Thread: Trailer failure

Trailer failure

I'm in two minds making this post because I don't want to discourage people from owning a Phoenix but this is an issue you might all want to check for.

Can anyone spot the problem in the picture? Ignore the lines, I'll get to them in a sec

The bow-roller has collapsed forward because the metal sheared along the blue line on both sides. The boat is resting part-ways on the roller and the bow hook.

The problem, other than the obvious, is that I'm in South Africa so there's no dealership's door that I can knock on. My solution is to have two steel plates fabricated that will bolt to either side of the hitch-frame to make a new mount for the roller. For this I need the normal!!! lengths of the red lines in the picture. Can anyone help?

FYI. It's a 618 dual-axle trailer. And no, I have never hammered the trailer through rutted roads. And I have never powerloaded. This seems to be an isolated manufacturing defect.
    Last edited by Toadee; 08-17-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Anyone with measurements? Pretty please.

I will get your measurements for you but PLZ contact Marine Master, Phoenix and the dealer you purchased through.

Unless you want to fix this yourself, Marine Master will likely work with the nearest weld/fab shop to handle the repair under warranty.

As for the problem, is the steel torn next to the weld or did the weld fail?

4. Member
    How did this happen ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernerbass99 View Post
    How did this happen ?
    No idea! I noticed, when getting the boat back on the trailer Saturday, that the winch handle was knocking against the bow roller.

Ray: the metal is jagged and broken off right next to the weld.

Sent you an IM Grant.

7. Member
    My setup on my trailer for my 920 looks alot different
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

8. Member
    I realise this is a quite old thread....but my 2011 trailer had same issue, but the bends actually completely sheared on both sides. Currently trying to get assistance from Marine Master with a replacement bracket that I will have welded in place after removing horizontal base that is still intact on the winch stand. See pics.

Really wanted to find out the outcome of getting your trailer fixed.

Thanks in advance for your response. I will post update on my issue as soon as I get resolution.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d70.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d71.jpg
    2011 Phoenix 921 Pro XP
    2011 Mercury 250 Pro XS

9. Member
    I had the same problem 2 yrs ago and after having a couple different quick fix welds on existing bracket I finally had enough and just ended up going to my local trailer guy and having him fabricate and weld up a new bracket with gussets, believe he used 1/4" steel and built to the same dimensions of the original set-up. No more issues. PM me your number if you want pics

10. Member
    Thanks for the response! rakkc I sent you a PM for those pictures.

I really appreciate your time and attention.

P.S. Here is the rig that I put in place to get my 921 Pro back home (over 200 mile drive)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d6f.jpg
    2011 Phoenix 921 Pro XP
    2011 Mercury 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    I sent you an IM