed around for an Allison several times, including about 3 years ago but could never catch a ride in one- although Rob did offer if I came to VA. I've enjoyed a 2011 Z-520 now for almost 3 years (and watched some 'A' boats languish for sale a good bit of that time, just sayin). I am still curious, perhaps not currently "in the market" for a new boat but interested all the same. Perhaps we can get together some day for a short ride. I love Lake Lanier and those chunky spots; fished there last Saturday on a real 'off day' and it took 17 and change to win our club tournament (MBM). I only had about 9 lbs... Unfortunately I can be on 'Toona in 20 minutes, while it takes me one hour and 40 minutes to get to Lanier.
    Bass Wishes,
    Mark

13. Member
    Not good. No bass boat is made to take 4' swells, not even an Allison.
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JWW9589 View Post
    Not good. No bass boat is made to take 4' swells, not even an Allison.
    That is true Joe, but the 21's will take them as well or better than any other bass boat.

15. Member
    I agree Lee. The XB-21 is awesome in chop and still a sturdy platform in swells. We don't see 4' swells on the TN River unless you are out there in severe thunderstorms when you shouldn't be. If I was fishing the Great Lakes where they get them more frequently I think I would rather be in something with a deep vee hull.
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    I am assuming JWW is talking about more of a multi-species rig… not a bassboat… correct me JWW if I am wrong.

But as far as "bass" hull goes. I am gathering the XB21 is still the best bass hull. Due to its aggressive vee, and keel. I can honestly see this to be true as I was shocked by the old X2003 hull, although not a traditional open deck bass boat. Its ride trumped a three 20ft Rangers and a 2-20 tritons in 3-4ft. Of course some of this is driver also but all these particular anglers run their boats pretty hard. I was there witnessed the deal. Up in the greatlakes a lot of guys are running Rangers and the Z21s is a favorite. They are in 3 and 4 footers often and sometimes bigger. I've heard many times now that XB21 hull is handling 4 ft waves better than the rangers/ cats/ stratos/skeeters/Legends and tritons. I make this important distinction because the tournament anglers are going to navigating this stuff often. Professional anglers on Mead, Havasu, Columbia, Erie, Cal Delta, Raybrn, the big O, I mean their are another 30 bodies of water are going to have at least 3- 4 footers a 1/3 of the season. When you make a 70 mile run one way in just 2 plus ft chop, it can be a bear. I've made 40 miles runs until I hit 8 footers and then it took me an hour to go 7 miles lol The big water is not going away especially if you hunt big fish or fish professionally.

17. Member
    Allison will do want you want if you know which buttons to push but they will provide a false sense of security up until you push too far. Does that seem to make sense....they seem to be unbelievably good till they are not

18. Member
    I definately get it…thanx

19. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    Allison will do want you want if you know which buttons to push but they will provide a false sense of security up until you push too far. Does that seem to make sense....they seem to be unbelievably good till they are not
    I must be slow, I don't get it at all.

20. Member
    I don't think it has anything to do with a false sense of security. If you don't know the boat and don't have any respect for it's limits or it's intended uses, it'll disappoint you I'm sure. It's a bass boat, not a big water boat
    Last edited by scj; 11-16-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast