Thread: Transom Time

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    • Thanks for the input Jim. I have referred to Thomas's pictures several times. Steve (Storm 22) has also helped me with this little adventure as well. Hopefully it will be over soon and I can get back to the lake.

Oh and by the way what should I use for a thickener?

CHOPPED GLASS chopped glass, +/-1/4", coarse high strength filler which increases tensile strength

COTTON FLOCK no fiberglass irritation, increases tensile strength. but, not as much as fiberglass

FUMED SILICA thickens with little change to cured properties, thixotropic means the thix is constant when static; when agitated it becomes thinner for several minutes, then it returns to its original thix, great for spraying on vertical surfaces

MICROBALLOONS small phenolic hollow spheres, adds sandability, reduces weight, makes smooth putty (no glass irritation)

MICROSPHERES small glass hollow spheres, adds sandability, reduces weight, makes smooth putty

MILLED FIBERS fiberglass, heavy powder, increases tensile strength, makes strong coarse putty

TALC most commonly used filler in body putty, adds sandability and super smoothness, will absorb water

WALNUT SHELLS makes good strength brown filler, can be used as wood putty, makes excellent light duty nonskid

Last edited by SuperBee; 09-18-2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Incorrect link

Tampon !! Lol couldn't help my self Ron
    2003 Storm 22 2013 Merc 250 pro xs

3. Member
    Ron Believe it or not, I used good ole baby powder to make resin putty. Apply the resin putty like you would joint compound by using a putty knife. Most of the our repair work was done using boat yard resin. To get smooth edges on your biaxel, take 1/2 oz chopped mat and cut in 6" wide strips. Then pinch off the edges all the way around the full length of the strip so there is no defined cut edges. After applying your biaxel material and before it cures, overlap cover the edges with the 1/2 oz mat. This is called feathering the edges and cuts down on the grinding that you need to do to smooth these edges. I don't know how familiar you are with working with fiberglas and I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know. The working with new/raw fiberglas is called a chemical bond, used when laying up a bare mold. Grinding/sanding an area to apply fiberglas is called a mechanical bond, applying fiberglas onto a cured section of fiberglas. You need to break the glaze of cured fiberglas to get the correct mechanical bonding.
    Jim Lanza
    Boca Raton, Florida
    561-789-5490
    www.razorbaits.com

Jim helped me out so much with my transom, had the pleasure to speak with him a few times at great lengths and was able to gain so much knowledge about these boats. He always got back to me so fast, either by post, PM, email or phone. Before I worked on my boat, I had never even driven a boat before. Had no clue what I was doing. One of these days when I make it down South, I for sure owe him a fishing trip and a dinner.

All this restoration talk has me wanting to post pictures of my next project I have in the back yard!

Thomas thanks for all your help as well. I have used your post as reference quite a bit you do nice work. Also let's see your next project.

6. Member
    Thomas Don't be a tease!!!! Post the pictures!!!!!!! I'll take you up on the dinner but fishing is in my past. Need a shoulder replacement so I'm out of fishing for a little while.
    Jim Lanza
    Boca Raton, Florida
    561-789-5490
    www.razorbaits.com

Hopefully will get pictures up this weekend! Hate to post pictures up prematurely cause my last project took so long. I don't expect to get to within the next year. Too busy with a kid, being Mr. Mom on my days off and using the weekend to catch up on house projects

As far as the shoulder goes, can you still drive a boat?

Razor Jim has bad shoulders and can't fish, LJMax Jim has bad knees and can't use his Storm.....lesson learned, don't be named Jim and own a Storm!

Don't mean to thread hijack Ron, just keeping it up at the top for ya!

Did some more prep work today and bonded my two pieces of 3/4 together today

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Looks like it will be a solid one!

Remember when you go to glass it in to have you two 2x4 span the back to pull the transom skin tight to the new transom as you tighten up bolts through the motor holes.

Also, just something I did and by no means does it make it correct, but I overdrilled my bolt holes to 1" with a holesaw then filled those with epoxy resin and let it cure. I then REDRILLED the correct 1/2" holes through the pure epoxy. I figured if a motor bolt would happen to wiggle loose or my 5200 became compromised, no wood, only resin would get exposed to the water.

Your not done yet? smh..... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro1302 View Post
    Your not done yet? smh..... Lol

I have a damn job!

Thomas I was thinking of doing that with my bolt holes. Thanks

lol job!

13. Member
    don't let Jeffo give you a hard time it look great so far and besides he aint got no job he just sets in a truck all day lol
    22ft Storm
    300+ merc
    89.1 mph gps 29TXP 6050rpm

Just to let you know if BBC didn't suck for uploading pics I had a witty response for this lol

And Ron knows I'm just busting his balls

Ok tonight I sanded the edges of the new transom and retest fitted then marked my engine mount lower holes. Then set my jack plate on there and marked the upper holes. I drilled the holes a little over sized in order to coat the holes with resin.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

17. Member
    sweet and you know im just busting yours lol
    22ft Storm
    300+ merc
    89.1 mph gps 29TXP 6050rpm

Glass that baby in!

Are you going to roll gel coat in the transom and in the areas you fixed?

image.jpgJust sitt n on my ass with a power pole for a battle ship

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast