Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I would stay away, especially how nasty Clear Lake water can get. You can find a lot better boat for 7k. That whole thing will need to be gone through.

I would seriously question taking that boat if it were given to you free. It might cost you money to dispose of it. I bet this is more than a little cleaning to make it look good. Since its been sitting outside without any care I would think the transom and stringers to be suspect as well.

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AceBassPro View Post
    I'd pass and never look back.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Member
    You have the bargaining chips. Tell him he has one week after closing to get it of your dock! If that boat was pristine and running its a 5k boat

5. Member
    Thanks for your insight everyone I'm pretty sure the owner won't want to deal with the boat when he sees its current condition and will leave it with the house. Hopefully the problems if any will be relatively minor things to deal with and my family is rather handy with mechanics and DIY projects so cleaning it up/ replacing the carpet and tuning up the mercury shouldn't be an arm and a leg issue. I just hope theres no serious issues within the boat that will make it pointless to restore.

6. Member
    Agree with everyone else. He has 2 weeks to get that POC off your dock. Most likely the lower unit is shot form all the corrosion. I'd bet the water passages are plugged off completely. Not to mention the areas that hold the various bearings in place are weakened. New lower unit = $1500 alone. Storage cover is shot. New Ranger cover is $1000. I wouldn't worry so much about the spiders. Mice and other vermin like to nest in covered vehicles and will chew on wiring and everything else. Trying to chase down all those problems = A BIG AZZ HEADACHE and money spent. You can take $7000 and buy a very nice rig with a trailer for playing and fishing on the lake.
    Dad said "That boy's a fishin fool"
    2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Power(Ifn you wanna go it's 6 in a row)
    2009 Ranger 208VX Merc 225 Pro XS

7. Member
    SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!! WTF. That is not worth 700$. The way it sits. If it was showroom it would be worth 5k. Please don't buy that, be smart. I have redone a couple boats and they were in really good condition to begin with. It takes thousands of dollars. Run run run run run run run , I hope you get it for free then it would be worth it to put a little money into it. Good luck buddy

8. Member
    He is clearly trying to take advantage of the situation and gouge you. Greedy. I'd try to turn it around on him.

As others have said, make him remove it at his expense. Guessing he won't and you may find yourself with a boat. If that happens, you need signed documentation (bill of sale and/or title) that meets CA requirements to title in your name. If he doesn't sign it over, start charging slip/dock fees of $100/week.

Another point - if he inherited it and hasn't seen it, I'm guessing he hasn't changed the title to his name. Not sure about CA, but it turns into a huge headache in MN when the titled owner is deceased and watercraft is in an estate/trust or you have to deal with an entitled benefactor.

Good luck!

On second thought buy the house if you want then charge him dock fees. lol

10. Member
    To fix that bad boy up, it would cost you more than it's worth. I've seen nice ones selling for 4K, lake ready. I have my eye on one and he wants $250.00 for it, no motor. That old black max isn't worth messing with, you can buy the all da long for $500.00.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dncy View Post
    The owner inherited it so I dont think he's even seen it so 7 grand was the number he got from boat fax. with what all you guys are saying unless we get it with the price of the house, we should tell him to spend the couple grand to get it off the property .
    Bingo. Tell him to get it off your property once you buy it and then you can spend some time looking into a good boat for $7000 or less. I doubt if that guy will even take it. you might end up inheriting it too. If you do, this is a great place to get info.

12. Member
    I'd pass even if it was free. You have to remember it has sat in water for two years and I'd imagine that water has seeped in the the flotation foam, wood rot and what else you cannot see..
    It's a shame another classic Ranger has been lost forever...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12