History of Cajuns

Cajun Special Boats was affiliated with Mastercrafters corp. who built the trailers and the boats. They were located in Winnsboro, LA, 71295 in Franklin Parish, they had 170 employees, (no union) their phone number was 318-435-9431 later changed to
    800-825-2628. At some time the were purchased by Genmar Holdings INC. They began business 11/21/1985 and went out of business 7/1/2002(what a shame)

Does any one have additional info??

2. Member

Re: History of Cajuns (BJS)

To my knowledge, it was Cajun boats......Cajun Special is a whole different breed of boats, and are aluminum hulls. Cajun Special is still in business, we have a local dealer here in town.

As far as them going out of business in '02, I thought it was sooner than that. The newest model you can find is a '97.

The rest of the information......seems to be in order as far as my understanding is on them.

3. Member

Re: History of Cajuns (Chad7n7)

The information I got was from the Franklin Parish business archives.

It must have been in 97 when they were bought by Genmar.

4. Member

Cajun Boats did stop manufacturing boats in 1997. My 1997 Esprit 1800 was one of the last to roll off of the assembly line before it closed. I called the company in 1998 and they were still open for parts distribution, but not manufacturing. Maybe the parts distribution was what closed in 2002?

5. Member

Re: History of Cajuns (TurboDog)

My first boat was a 97 Stratos. I'm from CT, and remember seeing a purple Cajun and a red Cajun, and wishing I bought one of those. I used to remember thinking those were some cool looking boats. That red one was pretty hot looking. Sad to hear they were bought by Genmar and discontinued.

Re: History of Cajuns (2000ChampionDriver)

Cajun set a lot of firsts in boat building. First fish n ski & first digital dash. Sad to see they didn't make it through the buyout. I always like their boats and nearly bought a new Cajun Ultra back in the late 70's.

7. Member

My first boat was a 1986 Cajun Maverick, bought brand new in 1987. I kept it for 11 years, and it was an awsome boat for me! I remember hearing that one of the reason's they shut the plant down, was due to EPA and hazardous waste regulations. I remember seeing photo's of the plant, and it'sprobably wasn't up to snuff with air emission controls, and the sort. I beleive Mastercraft, who used to own Cajun, still makes ski boats today. I have some old 1986 & 1987 Cajun sales literature that shows the different models. maybe I should scan some of them and post here!

8. Cajun Boats/MN Fishing Reports Moderator DJ from MN's Avatar

Re: History of Cajuns (JackOH)

Great idea Jack

9. Member

Re: History of Cajuns (JackOH)

You are right about the hazardous waste regulations. I read a case hearing from Franklin parish that cited the company for poor emmisions. I will try to find again and post.

10. Member
    I had a 1980 Cajun with an Evinrude 115 on it, bought it used and hammered it for years. That poor boat! I had zero problems with it except for the expected, worn out trolling motors, a couple of damaged props, I dropped an anchor in the live well trying to beat a storm and cracked the bottom of the live well. Bilge pumps, plumbing, live well pumps.... It was a great rough water boat, I was out there when most were back on the trailer. I always regretted selling it.