Thread: Mountain Dew

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was skeptical originally but used it in a tournament this year and it worked great.

2. Member
    It's BS. I did a talk about this for our bass club and did a ton of research. Check out Bass Resource, they have multiple articles on it. The reason why it looks like it works as fishes blood coagulates in water, just a humans does in air. Pour anything liquid on a fish wound and it will appear to heal.

The other wife's tale is about leaving the hook in and it'll rust away. It will not rust away! Although there is SOME truth to leaving the hook in. If deeply imbedded - leave the hook in and cut it down as short as possible. You will do more harm to the fish removing it than leaving it in. The fish's body will reject the foreign object and slowly push it out. Just like when we get a sliver under the skin. After a few days the human body will push it to the surface of the skin.
    Michael J. Koenig

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goaltender8 View Post
    It's BS. I did a talk about this for our bass club and did a ton of research. Check out Bass Resource, they have multiple articles on it. The reason why it looks like it works as fishes blood coagulates in water, just a humans does in air. Pour anything liquid on a fish wound and it will appear to heal.

The other wife's tale is about leaving the hook in and it'll rust away. It will not rust away! Although there is SOME truth to leaving the hook in. If deeply imbedded - leave the hook in and cut it down as short as possible. You will do more harm to the fish removing it than leaving it in. The fish's body will reject the foreign object and slowly push it out. Just like when we get a sliver under the skin. After a few days the human body will push it to the surface of the skin.
    What? You mean everything we read on the internet isn't true?
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

4. Member
    Have used it many different times over the years, it works.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blckshp55 View Post
    my brother says mt dew prevents pregnancy..........something about reducing sprem potency??................my niece says it didn't work!

Yeah, doesn’t work.

i drank a ton of Mountain Dew. Both my boys were made the first time we tried 🤣

6. Member
    yes citric acid does it
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Never tried the new with bleeders but I did use it once on 5 in the livewell going belly up one fall on me . We had g juice already in the livewell and it was doing no good . 5 minutes after the dew was poured in they were all 5 down in the bottom of the well and lively as could be . I think one even had a mullet.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Didn’t work, gator said to throw him back in cause he wasn’t finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    Jbruno, all putting back in lake does rinse blood off, they still bleed out and die
    Mountain Dew rinses the blood off too. Unless you've followed one around after letting it go it's tough to say what happens to either of them. My guess is that some live and some die in either case.

10. Member
    Don't know about the long term survival of the fish but it makes me feel a little better to see it stop bleeding and be lively at weigh in.

11. Member
    Been doing it for years.

12. Member
    You could always run the fish to the nearest vet.

13. Banned
    I have a completely staffed on board fish operating room ready at all times! With a 100% survival rate!

14. T Dub
    Check the expiration date on the Mountain Dew.....

15. Member
    longtime user 100% believer But even though rare some injuries are terminal. Dont know about long term but have not lost a bleeder in tourn for several years

As has been said, the citric acid is the ingredient that does it. It works by "cooking" the wound closed, exactly how ceviche is made - you could make ceviche with Mountain Dew too if you really wanted. Is cooking the fish's gills when you dump the stuff over them as well as the wound better than the fish bleeding? Can't say for sure...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

17. Member
    Had that happen to me once only the Gator was a Musky. A whole truck full of Mt Dew would not have saved him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Didn’t work, gator said to throw him back in cause he wasn’t finished.

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    Had that happen to me once only the Gator was a Musky. A whole truck full of Mt Dew would not have saved him.
    This little dude was actually good to go. He hit a white chatterbait about 10’ off that weedline behind me in the pic and fought really hard for a tiny chunk. I saw his skin moving in the water and I could push it back up with my finger and all you could see were holes. I’d imagine he got bit not long before I caught him as it looked VERY new.

He swam away as if he was 100% healthy. Sometimes I wonder how much nature fixes itself and how much them sitting in a livewell all day beats them up?

I know I can’t answer any question about a bass’ life with any amount of certainty when that little dude was eating within hours of being Gator bait!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by blckshp55 View Post
    my brother says mt dew prevents pregnancy..........something about reducing sprem potency??................my niece says it didn't work!
    NICE!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Always carry a couple of cans of 7up or Sprite in the cooler for just that reason. Works good!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast