Thread: 1st time in md

1st time in md

Looks like I may get to go fishing Monday or Tuesday for the first time since moving to mount airy MD. Which do you recommend, the upper bay or the Potomac? Also, given the recent rain, will the water be muddy?

Thanks

2. Member
    Upper, hands down.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBassNJ View Post
    Upper, hands down.
    Thanks

What ramp? Prefer a loading dock. I'll be by myself.

Was out today for 5 hours. The water is very clean and their chewing. Go to the upper bay!! Anchor marine in Northeast or tidings in Havre De Grace are good ramp choices.

Be careful if you have never been out there. Plenty of area's to bust yourself up on.

Oh and BTW, welcome to MD, I'm sure you will enjoy out taxes. .
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    I don't think you'll go wrong either way...Upper Bay or Potomac. But what TDT91 says is true. These are ever-changing tidal rivers and things can change and stuff can move. The fishing can be incredible, but tread lightly as you learn the water. On the Potomac, you might be best to launch at Smallwood first. On the Upper Bay...Tydings or Anchor.
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

Totally right. Hopped around the NE and got bit on moving baits and pitching. Went to the flatt. The grass looks great but could get a whiff.

I'm fishing the gunpowder area right now. Not many other boats. Seeing lots of rockfish. I go every Monday in the upper area if you ever want to come see the lay of the land.

9. Member
    Welcome to this "wonderful" state brother. Dido to the above and watch out on the flats. make sure you know it or you will be ON it. And take chefchadwells up on his offer, that area can treat you right..........at times.

10. Member
    Thanks all. Went out of a marina near tydings park today, not the city marina I found online. Rode around a while and beat the bank some. Pretty foggy at times. I can definitely see how you tear up the boat. Only one striper, 0 bass. I have a lot to learn. That's the fun part.

Chefchadwells, I'd love take up on the offer. I'll cover all gas, fees, and lunch.

If your willing to do that you will prolly have lots of guys willing to take you out on the water.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

That sounds good , I'm in gas, fees, and lobster and steak lunch .

13. Upper Chesapeake Bay Club Moderator RiverRatMD's Avatar
    My 250XB burns 28 gallons an hour......Let's do this 191 Champ I'm a cheap date, Chicken Chesapeakes and some Crown royal ought to do it!
    Gambler 2200 / PRoCraft 180 / Roughneck Jet / Mercury 250XB, 175 / Evinrude 50

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRatMD View Post
    My 250XB burns 28 gallons an hour......Let's do this 191 Champ I'm a cheap date, Chicken Chesapeakes and some Crown royal ought to do it!
    And I thought I was going to run out of gas running one hour each way at the regional on the James from Osbourne to the chick with my 43 gallon tank! We should do the poker run from Anchor to the mouth of the middle river LOL I won't win the initial race but I'll make it back without re fueling! Can't wait for the Jam! BTW 191 welcome to the upper bay!

15. Member
    Too funny. Wouldn't think of not offering though.