Thread: Z21 Keypad

Z21 Keypad

Can someone please give advise or help me with my keypad issues. I tried everything that was posted in the forum. Took negative off, cleaned terminals. Took off brain neg off. Removed keypad plugs and replaced back in. So, after all of that, the keypad worked one time boat and everything started up. Working fine, then I shut it all down, and tried it again and everything shut off and the entire key pad flashes, excepted for the gas tank stays lit. Its seems like it a short or something. Last year I had same problem, went and spend almost five hundred for a new keypad and brain, still had same problem. Took to shop, they said was terminal issue with the battery. They fixed it, worked well all last year and beginning of this year. Then last week it started acting up. I tried everything so, I'm not sure what it can be now.

ProStaff Member
    www.
    powerteamlures.com
    www.power-pole.com
    www.wootungsten.com
    www.rapala.com
    www.riotbaits.com
    www.basssnax.com

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    1)Still using the same charger during period of past pad failure and now after its' replacement? Still have the same battery? Makes/models?

2)When you are ready to power your charger, do you 1st disconnect the boat console (and pad) by switching the main breaker to OFF?

3)When finished charging, do you always disconnect charger from AC power before activating Keypad?

4)Was battery charger checked for excessive AC leakage/ was it checked with a MAX VOLTAGE Meter for possible high voltages? Is MAX charging voltage measured over 15 volts?

5)Did motor's charging output get checked for an over-voltage issue?

6)Any Power Poles/ jack plates or other large amperage loads added to boats electrical system? Powered from console or direct from battery?

7)Any battery issues/failures? Motor ever die and not be able to restart.

8)Any radio (RF) equip on board?

9)Any combiner or 'charge on run' device aboard?

10)Any wing nuts used on the battery? Connections always clean? Was the threaded battery post ever possibly overtightened and may have broke an internal battery weld?
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 07-26-2014 at 03:41 PM.

3. Banned
    Probably need to change your 50 amp breaker. Had issues like yours and it ended up being the simplest issue. The breaker went bad. $50 bucks for the breaker and 2 connections to hook it up. Good luck.

OKI

4. Member
    Lou. Had added poles. No problems prior same charger. Brand new odyeesy bat minn kota charger

ProStaff Member
    www.
    powerteamlures.com
    www.power-pole.com
    www.wootungsten.com
    www.rapala.com
    www.riotbaits.com
    www.basssnax.com

5. Member
    Ill try the breaker

ProStaff Member
    www.
    powerteamlures.com
    www.power-pole.com
    www.wootungsten.com
    www.rapala.com
    www.riotbaits.com
    www.basssnax.com

6. Banned
    Jason,
    Use the above as a checklist for pad issues. Can you answer them once you get it checked?

7. Banned
    OBTW pinned in maintenance

8. Member
    I don't have a cut off for my power with cranking battery, just trolling motor battery. I only have a little breaker switch, in which i have noticed it has little crack in the plastic. I continue to check all of the other things.

ProStaff Member
    www.
    powerteamlures.com
    www.power-pole.com
    www.wootungsten.com
    www.rapala.com
    www.riotbaits.com
    www.basssnax.com

9. Member
    Try unhooking your Power Pole, if it's the remote Power Pole. They have been causing some type of interference problems with the key pads. Had this problem on a 2012 Z521. Removed the power poles from the system and fixed the issue.

10. Member
    Help. I am having the same issues with key pad lights flashing. Started with just stop light. Pressed and held in with no change. Replaced the breaker coming from battery yesterday with no change and now the auto bilge pump light flashes and can’t turn pumps off without tripping main breaker.

Boat: 2007 Z20. 225 Yamaha and am on my second keypad

11. Member
    The first thing I would try is to unplug the keypad completely overnight. I had to do that to mine once, after a suggestion from here, and it completely reset it. Its worked fine since.
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

Quote Originally Posted by gebass View Post
    Help. I am having the same issues with key pad lights flashing. Started with just stop light. Pressed and held in with no change. Replaced the breaker coming from battery yesterday with no change and now the auto bilge pump light flashes and can’t turn pumps off without tripping main breaker.

Boat: 2007 Z20. 225 Yamaha and am on my second keypad
    Check that auto bilge pump for a gummed up/ stuck float...you can test for it being the problem by disconnecting the plug to that pump. I had the same issue in my 07 Z21

13. Member
    thanks for the advice guys, will check the pump and also unplug the keypad.

14. Member
    Well problem solved with keypad issues. Should have clued me in when auto bilge pump light started flashing along with the stop light. The pump housing cracked and was shorting.