Thread: THINGS TO FIX

THINGS TO FIX

1992 TRAVIS EDTION 1750...
    WHEN I AM RUNNING THE BOAT ON PLANE AND NO TRIM, IT SEAMS TO PULL HARD TO THE RIGHT, AS SOON AS I TRIM IT IS STOPS AND THE STEARING BECOMES EASY, I KNOW THAT I AM PICKING THE BOAT OUT OF THE WATER WHEN TRIMED, BUT WHAT WOULD BE THE CAUSE OF THE HARD RIGHT TURN AND HOW DO I GET RID OF IT.

ALSO SEEM TO HAVE SOME WATER IN THE BILGE, BUT ONLY AFTER I COME TO A STOP AND THE FLOOD HITS THE BACK OF THE BOAT. ANY SUGESTIONS?

HAD THE GPS OUT WITH THE BOAT AND SHE DOES ABOUT 51 ON THE SMOOTH WATER, IS THAT ABOUT RIGHT? REMEMBER I AM USING THE GPS SPEED NOT THE SPEDOMETER, MORE ACCURATE.

2. Member

Re: THINGS TO FIX (fishinforfun)

I have a 93 pro 168 travis with a Johnson 120. Mine has the same two issues. If you over fill the rear livewell it will flow into the bilge. There is an overflow hole in the side of the livewell but runs down to a hole next to where you put you plug it at the bottom of the transom. I sure there is a logical reason for that, I just havn't figured it out you. The fron well overflows out a hole in the fron above the waterline. On the pull to the right, I don't know. I plan on moving the "trim tap" right above the prop and see if it changes.

3. Member

If it is manual cable steering then your going to get some right pull until the boat is trimmed out. What prop are you running? Also, does it have a Jack Plate?

4. Member

Re: THINGS TO FIX (Airborne!)

ok so what is a jack plate? if it is the little tab on the round plate above the prop than no, otherwise you will have to help me out a little more. as far as the prop, don't really know but i will try to figure it out. will write back as soon as i get home and figure stuff out. how do you know if it is manueal cabel? maybe i will post a few picks of it and that will help.

5. Member

Sounds like you do not have a Jack Plate and I really doubted you did. Very basically a Jack Plate is an adjustable “Plate” put between your motor and transom to allow you to “Jack” the motor higher as well as put the motor further back. If you had one you would definitely notice it. It allows for some boat/motor performance tweaks. Using a Jack Plate and raising the motor higher can sometimes cause torque issues at speed.
    There should be a name or number or both on the prop. Also what RPM are you getting when you are running at 51mph?

6. Member

the prop size is a 14 1/4 x 21+ and i think i was running about 5100 or 5200 rpm.

7. Member

Well for that boat with that setup I think 51mph is about what you can expect. You could always go down in pitch 1 inch on the prop and pick up another 200rpm and maybe another mile an hour or two or maybe three depending on what prop you went with. But if the boat's hole shot is acceptable, it is riding nice and turning well then I would just stay with what it is running. Is that a 3-Blade prop?

8. Member

sounds like yu need a blot on torque tab, it bolts onto the skeg

9. Member

Re: THINGS TO FIX (rexman100)

ordered the tork tab, hope that will help.

i have noticed that the front livewell seems to fill and discharge ok but the back one does not want to fill up. not a huge problem so far since we fill it with ice and use it as a cooler, but i am worried that there may be a line that is leaking since there seems to always be water in the bilge. not alot, but a gallon or so each time. the other thing i don't know is how low is this boat supposed to sit in the water? when i am crusin and come to a stop it seems to flood the whole back of the baot. this is the first bass boat i have owned and not sure if that is normal.

10. Member

So on the livewell, does the water not want to come in to fill or does the water come in ok, but keep draining out? If I am not mistaken the livewell drains into the bilge and the bilge pump pushs it out from there.
    I have not seen a 1750 from that year in action, but looking at them sitting in the water or on trailers I always thought they looked relatively low at the stern. The Freeboard to the Gunnel has a steep pitch and then up from the Gunnel to the Deck also has a steep pitch...almost V shaped from the Gunnel up and down. Looks really nice on the F/S and I am sure it serves some purpose, but it looks like it would channel the water up and over or at the very least into the Transom Well. I have seen other boats get good washs when coming to a quick stop including my buddies older Ranger.

when u shut down , just as the water looks like it's going to come over the back.. give the boat a little gas and it will pop right out of it..