Chine Walk with 202

Alright,
    Its finally starting to get on my nerves. Ive had the boat about 10 months or so, and figured I didnt need to go over about 65 or so, but now it just annoys me. Somewhere between 62-65 the boat starts to walk pretty bad. Ive tried to drive though it, but cant seem to figure it out. Before I bought it, the guy I got it from took me for a ride and tried to show me, he got it up to 73 with 3 guys in it, and he just kinda jerked the wheel when it would start and it would then stop???? Any helpful hints, is there a trick to this? I have a mercury 225 EFI, and I think a 10 inch jackplate, ill have to measure when I get home. I appreciate the help!!

TEAM TEXAS

Team Blazer 202 / Mercury 225 EFI

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar

Re: Chine Walk with 202 (Golferpimp1)

A 15 in. plate would help, but it takes seat time to learn to drive one. It looked easy with 3 people because of all the extra weight. Work on your weight in the boat, move it around till you find some extra balance. Propshaft height plays a role also, the heigher you can run your motor, the less it walk. There was a Chine walk video over on the Triton board, see if it is still up and watch it, you might pick up some pointers.

3. Louisiana Bass Club Moderator
    I agree with Rebel,but also fill your livewells and that should help.You may want to also make sure your prop is tuned up by your local prop shop. All the little things make a difference, but the best advise i can give you is to spend a little more time behind the wheel.
    JOHN202
    BLAZER 202 - DC
    250 HPDI

4. Member

Re: (JOHN202)

When it starts to walk, just make small corrections with the wheel to the left. One thing to look at is you propshaft height. If you are too low it will cause excessive walk

5. Member

Marcus, what will you take for 'er! just kidding ,but foreal there right it just takes time.

6. Moderator

Re: Chine Walk with 202 (Porkfrog)

And, when you make the small correction to the left, make sure you don't negate that with a quick correction to the right. If you do, there's not much to do but trim it back down.

Don't try to run it up all at once also. Get on plane where you are comfortable. Run it up to 60, then bump your trim. Drive it there for a minute or two. Then bump your trim. Drive it there for a minute or two. Bump your trim. When you bump it one time and it starts walking, back it back down one bump and get it steady. Now, you know when you bump it back up it's going to walk, so you are expecting it and will be more in tune with trying to control it. It will be easier to learn this way than just hammering down, trimming it all the way up and trying to drive it. You'll notice that each time you do this, you'll be able to trim it a little farther each time.

Also, as was mentioned, weight plays a huge role in how a boat handles. I've got a high 70's barge, but if I get the weight out of whack, it will walk. I know this because I was fishing a tournament a couple of weeks ago and my partner put fish in the drivers side well and that was the only one that had water. We didn't fill the passenger well up. When we took off to run I could have sworn we were in his Triton.
    Jason Phillips

7. "That dude" at the ramp colreb2000's Avatar

Re: Chine Walk with 202 (1niceStratos)

Now Jason, all the boats can't be Blazers and Stratos'

8. Member

i had the same prob best thing to do that helped me was spend some time rideing with someone that can drive the boat this how i found out i was over driveing my boat makeing it chinewalk more than if not bumping the wheel at all goog luck i no what u going tru

Re: Chine Walk with 202 (marbledog)

Seat time
    Fear-This
    2000 202 pro v / 04 250 Hpdi 27 T1 Work
    15" Rapid jack 1 1/2 inch below Pad
    Tourney Loaded Wot 80.6 gps
    Light 83.9 gps

10. Member

hey golferpimp just wanted to no did u ever get the hang of driving the chine