Banned

Water Pressure Gauge install - but with a little twist and solution

Now this water pressure gauge install its kinda normal for the most part but here's the thing. Lets say you had removed a speedo which is as large as a tach. That was my problem - had removed the analog tach for a mercmonitor and why use a common speedo that's not very accurate for the most part as I rely on the GPS for speed readouts. At low speeds, that speedo is worthless until you get anywhere over 10mph. Lot of toons can't go more than 15 and if you're trolling for crappie, you kinda need to know if you're going 3 to 5mph (same for bass - depending on how finicky they are).

So now I'm looking for something that will plug up a large hole in the dash. I finally came across the perfect gauge cover plug that SNAPS in place. I then drilled it out to the smaller 2.25in gauge size and installed my gauge. MOST of the gauge covers I found, had some kind of object that fastens to the console dash and you couldn't cut an opening into it without coming up with some kind of alternate bracket assembly.

This guy on ebay has the perfect guage snap in covers for a standard tach/speedo opening. I also added a solution for winter freezes to prevent the gauge from freezing water during those cold months. By removing the cup holder, I just reach in, remove the tip, drain the water and reconnect ready for the next fishing season. If you forget - YOU will be reminded when it PEES on you .

So you guys remembered this hole
    (if you seen my other post)

So I ran my line from the motor (top middle portion of pic)

ran it same way I did the mercmonitor cable on the starboard side and brought it out of the cupholder on the console. There I added my 3 way T, line in, line out and drain cap. Then secured the connections with cable ties. Strange thing though - I had to use my heat gun to heat up the water line to make it pliable because here it is the middle of July and it in the 60's at 4pm - WEIRD - it was COLD

Ok, so now onto the snap in cover I was talking about. I was able to hold it with my hand on the shop table and drill it out for the guage.
    Side view of gauge and plug cover. Note the tabs

Back view

front view

and now the installed view, it was a hard press fit snap, but its not gonna rotate - its there.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

Looks good Charles. Good writeup. Kindof a bummer that your 60 doesnt have a digital sender for water pressure on smartcraft. But now you just have to glance down. Far more useful than the speedo for sure.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

4. Banned
    I liked to have NEVER found a gauge cover that would snap in. The guy that sells them doesn't have them all the time and I haven't yet found any like it (YET). Now I have 4 spare gauge covers (just in case)

That snap in filler panel is pretty slick. Makes it alot easier. Making a filler panel isnt necessarily that hard but attaching it can be another story. Pretty neat setup you got ahold of there.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    Dumb question - but does the merc monitor able to show water pressure? If so - wondering why add another one dedicated to water pressure solely.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
    Dumb question - but does the merc monitor able to show water pressure? If so - wondering why add another one dedicated to water pressure solely.
    Not on the 60 hp and below.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

8. Banned
    Very good use of dash space. Nice job.

9. Banned
    Yeah, wished the motor was capable to sending WP data to the MercMonitor, that would have been nice.

The 40-60 engine class has fairly limited features which I have no idea why. You would think if its compatible they should all more or less cover the basics like wp coolant temp (oil pressur and temp for 4s) and trim. But that is where they all vary seems like.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    nice gauge adaptor cover- looks good