Thread: Transom Time

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Transom Time

So when I bought my Storm in December I only had a couple of months to get it ready for the Okeechobee Rally. When I was removing the trim tabs and filling the holes where the tabs and transducers were I noticed that there was some dampness. But at the time I did not have time to replace the transom. So with that being said now is the time

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

3. Banned
    Well I just got my SKEETER SD 80 back YESTERDAY from having the transom replaced.It looks GREAT & the fiberglass shop said the the boat along with the transom is now solid as a rock.It will be worth it for more years of service than I'll ever need it for.Good luck with it & let us see the after pics when she's done!

With the job that was done on the rest of the boat, I am sure the transom won't give you a lick of trouble!

If I can be of any help please don't hesitate to message me!

http://www.bbcboards.net/storm-boats...-repair-2.html

Not sure if you have dug this thread up, but Razor Jim really walked me through the whole job step by step. I tried to document the best I could for an instance such as this. The job is tedious but really not that bad. I think you'll do a great job! Looking forward to seeing it!

Thanks Thomas I did check it out. It looks like you did a great job I hope mine comes out that good. I will try to keep the thread up to date.

Just curious, had you hit anything or noticed any flex at all at the transom? Or was the only sign some moisture around screw holes prior to the cracking? Those transom plates on the Storms are pretty good at spreading the load across that transom and allowing it to go alot longer with a bad transom than it could without one.

It started to get some flex in it over the last month or so.

8. Member
    let me know if I can help you Ron
    22ft Storm
    300+ merc
    89.1 mph gps 29TXP 6050rpm

Well let the games begin. Got a late start today about 3:00PM but I made some progress. I finished building my motor stand removed the motor and plate then started cutting transom. I have a lot of pictures I will post some and the rest let be on my Photobucket page.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ron,

Hard for me to tell from the pictures, but that transom don't look like wood. Was it replaced before with coosa?

Have you found where the flex in the transom originated from or the cause of the structural integrity compromise? Is any of it wet between the fiberglass?

Good progress so far!

Keep it up and wear ya some long sleeves!

It was replaced before. And yes there is some water in there. When I bought the boat and was fixing all the transducer screw holes and removing the trim tabs I found some water in there then. But at the time I was trying to get it ready for the rally.

12. Member
    it looks like it might be a pour in like the one I have in the shop rite now that is broke some one fixed it about 2 yrs ago also and did a crappy job of it
    22ft Storm
    300+ merc

Yea Steve, that's what the top looks like to me too. Thought maybe a Seacast job or something similar. Seems like if someone would have went through that much trouble they would have done it the right way.

14. Member
    Steve, the boat you are referring to, had the transom done one year ago. It has only been run one time since the repair, and that was by Greg. So crappy job is a huge understatement. It was definitely not done right or meant to last. It's a shame what some people will pass off as "the last transom you will ever need".

Ok here's the latest all that crap is out now I will need to do a little clean up.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is it from the top.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

With the skin off you can see where the transom cracked in a V shape
    [IMG][/IMG]

That seems so weird to me.

I dunno whats going on there............botched repair of some sort.

Ron, did it look like the rear deck portions that you cut away had been messed with before?

Just wondering how this "repair" was performed and why it didn't last. Seems like it was pieced in there.

From the top it for sure looks like two 3/4" composites glassed together. Seems like the center had been perfectly scored in that V shape in how it broke apart.

My thoughts are they:
    Cut the transom to fit one side
    then did the other side
    then pieced the "V" section in the center last
    glassed it all together instead of make the whole transom one solid piece across.

Basically you had a big 3 piece transom, and the part that was holding your Motor wasnt really tied in well to the stringer/bulkheads.
    Last edited by thomasfouraker; 08-11-2014 at 11:28 PM.

The rear deck has been cut away before to replace the transom. I made my cuts in the same places and what I cut away was composite. Thomas I am not sure what they did but what I can tell you is I did not like it and it sure is not going back together the same way. I have never done a transom before but I do know that it didn't look rite to me.

Old storms gotta love em
    2003 storm 22 2013 merc 250 pro xs

Yea Ron, looking at it, I have no doubt that was pieced in there. It could have been because they didn't cut enough away of the rear deck to fit in a one piece transom. When I cut mine, it was very close to jamb in there between the top cap and the deck I had cut away. It took some maneuvering to get it to get into place. Very likely they cut it to fit the transom but found out they couldnt get it in so they then "pieced" it in.

So basically, the V piece that was put in last and glassed to the two side transom pieces was what was supporting your motor. Aggravating to see a repair done in such a way but at least you will be making it better than new! Keep up the good work man! You're making great progress (much faster than I did!)

Anxious to see it progress!

20. Member
    yep im pretty shore the same person did them both as the one im finishing now wasn't in a v shape but was just the center between the stringers and wet wood on he out side
    22ft Storm
    300+ merc

21. Member
    Ron you should get in touch with Largemouthlou to do some powder coating on the aluminum bracket and drain covers. He did mine with a black light textured and they look amazing! They don't chip, easy to clean and sun hasn't phased them a bit. Does hot foots and rests for Strokers and Bullets. Believe he still has an advertisement on BBC the company name is LSD plasma cutting and powder coating check it. Stand up guy and treats each piece like it was for his boat! I got his number if you need.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast