Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Clear coat removal- top cap restoration! And more!

Time has come! Some idiot put automotive clear coat on my G before she was meant to be mine. This thing is embarrassing. Me and my dad started tonight. We took razor blades and started scraping. I bought the blades that are the thinnest .009, that way they would kinda roll with the boat. We got quite a bit done in two hours. Lots left go!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Sent my seats covers to Mary Kay last week too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

first off...what year and model do you have?
    looks like a 209, however painted in the DEI colors...
    would love to see more pics...

never heard of scraping off gel coat with razor blades...i would have thought you would be sanding it off with a buffer sand pad, but please keep us posted with pics...!!!
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Looks like exactly my color scheme?

5. Member
    Ok . I should of been more clear. Someone sprayed my boat (cap) with automotive clear coat! It is peeling off everywhere . I am scraping the whole top cap. The hull is fine. On the top cap the clear peels with your finger nail, except for on the white that is still stuck. I have put some minor gouges in the gel though.YIKES! I did some more tonight. No pics though. It looks the same

6. Member
    I was going to pay some one to do this . It was supposed to go to his shop 2weeks ago but that didn't happen. Now he won't pick up . WTF people just don't work these days!. So I started it. From what the guy said we remove the clear coat, then wet sand with 600, 1000, 1500,2000, rubbing compound, proteck polish and sealer. Then spray gel coat clear coat. It that right?-----I am not spraying anything! Lol. I will find someone to do that- yall chime in here if you done this before. There is a mountain of experience on here! I am open to suggestions.

7. Member
    LOW SLUNG......it's a 209, good job! 1998, I will take pics of the whole boat soon!

I'm pretty sure ur going to have to repaint the top cap then clear it...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

9. Member
    Does anyone know a shop that is capable of spraying gel coat clear on my top cap. I need it to be in sw Florida . Figured I better start looking now

My suggestion would be storm boats I have seen some of his refurb work and its nice. I thi k he is the moderator on the storm section, if not they will tell you how to get ahold of him. IMO

11. Member
    O ya. Dow!...thanks forgot about them for some reason. Btw I start at a new dept on nov. 5.

Awesome how long is your probie class? And yes I see the work storm does and its impressive

13. Member
    On probation for a year! Crap I am a probie again.lol

14. Member
    Today we got a lot done. Is all that's left is the back transom area and the inside. (All the hard stuff....great) then we are going to start wet sanding. I need to trick some of my redneck buddies into helping me. I plan to offer them beer and ribs on the grill. Hope it works!

15. Member
    S&A leisure in welatka sells G boats and does a great job with gelcoat. It would be worth the trip

Quote Originally Posted by 206gambler View Post
    S&A leisure in welatka sells G boats and does a great job with gelcoat. It would be worth the trip
    Do you know if they sell G apparel and goodies?

I am no expert but I have re-gelled a boat that the owner did the same thing to. Clear coat would come off with fingernail. I didn't have much of the original gel to work with, previous owner sanded through clear gel, then into metal flake, through that and into the color beneath in some spots. Big PIA! I would start with 800 or 1000 wet sanding the progress to 1500 and then 2000. 600 is a little course IMO but it might need it. Fill in your gouges with gel before you wetsand the whole boat. Depending on how much the previous owner sanded before they clear coated you might not have to spray clear gel on top. Elbow grease and lots of time will bring the gel to a mirror like finish. Then from there do proper maintenance to keep it looking a million bucks. I'd do a test area wet sanding only and then compound, glaze and wax to see how she comes out.
    Last edited by UL Ragin Cajun; 10-18-2014 at 08:36 AM.

18. Member
    Call Scott at S&I Leisure...m.g.

19. Member
    Ragin Cajun....thanks for the help, but I have a question. How do you fill in gouges with gel? . The gouges are in the white. Is the gel white. Lol, I really don't know anything about this .

20. Member
    I am fixing to start wet sanding today. This is going to take a long time.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast