Winter Care for Mercury Optimax

I just recently purchased a 2000 mercury optimax 150hp. This is my first boat and with the winter season approaching I am wondering what I need to be prepared to do to properly take care and store my boat. I am currently living in South Carolina so it does get cold enough to freeze. So really what I am wondering is what I need to do to ensure I prevent any freezing of water in my engine. I am keeping my boat outside and want to prevent any problems. Insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lower the engine all the way and let it drain, bring her back up and your good to go. Be sure and run Quickleen additive in your fuel and you shouldn't have a problem.
    I will say..........If I lived that far south, my boat wouldn't sit very long, maybe even not long enough to freeze water.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmike59 View Post
    Lower the engine all the way and let it drain, bring her back up and your good to go. Be sure and run Quickleen additive in your fuel and you shouldn't have a problem.
    I will say..........If I lived that far south, my boat wouldn't sit very long, maybe even not long enough to freeze water.
    ^^^^^Ditto that. Only thing I do different is leave the motor down after draining at water's edge on the ramp. I never "winterize" as my fishing season runs from now through Mar/April and here in NE WA that means I'm frequently out in below freezing temps (the colder the better IMO). Started a tradition several years ago and now spend New Year's Day on the water. Great fishing and no competition, ah, life is good!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmike59 View Post
    Lower the engine all the way and let it drain, bring her back up and your good to go.
    NO, you leave it DOWN during the winter. You don't want rain or snow (it will melt) to accumulate that will freeze, and it allows it to continue to drain. If you don't, then that's when people end up with busted gearcases. Even down further south its a problem but maybe not in Florida (very south)

6. Banned
    Now Phil I envy you - I don't brave the cold anymore, don't like extreme heat anymore either

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Dude View Post
    NO, you leave it DOWN during the winter. You don't want rain or snow (it will melt) to accumulate that will freeze, and it allows it to continue to drain. If you don't, then that's when people end up with busted gearcases. Even down further south its a problem but maybe not in Florida (very south)
    +100

In addition, as temperatures swing, METAL surfaces "sweat" (and this moisture can gather in housings, resulting in freeze damage, if the engine is not parked in the DOWN position).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor