Well, here's my 91 Javelin 396 FS, Kevin.... lol

Bought it two weeks ago off craigslist for next to nothing. Nothing worked. Nothing electrical, the throttle and shift cables were shot, it definitely needed some TLC, but the hull is in great shape.. They could get it started, but it was a chore. It took forever to get it busted off. I know what you're thinking at this point. "That's exactly how NOT to buy a boat!" That's just me though. I'm a car guy and I won't buy anything that doesn't need work. Half the fun I have is working on stuff. So I replaced some switches, replaced the livewell and bilge pumps, throttle and shift cables, bypassed the VRO, put plugs and wires, new fuel line, primer bulb and filter on the outboard, rewired the primer solenoid to a button on the dash (key cylinder is bad), replaced the water pump impeller, serviced the lower unit, put it on muffs and it runs like a champ.

The story behind this boat is it belonged to a guy named Kevin that bought it new in 1991. In 2005 at the age of 44 he had a heart attack and didn't survive. The boat went to his father who used it some, and let his other kids and family borrow it. By about 2009 his father got a little too elderly to keep using the boat and he put it in a shed. He held on to it for sentimental reasons and finally at the age of 84 decided he should sell it. By that time it had sat for so long that some things had weathered on it. When I bought it he spent about 30-45 minutes telling me stories and all the memories he had with his son in the boat.. He sure didn't want to let it go. I think it was his sincerity and sentiment that convinced me to go ahead and buy it. I could tell that he was a sincere person letting go of something dear to him. He definitely wasn't a salesman trying to sling something by me.

So we took it out for the first time yesterday. Everything worked great. Engine fires on the first crank every time now (fuel primer solenoid was the only issue). It needs a little throttle adjustment as I wasn't getting full throttle, but it still got up to about 55ish. It has a Johnson 200 Outboard, so I know it'll scoot when dialed in. I still need to hit the gel coat with a little restorer and work on it some, as well as refinish the engine cowl. So far so good, and I'm really excited about it. The boat had the "Kevin" sticker on it when I got it, and I think I'm gonna leave it.

2. Member
    Nice find,key switches etc are not that expensive.As for leaving the name,one can get linked to it.
    I bought a boat.full of snow in a backyard many years ago,that had Bobby Oldham,Ashland Ky ky boat numbers name of LiLMule,was halfway along the boat,next side was reversed naturally.Anyway 4 hrs into removing lettering LiLMule was left so tired as I was left it every boat should have a name right,aptly named as an old trihull that plowed.Any way first T I showed up at they thought twas my name not boats,could have been far worse.
    How ya doing Kevin?
    That was about 28 years ago and remember the guys name the former owner of my first bass boat,with a livewell,14 ft thundercraft,title said 15,also how I got the nickname.
    Last edited by lilmule; 08-06-2014 at 05:18 AM.

Very Cool!!!

Leave the name!!
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    Great story -- I just bought my first boat about a month ago.. A 1996 Javelin 409 FS with a 175hp Johnson. I love it. I love how it doesn't have the high tech gauges or the chrome. I have been pouring lots of hours and sweat into it getting it the way I want it. I work from home and the first thing I want to do each morning is go out and start on a "new project" or at least learn a new lesson on boats. I purchased mine from an older gentleman on craigslist and he was only selling because he was moving and couldn't care for the boat as he had for many years. After many more hours of rubbing compound and wax, some new electronics, new trolling motor, hydraulic steering, hot foot, new stereo system, and maybe a few touch ups on the trailer and I'll have it almost complete --

Enjoy!

5. Member
    Nice

6. Member
    Nice work.....Now go take the old gentleman for a ride.....

7. Member
    Sir, I recently purchased a 1991 Javelin 389 SF. All of the writing is worn off above the switches on the Pro-Switch Console. If your's is legible, please send me a photo for reference? Thank you in advance.