Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

second attempt ranger 365v is it worth it?

Hello all, second attempt here with my first post but have been lurking these forums a lot the past few days. Here's my dilemma. We are purchasing a house up in clear lake CA on the water with it's own dock. The previous owner passed away last year and left his 1992 ranger 365v in the water. The owners grandson inherited the house and never came down to look at or do any maintenance to the boat so it has been just sitting for at least a year(possibly more) in the water without being started once.

Now originally the listing said the boat came with the house but he recently changed the listing and took the boat out in order to lower the houses appraisal. We wanted the boat and asked him if we could purchase it separate from the house since what's the point of having a dock in your backyard if there's no boat. He told us that the boat was very well maintained and he set the price at $7000.*

So when we went up to look at the house I immediately noticed that the boat was not as nice as we were led to believe. The prop has been sitting in the water for at least a year and has a lot of moss and algae growing on the entire submerged surface. There is a cover over the top but when I lifted up the passenger side to look at the condition of the interior I found a lovely infestation of spiders. Theres all kinds of dirt dust dead bugs spiderwebs and trash under the cover to the point that I didn't want to take the cover all the way off and get inside the boat to look around to thoroughly.

I took pictures of the interior and motor as well as a short video showing what I saw. Now my question is how much would this boat be worth in this condition since no one is sure that it runs and will need to clean out the mess inside and take a look at the motor to make sure nothing needs to be replaced before it's able to start up.

Also we looked everywhere and there doesn't seem to be a trailer for the boat on the property so getting it out of the water to take it to a shop is another issue. the boat probably looks worse than it is but I'm new to all this.

What do you guys think the value of this boat should be set at without a trailer and in it's current condition and how much do you think it would cost to bring it back to it's former glory.

1992 ranger 365v:
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I'd give him 2 weeks after closing to get it out of there and I'd bet he would give it to you, and I still wouldn't take it.

3. Member
    I hate spiders! seems quite high for that boat

4. Member
    it would clean up, but it'll take a lot of work and a lot of new parts, would need to have mercury gone completely through and the interior will need to be replaced, might be dry rotted. I'd offer $ 250.00 after it was pulled from water and checked over from bow to stern and all electrical may need replacing as well. of course, you'll need a trailer to fit that model. cost's adds up on a boat, that's been neglected that long, especially, ones that been in the water so long. If you can get for $ 0 would be a good price to pay for it. would make a good long winter project. good luck and let us know what you do.

I'd pass and never look back.

6. Member
    Yeah i think the original owner got the boat and just drove it home across the lake and docked it. There's a lift on the dock to bring it up out of the water but that's as far from the water as it's gonna get and we aren't sure if that needs to be fixed either. How much would it cost to find a replacement trailer (or where to find one at that) as well as tow it out of the dock.

7. Member
    You can buy one running with a trailer for $7000.

$7000 for just the boat with no trailer? Pass.

9. Fishing is a Passion
    How or where did the owner get the price from. That boat is going to need a lot of work. If you like projects then go for it. I would point out all the issues and tell him to throw it in with the price of the house.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

10. Member
    Not a chance, as stated you can get a nice boat for 7k...... run, run away,as fast as you can.

11. Member
    Nope!

The he seats looks alright but the carpet needs to be replaced, the whole boat needs to be wetsanded, and you have a merc that has been sitting in the water for god know how long. The moss on the prop would fly off in no time but I would be concerned the water I take and possibly the impeller would be caked with that as well.

A d for comparison, I could get a 1996 Ranger R5 with a merc racing 200 that works with a trailer right now for $6000 Canadian and we only use the boats a few months of the year!

$250 would be a little low in my eyes but it is t worth much more in the condition it is in with no trailer. I would pass.

12. Member
    I wouldn't touch that.

Remember, unless you plan on keeping it forever, your not gonna get a return out of it. Lots of work, parts, elbow grease, and $. If you got all that then have fun.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

14. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    offer him 500 or tell him take it away then you can have some fun making it look good and putting a few dollars into it and have a nice rig just needs some TLC
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

RUN Forrest RUN! Look on Craigs List, there's a world ( Literality) full of used boats for sale... water ready to run, better than on water non-running and ruined..

16. Member
    I sold the same boat in great shape with trailer for 5k. Run.

Even if it were $7k WITH trailer, run, don't walk away from that cuck.

18. Member
    7K for a 92,,, in that shape,,,,dont think so. Apply your money to a better deal.

run, don't walk. Run away.
    Sincerely,

Shawn Cartwright
    AKA "rabidsquirrel"

Check out my Bass Fishing Team's blog: http://cartwrightrealtyfishingteam.wordpress.com/

20. Member
    The owner inherited it so I dont think he's even seen it so 7 grand was the number he got from boat fax. with what all you guys are saying unless we get it with the price of the house, we should tell him to spend the couple grand to get it off the property .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast