Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Down a little on performance, engine runs fine? INSPECT YOUR STRIKER PLATES!

Just a little reminder about one those components SELDOM thought about:

STRIKER PLATES.

While working on a customer's motor last week, I noticed extreme wear to the striker plates. Removed them- noticed they were FRACTURED where the striker plate meets the stud.

Ok... simple enough (wrong). Head to the shelf...and we had just sold out of them.

Thinking about it for a few minutes- I realize I've got two of my own engines (each with 400-500 hours on them) hanging on stands- and can "borrow" a set temporarily.

Guess what.... ALL THREE sets were worn similarly, and ALL THREE SETS are fractured at the stud.

This often occurs due to lack of proper lubrication at the trim-ram end "balls"... these should be lubricated regularly to ensure they roll and move freely.

So the moral to the story is:

-Grease your trim ram "balls" frequently

-Inspect your striker plates (at least)
    ANNUALLY

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    What will be the systems if the balls are stuck or worn?
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Initially, "creaking, or popping" as the trim is operated.

Eventually, slight loss of top end performance (if the striker plates become excessively worn, or damaged). Can account for about 1 degree of trim angle (overall)... which can "make or break" top end performance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Good To Know!

What grease do you recommend that will stay on there?
    Last edited by flatsboy; 08-18-2014 at 08:28 AM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Special Lube 101 (or Mercury's newer High-Pressure Grease) are best.

2-4-C is suitable also... especially if utilized "regularly".

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Special Lube 101 (or Mercury's newer High-Pressure Grease) are best.
    Is that the green stuff that doesn't come off anything!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm actually borderline color-blind in the blue/green category. Pretty sure it's Not green... but yes, it will linger for a LONG time.

8. Member
    That's the nasty stuff!

9. Member
    Special lube 101 is a light "greenish" color. Used it to lube some door strikers on a '58 Fairlane convertible a couple days ago, wanted to ensure it didn't wash off after customer took his car home.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Don, my 200 Opti is squealing loudly when I am trimming down. It sounds normal when in the tilt range and when the motor is being trimmed up. I've checked the fluid per the manual and it is fine. I now have the balls greased well and they move easily but they were dry and would not move when I first got this boat home. I did not think about checking the striker plates. Could they be causing that squeal?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    Squeal no. Popping or creaking, yes.

12. Member
    mine is quite noisy when I trim all the way down in the garage. don't now what the striker plates are.... clue? how bout a pic.?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Squeal no. Popping or creaking, yes.
    +1

You can lookup the striker plates (for your specific Engine Serial Number) under the Swivel Bracket parts section, on our website at:

European Marine- Parts Department

Here's an example- see item #11 (image copyright Mercury Marine- used with permission):

strikerplate.jpg
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-21-2014 at 04:38 AM.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Seasonal Reminder- Make sure you are INSPECTING the striker plates as you go through your Annual Maintenance, Torquing Engine Mounting Hardware and Steering Fasteners, etc.

There are SEVERAL that have posts running currently that may find help with a pair of these very simple little devices!

15. Member
    Would these striker plates cause you to lose holeshot?

16. Member
    No, top speed.

17. Member
    Is there a grease zert for this or just dab some grease on it?

18. Member
    No fitting, use your fingers.

19. Member
    Any pictures for those of us who have no idea what a striker plate is

20. Member
    With the motor trimmed up:

Look at the trim system for the Two chrome trim rods that have balls on the ends....lube there.

Now look at where those two rods would make contact,with the other side, as the motor is trimmed down.....that is the Striker plate....lube the pocket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast