Thread: Mountain Dew

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    If the Mt Dew doesnt save the fish you could always consider the fish as being brined..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

2. Member
    I hooked a bass pretty bad one day while fun fishing. Thought I would try the old citrus soda trick to help him out. All I had was some 7-up with little Segrams 7 mixed in it with me. Pour a little of it down his gullet. Not sure if it stopped the bleeding or just slowed it down. The next three stops I made to fish, that dang fish would come to the side of the boat with its mouth open....

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The NHBassmaster View Post
    100% works. Anything with citric acid, but Mtn Dew happened to be right by the register so that's what I got. Keep a bottle in one of the back compartments just for bleeders. TIP: Hold the fish over the gunnel and dump in the Mtn Dew. Had a co-angler make a huge mess dumping it all over the back deck.
    should of made him lick it up
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

I always keep a bottle of Mt Dew in the boat for that very reason. I have seen it stop the bleeding. Does it work in the long run? I don't know.
    Personally I don't drink it, so I don't know about those other properties.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

Quote Originally Posted by bassseeker View Post
    Hey guys, I've heard that some fishermen use Mountain Dew in order to stop a fish from bleeding, any truth to this ?
    Every tournament I have a bottle of it just for that purpose, works wonders. In fact, sometimes I even pour a half bottle in the live well, very lively fish at weigh in.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Quote Originally Posted by goaltender8 View Post
    It's BS. I did a talk about this for our bass club and did a ton of research. Check out Bass Resource, they have multiple articles on it. The reason why it looks like it works as fishes blood coagulates in water, just a humans does in air. Pour anything liquid on a fish wound and it will appear to heal.

The other wife's tale is about leaving the hook in and it'll rust away. It will not rust away! Although there is SOME truth to leaving the hook in. If deeply imbedded - leave the hook in and cut it down as short as possible. You will do more harm to the fish removing it than leaving it in. The fish's body will reject the foreign object and slowly push it out. Just like when we get a sliver under the skin. After a few days the human body will push it to the surface of the skin.
    ...I might be in the minority but I agree 100%

7. Member
    It has not been determined whether the citrus acid or the carbonization is the agent that slows the bleeding. I believe some biologists in Canada are doing research on this currently. The problem with it is that it generally covers more area than what is injured and this could be causing damage to the otherwise healthy gills.

We have a new bleed kit coming out in 2019 which will be much more effective and better for the fish over all.

Quote Originally Posted by Team V-T2 View Post
    It has not been determined whether the citrus acid or the carbonization is the agent that slows the bleeding. I believe some biologists in Canada are doing research on this currently. The problem with it is that it generally covers more area than what is injured and this could be causing damage to the otherwise healthy gills.

We have a new bleed kit coming out in 2019 which will be much more effective and better for the fish over all.
    I first want to say this is coming from someone who owns a set of V-T2 livewell vents and has nothing but positive things to say about them. I mean no disrespect when I say what I am going to say but I hope the product contains a lot of good ol plain water. A severely bleeding fish is only going to be saved by the man above. All others just throw in the livewell and they will stop bleeding very shortly thereafter. After monitoring them for 30 minutes or so they are ready to release. Getting them back in water as soon as possible is what I have found to work the best. As I said in reply #46 I know I am in the minority but I do respect other peoples opinions on the subject.

I’ve always read the the Dew was the product to use to stop bleeding. But, my tournament partner uses Coke and it also works great. Perhaps it’s the carbonation or perhaps any cold liquid would cause the blood vessels to contract, stopping the bleeding.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I first want to say this is coming from someone who owns a set of V-T2 livewell vents and has nothing but positive things to say about them. I mean no disrespect when I say what I am going to say but I hope the product contains a lot of good ol plain water. A severely bleeding fish is only going to be saved by the man above. All others just throw in the livewell and they will stop bleeding very shortly thereafter. After monitoring them for 30 minutes or so they are ready to release. Getting them back in water as soon as possible is what I have found to work the best. As I said in reply #46 I know I am in the minority but I do respect other peoples opinions on the subject.
    My stance has always been to get the fish back into water quickly as possible and yes this will slow the bleeding. IT is the best thing you can do overall.

However, anglers are now looking to manage this by either using soft drinks or additives. Gills are highly sophisticated structures. They have to be to extract dissolved oxygen from water which has a low solubility of oxygen compared to our atmosphere. Gills are very thin and are mostly a single-celled membrane. The acid and carbonization of the drinks can damage the entire gill structure and will cause further problems for the fish which will lead to long term damage of the gills and decrease survivability.

The American Medical Association's oath is "First do no harm". And we as anglers need to follow the same motto. Too often we look for "tricks" instead of to solutions based on what is scientifically proven to be beneficial.

So, that is why we developed a Bleed Kit. If anglers have the willingness to treat then we believe that they should have a product that will help and also do no further harm.

Look for it early 2019.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Cornmeal and hot grease will also cure this..
    funny

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123