Northeast--best place to sell a multispecies boat?

Im looking at trading into a different boat this winter, which means selling my lund. I'd list it hear, but Im not sure this is where a boat like that gets much attention. I know about the various walleye and musky websites, but those are very northern-midwest centered and dont seem to get much attention outside of that region. To those of you in New England or the mid atlantic, apart from the obvious (craigslist) where do you think are the best places to list a boat like this?

2. Banned
    Craigslist Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Erie, Sandusky. That will cover the entire southern shoreline of Lake Ontario and Lake Erie where used aluminum multi-species rigs are highly sought after and usually get top dollar.

Otherise, walleye cental and NYBASS would be good options.

3. Multi-Species Boats/Ontario Club Moderator
    You could always try QuinteFishing.com as well... Where about's are you located?

4. Member
    Im in northwest Vermont, its gotta be about 6-7 or more hours east of there...but I'll bite, whats the deal with selling a boat from the US into Canada? I assume its possible, is it a hassle, what goes into it?

5. Multi-Species Boats/Ontario Club Moderator
    We buy boats in the States all the time, most of the hassle is on our end... Basically the buyer shows up with the money, cash and/or a certified bank draft and away we go with the boat lol

6. Member
    interesting. Does the bank note specify US funds? Or do you figure an exchange rate?

I've sold a boat to a Canadian...it was easy. I set my price in US $$ that way the canadian buyer bares all the exchange rate risk. My Canadian buyer met my price and they sent the check. I wrote him a bill of sale, got the trailer certification Canada required and got the title and lien release and his shipper came to my house and picked up the boat. He met the shipper on the US side of the border and drug it across himself. Canadians have to pay an ass load of tax at the border...PST and GST is 13% I believe. I was able to keep my asking price by writing him a bill of sale for considerably less money than what he paid...that way he did not have to pay all the tax on all those dollars. Bare in mind, you can't right a $5,000 Bill of Sale for a $30,000 boat, but you could get away with $20,000...which saves the buyer $1300 in tax at the boarder...and might keep you from getting chiseled down by a heartless, penny pinching Cannuck.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    Im looking at trading into a different boat this winter, which means selling my lund. I'd list it hear, but Im not sure this is where a boat like that gets much attention. I know about the various walleye and musky websites, but those are very northern-midwest centered and dont seem to get much attention outside of that region. To those of you in New England or the mid atlantic, apart from the obvious (craigslist) where do you think are the best places to list a boat like this?
    Are you buying another Lund? I live in the North Shore in Ma. I wanted to trade my 1999 Lund Alaskan SS20 with a 2003 Mercury stroke on a new Lund. Dealers in MA , NH and VT. offered $5000. Got on the internet and called up dealers in Ohio and Mn. I was offered $7500 for the boat unseen. Purchased a new Lund from Bud's Marine in Ohio. Really great deal. Only draw back was a 600 mile trip to Ohio. For me it was worth it. Tried Craig's list no calls at all. Mind you though, this was back in 2011. I have a NH Lund dealer who honors my warranty. He asked why I didn't buy from him and I told him point blank, his deal for a new Lund was way off. You may have better luck than I did. Good luck.

9. Member
    Thanks guys--I got one PM yesterday about this asking if my boat was still available, I ended up selling my boat last september. I had the same experience as another, local dealers either werent inteested in buying my boat at all (they wanted me to consign it with them and give them a 10-20% commission) or they very much lowballed me. They gotta make money somehow, so I dont blame them. When I looked at how they were advertising and listing boats it was clear I could do just as good a job, if not better. Took a bunch of good, clear in-focus pictures, I did a walk-through video, and put a good ad together and listed it on 3 different craigslists. For whatever reason there just dont seem to be many people shopping for boats in the northeast--I got MUCH more interest from the upper midwest and pennsylvania, and looking at the number of boats for sale there its clear that fishing and boating is just a much more normal part of more peoples lives in those areas than it is in much of New England...go figure. I ended up selling it from the Buffalo, NY craigslist in 2 weeks for very close to my asking price, the guy drove 11 hours each way to get it and after a water test paid cash on the spot--I had it listed right at avg blue book plus about 80% of the new-value of the electronics and trolling motor which were only a year old. I did have several people interested who bailed when they learned it was a 2-stroke engine, for that crowd a 4-stroke was clearly a major plus.
    I also paid to list my boat on one of the more popular musky/walleye web forums, but likely due to the fact that it is SO Midwest-focused I never even got a single response to my ad from there.

oh, and I bought a 19' Basscat, decided the lund layout wasnt what I wanted. I drove 14 hours each way to get it, would have liked to find somthing more local but the local pickins were VERY slim. I would have loved a 2010 predator, but that was the only Lund I could have been happy with and those were way out of my price range, and at that size boat I wanted glass.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 02-24-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Congrats,!! yep, upper midwest /great lakes guys prefer that type of boat. , not sure why being it gets real rough/windy,my preference is a v pad CC, I fish ogdensburg NY ,lake Ont., and pass alot of lunds/crestliners on both sides of the river. Old Aluminum Starcrafts are very popular as well.
    Last edited by cajunrgfm; 02-24-2015 at 02:03 PM.