Exclamation changing minn kota fortrex shaft length

I have a 52" shaft minn kota fortrex. I made the mistake of buying that size before i found out how shallow I like to fish and how much i love fishing in Florida haha..Ive been told that you can have the shaft cut down to a 45" but I dont know who I would have to contact to do it. I was just curious if anyone has had theirs cut down or if anyone has done it themselves because i wouldnt think there would be a whole lot to it. Any info on doing it yourself or who i should contact would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Member
    A 45" shaft will not lay properly on the "long" 52/62" mount. You cannot cut the shaft either - would have to replace the shaft
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    How old is ur trolling motor? I made the mistake when I got a 45 inch fortrex.....the opposite problem. I'm from the north and a longer shafts would be better suited in rough water.....

4. Member
    really? I was told by a minn kota rep that the mounts were the same and that you can get a certified minn kota dealer to cut the shaft down? You dont do trades on trolling motors by any chance do you? haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    A 45" shaft will not lay properly on the "long" 52/62" mount. You cannot cut the shaft either - would have to replace the shaft

5. Member
    I PMed you stratos3317
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos3317 View Post
    How old is ur trolling motor? I made the mistake when I got a 45 inch fortrex.....the opposite problem. I'm from the north and a longer shafts would be better suited in rough water.....