more weight up front

Do any of you Blazer owners feel there's not enough weight up front when heading into fairly large waves? Like you could possibly even flip the boat! I have a 2006 190 pro-v and sometimes wish my 2 trolling motor batteries were up front. Right now in the rear compartment I have 3 batteries, two 22 gal. fuel tanks, the jack plate reservoir and a Stealth battery charger. On the transom is a 200 e-tec that weighs 417 pounds, (the lightest motor I could find). With livewells full, even more weight is toward the rear. Do I need to add some "dead" weight up front like bricks encased in padding, or water softener salt. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Member

Re: more weight up front (ydna)

I have never felt anything different on Blazer that any other boat going into waves. Are you trimming down??

3. Member

Re: more weight up front (GE Blazer)

Yes, I am trimming down, as much as possible without spearing a wave. Guess I just have to be careful on these big prairie reservoir waves.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ydna View Post
    Yes, I am trimming down, as much as possible without spearing a wave. Guess I just have to be careful on these big prairie reservoir waves.
    Responses are still appreciated, even though this post is 10 years old. I now have an even heavier engine, an E-tec H.O. that is 504 pounds, on the same boat.

5. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    The only other thing you could do is go to a smaller jackplate, but I doubt it would matter a lot. A 190 IMO is not a good big water boat.

6. Member
    I'd have to agree with Rebel1. If you are consistently planning to (or have to) run bigger water you should really consider going to a 20' boat minimum as even from 20' to 21' there is a difference.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

7. Banned
    My 202 sucked in big water with a 500 pound optimax on the back. The rub rail literally went under water when I stood on back deck. I moved a battery up front. Still sucked. I went to a 225 pro max at 375 pounds, VASTLY improved ride and handling of that boat.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    The only other thing you could do is go to a smaller jackplate, but I doubt it would matter a lot. A 190 IMO is not a good big water boat.
    Thanks, Rebel1 and others. I actually had to get a new jackplate recently and went from an 8" setback to 10" and the ride seems about the same, although I have not tested it extensively. Maybe I'll get a bigger boat someday, but keep this one for going up narrower river chutes and shallow water.

IMO, on the 190, it's not just the length that makes it not so great a rough water boat, it's the hull. It tends to "slap" the water when in 2-3' rollers. It's better when trimmed down, but still not great. It's just the nature of the beast. Other than that, it's a fine boat for "normal" conditions.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80