Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3 Liter on xb2003

Opinions/Thoughts/Setup or advice . Will be running a 12" plate with sm lower

While not recommended there are some running this combo but at only 4"-6" of setback

3. Member
    I would like to know the reason for 4 to 6" of setback ? I have it on a 14" plate on a 20 xd at the moment , It does fine on the bullet .

4. Member
    The added weight of the 3.0 amplifies the set back. 14" of set back on an 03 with a 3.0 and you'll have water on the back deck at rest would be my guess. And don't compare what works on your Bullet it's way different than an Allison. I'd like to hear your results if you do it because somewhere down the road I am going to build a XB2002 with a 3.0 Merc.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TB21 View Post
    The added weight of the 3.0 amplifies the set back. 14" of set back on an 03 with a 3.0 and you'll have water on the back deck at rest would be my guess. And don't compare what works on your Bullet it's way different than an Allison. I'd like to hear your results if you do it because somewhere down the road I am going to build a XB2002 with a 3.0 Merc.
    I will be doing it this weekend so I will keep you posted . As far as water being over the back of the boat at rest , I understand what you mean with the 14" plate off setting the balance of the boat . Only reason im trying to get a comparision is because I had a 2.5 15" 260 on the bullet and took it off and put the 3 liter on there , There wasn't much difference in handling between the two motors.

The extra weight of the 3 liter on the xb 03 does change the handling characteristics of the boat. The extra weight on the alli will be noticeable, much more than on your bullet. Also Darris does not recommend the 3.0's on the xb03 b/c of a higher risk of a barrel roll if you hook your boat. You need to join the allison owners board if you have not already. There is some valuable information on that website.

7. Member
    Ive tried to join allison owners and it will not accept my email address . Ive even tried emailing the head man over it . I guess saturday we will see how it does with the 3.0 on there .

8. Member
    Kenny is running a 300xs on a 2003 with a 12 to 14"plate last I talked to him. No problems so far. I think Hank ran a 300x on one for a while. No problems. Not an ally owner but as long as she goes straight it just handles different. But as stated above when/if the boat turns the added weight could get ugly. Be safe

9. Member
    When I had my 03 I thought about it and read a ton on the subject.

I got to the point where I decided if I ever did try it it would be on a cut down mid section. That's gonna be alot of weight up real high on that boat. I love driving 03's. I didn't wan to do anything to take away that great handling.

10. Member
    Good info cj Im like you 5.0 , Ive got alot of experience driving allys and bullets . Ive been around them my whole life but with a 2.5 . I see alot off ppl say the 3 liter will handle different than the 2.5 on a bullet but I didnt see it , To me it actually drove better and felt like the boat was hooked up better .

West Union,Myrtle,Etta, or what ever this place is called MS !
    Quote Originally Posted by JTBULLET View Post
    Ive tried to join allison owners and it will not accept my email address . Ive even tried emailing the head man over it . I guess saturday we will see how it does with the 3.0 on there .
    Join the club. Been trying to join over 2 years with about 4 different emails (went through the trouble of getting them so one would be accepted .......no reply) Good luck.

12. Member
    Well the 03 does well with the 3 liter . Good hole shot and with the 12" plate the back of the boat is no where near being under the water . Ive got alot of setup to do and props to try out but im pleased with how it performed . I think im still going to try a 14" plate just to see what happens .

13. Member
    careful there is a thread about a gransport and a 3 liter you may want to check out on screamandfly

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    careful there is a thread about a gransport and a 3 liter you may want to check out on screamandfly
    I'll check that out . My motor came off a ss2000 and the ss ran fine with it .

15. Member
    Ok so I just went and read most of that mess , First off the guy said it was his first allison and " assumin " he's never drove one prior to this . He said he came off pad to quick ? Or possibly trimmed down to fast ? Either way its driver error and the 3 liter is irrelevant to his situation .

I read it too and the comment that best sumized what happened was made on page 8 when a guy said based on your prop to pad height you would have hooked with the 2.5 225pm ratcheting case eventually anyway you just happen to be running the 3.0 250xb when the right circumstances came along. He simply ran his engines too high for a gs with the stock lip.
    Last edited by hirks; 09-22-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Like you said the guy was inexperienced. Experience is a plus but there have been 'experienced' ally pilots that have wound up in the hospital for reasons outside of their control. I feel the same as you, 'why can't you run it'? The answer is you can but you are taking a chance. With that being said we take chances everyday in all kinds of situations, heck turning the volume down on your radio is neglecting the road long enough to not avoid an accident. The setup you are running is fine as long as you keep it running in a straight line. You asked for thoughts, opinions, and advice on the subject but sounded like you had your mind made up. I was erring on the side of caution. Keep us posted on the numbers and be safe.
    Jarrod

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UL Ragin Cajun View Post
    Like you said the guy was inexperienced. Experience is a plus but there have been 'experienced' ally pilots that have wound up in the hospital for reasons outside of their control. I feel the same as you, 'why can't you run it'? The answer is you can but you are taking a chance. With that being said we take chances everyday in all kinds of situations, heck turning the volume down on your radio is neglecting the road long enough to not avoid an accident. The setup you are running is fine as long as you keep it running in a straight line. You asked for thoughts, opinions, and advice on the subject but sounded like you had your mind made up. I was erring on the side of caution. Keep us posted on the numbers and be safe.
    Jarrod
    Well my mind wasnt made up , I just wanted advice and those that have expressed there opinion I apprechiate it . Everybody say's you cant run the 3 liter on a xb because of the extra weight etc etc . Theres just no hard evidence saying that you cant because this " xxx " will happen . Ive spun out a 03 with a 260 before but it was nobodys fault but mine .

The deal is the weight of the 3.0 being that high with a 20 inch motor. With the design of the strakes on the bottom of the boat, with a 2.5, the lighter engine will let the hull break free and spin around if you hook the boat for any reason. With the heavier 3.0, Darris cannot guarantee the hull would break free and it could bite and barrel roll. I know of one that had that exact thing happen with a big Yamaha. That's the reason as it was explained to me. I'm sure there are instances where a roll could happen with any engine, 2.5 or 3.0 and bigger.
    Jeff Brazil - Allison XB2003 - 225 Mercury Promax

20. Member
    Trust me, the hull does not always just break free and spin around if you hook the boat for any reason. If Darris has a guarantee that it will, then he owes me about $20,000, not including pain and suffering.
    Last edited by catfish123; 09-22-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast