Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

Added some ballast

Swapped out the cranking battery, the one that was in it was too small for electronics and pumps. It was almost too small for just the engine, she cranked really slow this morning.

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    that PM1 is a beast but it will handle all your electronics and engine requirements. It's what I've been using too. Heavier than heck though.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Yeah. They are great batteries. I had one in my Bullet and never came close to running it down. I make long runs, but when I get to where I'm going I don't run much until its time to head back to weigh-in. I might idle across to the other side of the river but other than that I don't mind grinding on a spot until they feed.

4. Member
    Yup, I hear ya on that!!!
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. RIP -April 30,2023
    I'm going to buy another cranking battery soon. Have you ran this battery before? What does it weigh. I don't want to go over 60lbs. lighter than that would be better

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Yes, I ran one on my Bullet for 3 years and my dad is running one on his 21ss.

The battery weighs 75lbs!!!

7. RIP -April 30,2023
    thats heavy.

8. Member
    Chris, with yo money you need to go Lithium......HA

9. Member
    I weighed my PM1 on a Dr.'s scale and it weighed in at 80 LB. Mine is 3 years old, maybe they put them on a diet since then. I thought about Lithium as my next cranker but I won't know what to use then as ballast. I already have a 25 LB shot bag on the port side when running solo, which i think is stupid cuz it's a fishing boat, guess I'd have to throw more tackle in there instead.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. RIP -April 30,2023
    i would like to have lithium but, the are alittle high still for me. remember, im just a mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbluebullet View Post
    Chris, with yo money you need to go Lithium......HA

11. RIP -April 30,2023
    i thought for the longest time just like you but have changed my mind. if i could save a 100lbs or so on port side with lithium batterys, i could use shot bags to make up for it. normally, i fish and play with 180 lbs of batterys and 50 extra lbs of shot. when i take someone fishing or for a ride, i have to add another battery on port side and move the 50 lbs of shot to starboard side. if i had lithium, instead of adding the extra battery to starboard side, i could just move that 100lbs of shot.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I weighed my PM1 on a Dr.'s scale and it weighed in at 80 LB. Mine is 3 years old, maybe they put them on a diet since then. I thought about Lithium as my next cranker but I won't know what to use then as ballast. I already have a 25 LB shot bag on the port side when running solo, which i think is stupid cuz it's a fishing boat, guess I'd have to throw more tackle in there instead.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I think the cranking battery regular and trolling battery lithium is perfect setup since ballast is needed solo already. Also given that Allisons being better behaved overloaded to the left makes just swapping gear from left to right with the addition of a passenger ideal....get 25 lbs of movable tackle and ditch the lead weight....Although being able to put the lead further left or further right may allow for less ballast to be added because of the small size allowing more optimal location.

Tim- been meaning to reply to this post for a few days. I have the same boat as you. 14' Bassport Pro w/ 300XS...1.62 lower. I recently replaced my cranker with the same battery. Per a post I saw some time ago from AllyFishing (Craig), I took the opportunity to move the new battery to the front of the port rear locker rather the very back. Seems to have helped my hole shot moving that 80lbs forward. I run really heavy. Don't know where yours is mounted or what lower end you are running, but worth the small amount of effort need to move it in my opinion.

What gears and what prop are you running? How is your hole shot? PM me and we can discuss set up as we have identical rigs.......I have only had it for 9 months or so, maybe not a lot I can share, but whatever I can...I will.

Awesome boat- enjoy your new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Swapped out the cranking battery, the one that was in it was too small for electronics and pumps. It was almost too small for just the engine, she cranked really slow this morning.

MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

14. Member
    I run the PM-1 for a cranking battery as well as two PM-2's for my trolling batteries. The only benefit for me is to replace the center cranking battery with lithium to lose 50 lbs. With 120 pounds of trolling batteries, I still have to move gear and add 75 pounds of shot to be balanced. I weigh 260#'s.
    With my wife in her seat and the 120#'s of trolling batteries on the port side, my boat is balanced so no need to make big changes. Something to think about before you spend big bucks on lithium. Another expense is the charger for lithium batteries. That was going to cost $2k for everything needed to lose 50#'s. My boat will already run into the 90's fully loaded so IMO, wasted money...............

15. BBC SPONSOR
    I ended up relocating my cranking battery. I ditched the plastic tray and went with a RMC Aluminum tray while I was at it. My engine cables were plenty long, but I was worried about the boat wiring cables. I was just about to extend them when I got to looking and realized i could pull them out and reroute them without extending so it worked out perfect.

16. Member
    That pic looks identical to my battery and tray. I've got the same tray as you. The factory one is not a good tray for in our boats. One thing I did change though was adding battery posts that get mounted to the lugs on the battery then I attached my ring terminals to the threaded post on the new terminals. I read about it over on the 3 liter forum and Don Weed recommended going with them. Something about better connections to the inside of the battery.

This is some good info here:

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...ed-3-15-a.html

He shows what I was trying to describe.

Found it......these are what I bought at advanced auto

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...ery+terminals#
    Last edited by AllyFishing; 07-15-2015 at 07:59 PM.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

17. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a set of clamp on posts hanging in the garage, just wasn't sure if I really needed them. I bought them for my last boat and never installed them. I may stick them on tomorrow if I get a chance.

18. Member
    You know it's nice to know that the Ally guys can listen to each other and take ideas from each and make them work. I know of a few G owners who won't take advice for nothing. My 206 G had holeshot and chine walk issues. Solved most of them just by moving the weight out of the ass end of the boat. The G is fat in the ass to begin with. Once my weight was moved around my issues disappeared. Imagine that....
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Between moving the battery and adding an anchor to the rear passenger side my boat was dang near perfectly balanced today fishing a tournament solo. I ran it up to 89 @ 5700 running against 65,000cfs directly below Kentucky Dam, she was still pulling and I had pedal left with trim around 6.5 on SC. Engine is around 1/2" below.

20. Member
    Tim,
    That's good running. How do you like the way the Ally fishes as compared to the Bullet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast