Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shimano Chronarch CI 4+ Reels....Need Help!

I recently purchased 2 of the new Chronarch CI 4+ reels and I am considering taking them back, if I can. I cannot get them adjusted to cast for the world. They have 3 adjustments that I am aware of and one requires the side plate to be completely removed which I feel is a huge step backwards. It is a recipe for disaster in my opinion as taking that thing off while in a boat for me, is very risky business. That adjustment has 4 magnets and with all 4 engaged, I don't backlash, but could throw it farther with my hand. With only 3 engaged they only go slightly farther and with anything less than 3 engaged, it unspools like their is no tomorrow when I cast, if I don't have my thumb on the spool so hard that I burn it!

I have a birds nest on almost every cast and the reels are very loud when casting and they occasionally start to grind in the middle of a retrieve and become very difficult to reel. As soon as I hit the free spool button, they are fine for a couple of casts then they will have the problem again.

I have lots of other Shimano's and have zero trouble casting whatever lure I want to cast, so I don't think it's me, but maybe it is.

Does someone have the secret to getting these set up correctly?

2. Member
    I have two of them but have only used one for a few casts several months ago. I had no issues. My biggest concern is the frequent recommended maintenance.

3. Member
    I have 2 of them and don't care for them at all. Shimano seems to be deteriorating in quality. I tried a Lews BB1 and I've been hooked. $150 v's $270 and the cheaper reel performs better.

4. Member
    The frequent maintenance was a translation gone wrong. I have a met, a curado I and a CI4+ and have used them all season and have yet to do any maintenance.

Now ow for the OP request, you shouldn't have that much of a problem with this reel. I love this new braking system but do agree that it would have been nicer if they could have kept the sideplate attached.

This is my way of setting it up and my attempt to walk you through it.

1 - open the sideplate and turn on two of the four brakes and close the sideplate.
    2 - ensure the numbered wheel on the outside of the sideplate is at 1.
    3 - adjust cast control knob on the handle side sideplate so that the lure that you are using falls smoothly and does not pick up too much speed while falling.
    4 - crank the sideplate numbered wheel to 3 or 4 and start from there. If you are grill birdsnesting, turn the wheel up a bit. If you are not getting good distance, turn the wheel down to 2.5 or 3.

As for grinding, I would think it may not be engaging properly. If you set the reel up properly, you shouldn't have any issues with this but if it continues, I would just send it in.

i absolutely love this reel and would recomend you try and get used to it. I like this reel more than my metanium. The curado is not as refined as the chronarch. If you can get used to this reel, you will fall in live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    The frequent maintenance was a translation gone wrong. I have a met, a curado I and a CI4+ and have used them all season and have yet to do any maintenance.

Now ow for the OP request, you shouldn't have that much of a problem with this reel. I love this new braking system but do agree that it would have been nicer if they could have kept the sideplate attached.

1 - open the sideplate and turn on two of the four brakes and close the sideplate.
    3 - adjust cast control knob on the handle side sideplate so that the lure that you are using falls smoothly and does not pick up too much speed while falling.
    4 - crank the sideplate numbered wheel to 3 or 4 and start from there. If you are grill birdsnesting, turn the wheel up a bit. If you are not getting good distance, turn the wheel down to 2.5 or 3.

As for grinding, I would think it may not be engaging properly. If you set the reel up properly, you shouldn't have any issues with this but if it continues, I would just send it in.

i absolutely love this reel and would recomend you try and get used to it. I like this reel more than my metanium. The curado is not as refined as the chronarch. If you can get used to this reel, you will fall in live with it.
    Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will give it another try before giving up!

My reel repair lady told me, that if a backlash starts at or towards the beginning of a cast tighten the spool tension and if happens toward the end of the cast increase the brakes.

7. Banned
    I agree it's a great reel will cast a lite lure almost as far as a spinning reel follow these instructions and you should be fine remember the knob on the side when adjusting a little goes a long way

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    My reel repair lady told me, that if a backlash starts at or towards the beginning of a cast tighten the spool tension and if happens toward the end of the cast increase the brakes.
    I think that is backwards. Brakes at the beginning and tension at the end.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    I think that is backwards. Brakes at the beginning and tension at the end.
    I agree with you SS. That is why I learned with the dual braking systems,. The cetrifigal brakes would deal with the spool speed up and contral at the beginning of the cast and the magnetic brakes would help at the end of the cast.

I have 20 of these reels and love the crap out of them. They were the one reel I found that fit my palming style. I don't know why, but they do. I have never understood why people don't learn how to cast a baitcaster without all of the fancy brakes. They are nice when the wind is blowing, but just for casting you need to train your thumb to be the brake. Every cast is different and you can't apply brakes to not backlash on a 20 ft cast, then be able to wing a lure at a school that just broke the surface, or skip a bait under a dock. They all need different stopping points and your good ole thumb is all you need. the only maintenance i do is wash them down with fresh water when I get home and do the quick drop of oil every other trip that's in the manual. just my .02....
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by yj99t04 View Post
    I have 20 of these reels and love the crap out of them. They were the one reel I found that fit my palming style. I don't know why, but they do. I have never understood why people don't learn how to cast a baitcaster without all of the fancy brakes. They are nice when the wind is blowing, but just for casting you need to train your thumb to be the brake. Every cast is different and you can't apply brakes to not backlash on a 20 ft cast, then be able to wing a lure at a school that just broke the surface, or skip a bait under a dock. They all need different stopping points and your good ole thumb is all you need. the only maintenance i do is wash them down with fresh water when I get home and do the quick drop of oil every other trip that's in the manual. just my .02....
    You're a better man than me. First of all I couldn't begin to afford 20 of these at one time. Secondly, I handle a baitcaster as good as anyone I have ever fished with, but there is no way in hell that I could turn off all the breaks with these and cast it the way I do my other Chronarchs and Curados only using my thumb. If I could have, I would have never posted this.

