Just bought a Cajun today !!!

Just bought a 1996 Cajun 171 RC with 120 HP Force. It goes about 50 mph if the speedometer reading correctly. Anyway, it was pretty fast and stable. I think this old boat hull is better than some new low end Nitro that I have been in.

I HAVE ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION:

The previous owner was not sure about the gas tank size. I filled up today about 23.3 gallon. It has some gas in there. Since I need use 50:1 mix, I need to know what is the exact size of its gas tank. I am guessing either 30 or 32 gallon. Can someone own this model to verify it?

Thanks,
    Pleasue to join the Cajun club....

Re: Just bought a Cajun today !!! (kronite)

Welcome to the Cajun board
    you should put in enough oil for the 23.3 gallons of gas you put in.. you can go to wally world and get a mixing cup that show how much oil for 1 - 6 gallon of gas...

3. Member

As bigfishingstud pointed out, getting a premix measuring bottle for about 2to 3 bucks is the way to go.

I had a VRO tank and got rid of it. i premix 50:1 also. I pump my gas, paying attention to how much fills the tank. then I measure out my oil and using a long funnel, I pour in the oil BEFORE I travel to the lake (at least an hour away for me, no matter what direction I go). The resultant highway ride mixes my gas and oil for me on the way to the lake. I stow my measuring bottle in my battery/utility compartment with my gallon jug of oil. it helps to make sure the batteries don't slide around too by cushioning them, and if I need to premix on the water at a marina, i have all my gear with me. Just a thought.

4. Member

This might be worth a try, found this a few days ago, has the original brochures of many boats, including the 96 cajuns.
    http://www.boatingwithdawsons.....html

5. Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kronite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since I need use 50:1 mix, I need to know what is the exact size of its gas tank. I am guessing either 30 or 32 gallon. Can someone own this model to verify it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess I'll have to be the smart a&* on this one! Calulate the volume of the tank, (Length x width x depth) ....

Convert the answer (cubic inches) to gallons by dividing the answer by 231:

If your tank is 36" long, 24" wide and 12" deep....

Volume = 36 * 24 * 12 = 10, 368 Cubic Inches

Gallons = 10,368 / 231 = 49.137 Gallons....

As far as filling the tank, I buy gas in 6 gallon increments....for every 6 gallons, I pour in the appropriate amount of fuel (16 ozs) BEFORE putting the gas in. That way, the gas going into the tank mixes it pretty well and the mix is finished off during the road trip. I buy oil by the gallon and re-use the 16oz bottle I have. When it get's grungy, I breakdown and buy a new one....

6. Member

How about some pics?

Re: Just bought a Cajun today !!! (alces1954)

For a 50:1 mix (what I do) you use one quart of oil for every 12 gallons of gas. so you for 23.3 gallons of gas you need to add just under a half gallon of oil.
    Burning the candle at both ends.

8. Member

Re: Just bought a Cajun today !!! (Th' Ragin Cajun)

I just bought a 1994 rajun cajun 19'3" with a yamaha pro v 150. I'm very
    excited. I pick it up this saturday. I have had friends with cajuns and am
    in love with this boat! Can't wait to get it home. Would love to hear from
    all you cajun owners.

Re: Just bought a Cajun today !!! (madmikecajunman)

Congrats to both of you new Cajun owners. Great boats! It's a shame they don't em any more. I have an '88 RGFM with a 150 Mariner. Rides great handles the water nice to!

Steve Walters
    Chester VA
    '97 Bass Cat Eyra
    175 Mercury EFI
    2010 Wilderness Tarpon 120: For Kayak Fishing!

10. Member

do you have any pics ???

11. Member

Re: Just bought a Cajun today !!! (jeremy420)

Had it on the water yesterday. It ran about 55 at 3/4 throttle-2/3 trim.
    It was a very choppy day. At about half trim it cut right through the
    waves.

12. Member

Cajun " it's like a Timax take a licking keeps on ticking" Handling rough water is just one of the things that makes a Cajun boat stand out

Doc Irv Custom Bait Pro/Staff
    http://docirvcustombaits.com/tacklebox/

13. Member
    I just bought a 91 travis edition 178 with 2015 90 hp Evinrude. Does anyone know where the bilge pump access is? I would like to replace the manual pump with one that has a float switch. Would also like an owners manual but can’t find any on line yet. Any help with the pump location would be appreciated!

14. Member
    My 1995 Travis has 2 pumps and they are in the center rear hatch close to the gas tank. Check the sticky notes above for manuals info. I found one but it was no help, just operating info. I read that the dealers did all the installation/wiring graphs, etc. per their own specs. with no manuals.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

15. Member
    Not to be one to break up a party. But you guys should start your own threads. I'm confused. I think we have 3 new Cajun owners and that's awesome but OP just got his post over run. I would love to see all these boats. This is a great brand and everyone is excited. Let's just have a little decorum, Thanks.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

Quote Originally Posted by Enskyte View Post
    Not to be one to break up a party. But you guys should start your own threads. I'm confused. I think we have 3 new Cajun owners and that's awesome but OP just got his post over run. I would love to see all these boats. This is a great brand and everyone is excited. Let's just have a little decorum, Thanks.
    And, the original post was from 2007, so this is really a resurrected thread-from-the-dead! So two of the "new" owners are pretty old. lol

Oldmanriver - welcome to the forum! I don't have the answer to your question, but most commonly (if the bottom of the bilge isn't directly visible) there may be a filler plate that needs to be removed. Might have to more or remove a battery, or oil tank, then lift up a plate to gain access to the bilge, plumbing, pumps, etc...?
    If you can post a pic of your bilge area, we may be able to offer more advice too.

17. Member
    Didn't even see that. What a Mess.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO