Mercury xri 200 stumping me.

This is my first post to the thread although I have used the information provided for troubleshooting in the past on other motors.

I own own a shop in Ky, not a dealership but over 50 years experience between our mechanics.

Heres the situation:

2 years ago I rebuilt a customers xri 200. Motor ran great for a year and half. Then customer got an alarm for no oil. He asked us to look at it but we are/were 3-5 weeks out. So in turn he took his boat to another shop, supposedly they couldn't figure out why the alarm was present. After 5 months in their shop and them messing with everything he brought his boat to me. Before even running it We discovered he striped the past drive gear for the oil pump so we disconnected the oiling system, mixed his fuel ran on hose gave it throttle and the problems occurred. Motor idled great throttled up great until 2500 rpm when it hits 3000 sounds like a rev limiter and if you continue to throttle more it just bogs doesn't die, no alarm back off and idles fine again. Took to the lake same scenario neutral or in gear.

Since then I have borrowed parts from another customers xri(willing of course)
    parts swapped included

both temp sensors
    Tps
    map sensor

as well as checked timing
    disconnect idle stablizer
    test high and low speed while cranking
    compression:135 all 6
    spark good.
    Cleaned grounds
    cleaned fuel filter above vst

I don't know if the other shop screwed something up or what.
    I have the merc DDT but of course it doesn't allow you to do as much as smart craft motors do.

Any by help would be greatly accepted

thank you in advance.

2. Member
    Have you check the Switch Boxes ?????

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And confirmed DVA voltage on the HIGH SIDE of the stator, while running the engine IN GEAR, IN THE WATER?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Have you check the Switch Boxes ?????
    Yes I checked switch box output as well as tested the high speed while running but I couldn't find the specs where it should be.

I did find yesterday that the previous shop put the blk/yel wire on the blue post on the inside swirch box. After reinstalling the switch boxes the motor starts backfired and died. Starts right up backfired a couple times and died. I'm rechecking timing this morning. This motor is gonna be the death of me.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Voltage on the black w/yellow stripe wire will damage switchboxes.

You can almost certainly expect that BOTH switchboxes will require replacement (now)- regardless of whetehr or not they were previously replaced.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Voltage on the black w/yellow stripe wire will damage switchboxes.

You can almost certainly expect that BOTH switchboxes will require replacement (now)- regardless of whetehr or not they were previously replaced.
    Would that cause the motor to be wayyyy out of timing. New trigger yesterday and didn't help.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, it could result in susbtantial timing problems (as it can damage the SWITCHBOXES).

8. Member
    I replaced both switch boxes. Indexed the flywheel. Check to make sure all cylinders are hitting and it still won't start. Ever since I swapped the black/yel back to the correct stud. Fuel pressure is good doesn't backfire anymore just won't start.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    All yellow-banded harnesses (coil/trigger/stator) on the SAME switchbox?

Do you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key ON?

10. Member
    Yes and yes

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If it was backfiring, you may have broken REEDS... in which case, it may not be properly drafting fuel/air through the crankcase.

Also, clean the plugs (to ensure they're not fuel-fouled).