Let me rephrase my first sentence. You are a MUCH better man than me!!

For the record, to some of the others that have commented, these have 3 separate brake systems...not just 2.

All of the above, except tune them before you get into the boat, like the night before or something. I agree it is frustrating trying to tend to a reel while in a boat. I only keep one of the inside brakes engaged. I feel I can cast quite a bit farther with my CI-4's than any other reels I have owned. I spent a lot of time casting in the back yard and pitching to targets. I hope you get them dialed in because they really are a great reel.

John,

The Chronarch Ci4+'s are a really "amped up" reel. They do tend to get backlashed more than the average reel if they are not dialed in properly. You've gotten some very good advice here that should make all the difference. They are an awesome reel, especially when it comes to all around quality. BUT, you certainly aren't the first person we've heard of struggling to get them dialed in.

If you decide you don't like them and want to return them, give us a call and we will take care of you.

Thanks,
    Brian @ ALFC

14. Member
    It's not only you. A buddy of mine who rebuilds reels bought one of the new Shimano's and had fits getting it right. He super tunes most of his reels. He slapped the new Shimano on a nice long 8' rod and off we went fishing ledges with deep diving crank baits. I bet he cussed that reel half the day before he got it right. Once he got it all adjusted right he was chunking the deep divers a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by American Legacy Fishing View Post
    John,

The Chronarch Ci4+'s are a really "amped up" reel. They do tend to get backlashed more than the average reel if they are not dialed in properly. You've gotten some very good advice here that should make all the difference. They are an awesome reel, especially when it comes to all around quality. BUT, you certainly aren't the first person we've heard of struggling to get them dialed in.

If you decide you don't like them and want to return them, give us a call and we will take care of you.

Thanks,
    Brian @ ALFC
    Now there is a sponsor ya can count on! A whole bunch of "atta-boys" to you sir!

16. Banned
    I'm a huge Shimano fan, and use nothing but Shimano baitcasters.

However, IMO, every Chronarch after the D-series is junk. Anything Chronarch D or older is good. If you want the same quality of the Chronarch D, it comes in a new package with a new name....It's called the Core. They are nothing more than a re-painted D with a different name on the side. Everything is EXACTLY the same.

So, if you want to get that good quality, you're gonna pay for it. No longer let the Chronarch name fool you. As a long time customer, I feel that Shimano is doing a great injustice to its patrons by shoveling out sub-par reels under a name synonymous with quality (Chronarch).

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

So, if you want the same quality of the Chronarchs you've been used to all these years, you're gonna have to step up to the Core or higher priced reels.

17. Member
    I only use one internal brake and don't know if I could backlash if i tried. I'm wondering if you have the tension set properly. Also, have you tried using less than 3 and turning the dial up to 6, then working your way down.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

However, IMO, every Chronarch after the D-series is junk. Anything Chronarch D or older is good. If you want the same quality of the Chronarch D, it comes in a new package with a new name....It's called the Core. They are nothing more than a re-painted D with a different name on the side. Everything is EXACTLY the same.

So, if you want to get that good quality, you're gonna pay for it. No longer let the Chronarch name fool you. As a long time customer, I feel that Shimano is doing a great injustice to its patrons by shoveling out sub-par reels under a name synonymous with quality (Chronarch).

So, if you want the same quality of the Chronarchs you've been used to all these years, you're gonna have to step up to the Core or higher priced reels.
    1, Have you used the CI4+? I like it better than my core for what I use it for. I do agree that the Chronarch E was a dumb move by Shimano though.

2, A Core is made of magnesium and the D was made of aluminum. Other than the same form factor, how are these reels remotely the same? I also beleive the gear was brass in the D and aluminum in all but the 100MGFV and 100MG7.

Adam

1, Have you used the CI4+? I like it better than my core for what I use it for. I do agree that the Chronarch E was a dumb move by Shimano though.

2, A Core is made of magnesium and the D was made of aluminum. Other than the same form factor, how are these reels remotely the same? I also beleive the gear was brass in the D and aluminum in all but the 100MGFV and 100MG7.

Adam

How dare you input facts into an internet rant bashing an otherwise excellent product.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

Tackle Tour has a pretty detailed description of the history of the Chronarch, and it says exactly this, that the Core is the D series Chronarch, just with a magnesium frame. And a lot of people will tell you that the D chronarch is the very best in the series and probably one of the best reels ever made. I, for one, am on the fence about the ci4 Chronarch. I got one for Christmas, have used it all year and am just not sold on the braking system. To me, the simpler the better. I'm replacing mine with a G series Citica, for now. Thinking of selling my ci4.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast