Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mercury OptiMax 3.0L DFI Air Compressor

I have a 2008 250 pro xs and have been reading about compressor failure. Any reason why I would need to replace a 2008.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Only if the compressor has failed (or is failing)....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I have a friend thats running my old 1999 225 Optimax, with the ORIGINAL air compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I have a friend thats running my old 1999 225 Optimax, with the ORIGINAL air compressor.
    They don't make em like they use too

5. Member
    Thanks

6. Member
    Hi Don,

What is the typical reason for failure and what can we do as owners to try avoid compressor failure?

7. Member
    Overheating from a restricted cooling supply. Maintenance is here Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines in the commonly asked questions
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-23-2018 at 11:00 AM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Overheating from a restricted cooling supply. Maintenance is here Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines in the commonly asked questions
    +1

Monitor (and properly MAINTAIN) your engine's cooling system by replacing water pump ANNUALLY, keep the air compressor strainer CLEAN, monitor temps and water pressure via a Smartcraft Instrument, and ensure that a telltale stream is present at each engine startup.

Also, keep engine in CLEAN water. If you must enter shallows/murky water, raise the engine up, and drop the trolling motor in to navigate. This helps to avoid dragging low water inlets across the bottom (or the troublesome "stump-bump" syndrome).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-23-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I got a 99 200 opti and I'm on the lake usually 3 times a week year round still got the original compressor. Knock on wood lol

10. Member
    I have went through 3 compressors with 2 different 250 ProXS motors. First two were on an 07. And now on my 2013. It has 131hrs on it and it went. Begin surging at WOT and dealers told me the compressor was weak and was going to go. I always run 20+ lbs of water pressure at WOT and hardly run more than 5000rpm. NO REASON FOR THESE THINGS TO BE GOING AS MUCH! Not happy with merc right now.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    I have went through 3 compressors with 2 different 250 ProXS motors. First two were on an 07. And now on my 2013. It has 131hrs on it and it went. Begin surging at WOT and dealers told me the compressor was weak and was going to go. I always run 20+ lbs of water pressure at WOT and hardly run more than 5000rpm. NO REASON FOR THESE THINGS TO BE GOING AS MUCH! Not happy with merc right now.
    Where (what state) is Thunder Bay located in?

Does this boat sit for 45+ days at any point throughout the year?

12. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

Monitor (and properly MAINTAIN) your engine's cooling system by replacing water pump ANNUALLY, keep the air compressor strainer CLEAN, monitor temps and water pressure via a Smartcraft Instrument, and ensure that a telltale stream is present at each engine startup.

Also, keep engine in CLEAN water. If you must enter shallows/murky water, raise the engine up, and drop the trolling motor in to navigate. This helps to avoid dragging low water inlets across the bottom (or the troublesome "stump-bump" syndrome).
    Don is it possible to flush the air compressor strainer with some sort of positive effect between cleanings? Back-flowing water through it should clear any debris through the lower unit, right?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not necessarily- and you certainly wouldn't want to force debris already (by intentional design) trapped in the strainer into OTHER portions of the cooling system (thermostats, poppet, block or adapter plate passages, or the water pump).

14. Member
    Thunder Bay is in Ontario, Canada. Yes boat sits for sometimes 200+ days due to our stupidly long winters. Last year we had ice on the lakes from Oct. 28th until May 17th. I have always had the boat properly stored and Winterized by a merc dealer. Always run the quickleen and what not as well.

15. Member
    UPDATE! Dealer replaced air compressor today and apparently the motor's fuel pressure is still not coming up. I was told they "think" it needs a fuel rail. I love the fact that they "think" this is what it needs... Unbelieveable. Bill is already getting close to $5,000 because of their guesswork... Merc's warranty department is going to love this.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Thunder Bay is in Ontario, Canada. Yes boat sits for sometimes 200+ days due to our stupidly long winters. Last year we had ice on the lakes from Oct. 28th until May 17th. I have always had the boat properly stored and Winterized by a merc dealer. Always run the quickleen and what not as well.
    Hopefully your dealer will be able to determine the fuel pressure problems soon (verify adequate fuel in the VST, test LOW pressure fuel pressure at the back of the VST, verify ADEQUATE air pressure, and then confirm high fuel pressure). If all pressures EXCEPT for high-pressure fuel are correct, the high-pressure fuel pump has likely failed (there WILL still be a pressure reading while cranking... it's actually AIR pressure that's being read, however- leaching across the system).

In regards to your compressor and "sitting"- be sure to read the following link, and the recommendations for the air compressor:

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...x-engines.html

17. Member
    The AC on my engine catastrophically failed yesterday while underway at 5k rpm.
    2010 Optimax 200HP Pro XS
    Engine S/N 1B805434
    Compressor # 828123C8
    Bottom end of compressor came apart, looks either the wrist pin or rod bearing went first. Lower part of piston is trash, but top half is unmanaged. Opened up the top of the cylinder and piston crown as well as chamber is perfectly clean, no debris whatsoever. Normal amount of lubricaning oil present.
    Am I correct in assuming that no foreign material or debris could have traveled to the air injectors and air manifolds??
    If so, I am planning on replacing the compressor oil drain hoses and filters, and then determining what caused the failure of the compressor lower end..
    I would appreciate opinions and/or advice on my plan..
    Thanks very much.
    Tom

18. Member
    I would NOT take any chances on scattering the big motor.......I would have the rails and injectors serviced.

19. Member
    All of the debris went somewhere, as savage said I wouldn't take a chance. After you get your inline filters off, blow them out opposite direction of flow onto a white paper towel. Put a magnet on the stuff you blow out, willing to bet there will be metal in those filters.

20. Member
    Link from the FAQ Section (Look There FIRST): Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-23-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast