1992 Cajun Espirit

Hello, I have a 1992 Cajun Espirit with a 150hp Evinrude. Last year my livewells stopped pumping water into both the front and back. When I turn on the switch for the pump we can bearly hear the pump or pumps. We have been unable to locate where these pumps are to replace. Anyone have any idea where these are?

2. Member

Re: 1992 Cajun Espirit (ghamilton)

They are generally towards the back in the bilge area. I know thats a little vague, but its all I can tell you. Don't know much about your model, but I'm sure someone does.

3. Member

If you have two or three seats mounted on a 2'x6' or so piece of plywood ahead of the rear live wells, you may have to remove the screws and look below by the gas tank. If you have two separate seats on stadium boxes, you may have a floor panel between the seats that you can pull the screws on and then access the hull by the gas tank. I had an 88 Esprit at one time with the stadium type seats and it had a removeable floor panel. Don't know if that will help at all. In my current Cajun, the pumps are below and behind the gas tank which is under the panel below the drivers and passenger seat in the top mentioned config.

4. Member

ghamilton,

I know it sounds dumb but first thing you might want to check is the shutoff on the spray nozzle outlet in you livewells. If that is shut off you'll hear the pump run (and I believe you said you could) but get no flow in the livewell.

Barring that, if you can't hear the pump run then it probably needs replacing. There is a plate in the splashwell that says access to pumps but I found it almost to reach anything from there. If your '92 Espirit is like mine, you will find the livewell pumps and plumbing underneath the floor of the trolling motor compartment. On mine it's the compartment that runs the width of the boat just behind the rear seats and pedestal mount. Remove the trolling batteries and there should be two carpet covered pieces right in the middle of the compartment that run from the floor to the top of the compartment. Both are held in place by phillips head screws. Remove all screws and the two pieces. You can then remove the piece in the bottom center of the compartment that is also held in place with phillips heads. (they may be hidden by carpet). Once that piece is removed you will have access to the pump and plumbing that is used for the livewells. Mine was a Mayfair, you can find them at BassPro or on the Internet. Be sure to check all the plumbing and make sure you have no leaks and I'd advise checking the bilge pump and float switch while you've got it opened up.

5. Member

Re: 1992 Cajun Espirit (cajuncatfish)

OOPS...

I was checking the batts in my '92 today and realized I gave a description on replacing the pumps in an '89 model Espirit, not the '92. (I've got an '89 too ). On the '92 the pumps are still under the trolling batteries, only there are no horizontal boards to remove, just take out the batts and remove the long board that is the floor of the compartment.

Hope that helps.

Cajun, built to last